Gender norms for attire on Formal Ships

BoisDore

Hi All -

A big group of friends is planning to do a transatlantic on QM2 next fall, and I could use some advice on formal attire.

Questions like:

-Women in tuxedos?

-Men in long tailored tuxedo skirts?

-Full-on drag?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Hi All -

A big group of friends is planning to do a transatlantic on QM2 next fall, and I could use some advice on formal attire.

Questions like:

-Women in tuxedos?

-Full-on drag?

Cunard is formal and conservative generally speaking. There's splashes of flamboyance here and there, but I'd advise men to dress like men and women to dress like women.

Best to save the drag and gender bending clothes for pride parades.

While it is important to be true to yourself, you do need to be considerate of other passengers.

On our QM2 cruise on a formal night there was a gentleman in white tux with a big furry tail sticking out his behind.

I've never seen anything like that on a Cunard ship. There's a time and place for such interests. I'd say it's not the done thing on a cruise or voyage.

On our QM2 cruise on a formal night there was a gentleman in white tux with a big furry tail sticking out his behind.

Was this a charter trip? Considering our 7 Cunard trips, I never saw anything like that. There were some "bright" colored tuxes, but nothing like what you saw.

Hi All -

Questions like:

-Women in tuxedos?

-Full-on drag?

You could get refused entry into different venues on the ship. Being a fairly dedicated Cunarder..please follow the cruiseline's dresscodes. Make your "statement" somewhere else. If I wanted a mardi gras atmosphere, I'd choose Carnival,which by the way had a real problem with drag queens on board during a cruise a few years back. It was a large group who didn't really get permission to strut their stuff & considering a lot of "less worldly" pax go on that line, it got real interesting.

Dress how you want. I don't think it will be a big issue...certainly not women in tuxedos. People are there to have fun so camp it up!

Cunard is NOT Carnival! Pax need to follow the ship's guidelines. You don't see me wear my leather on board!

Agreed - people should check their fetishes at the gangway.

And thank goodness Cunard isn't Carnival!

Strange, however that Cunard is owned by Carnival corp. Certainly glad they have separation of the lines,though, there is some "blurring" going on