Air credit LAX to Sydney?

kreastman

That's why I have built up my miles to almost 7 figures....with one very strict rule....I don't fly any one or any thing over 4 hours in coach .

Your quote (same thread): "I am flying fromLAX to MIA infeb......and the price is only $150 pp eachway on United or American coach.."

Just curious... The quickest LAX-MIA flight is a bit over 5 hours. Why, if you won't fly anyone or anything over 4 hours in coach, are you doing 5+ hour coach flight??

Edited by Silver Sweethearts

FWIW - O gave us a $1050 credit pp for our Orlando - SYD / AKL - Orlando flight in February. We ended up booking our own PE on Qantas from LAX to SYD / AKL - LAX and found a UA flight to LAX for $199 each way. Worked well to stay over the night and break up the trip. I think we paid in the range of $1400 r/t pp on a special Qantas was running.

Qantas PE is really nice - if you can try to get a bulkhead though... the seats recline A LOT and it can be hard to get out of your seat if someone in front of you is reclined all the way. I would totally fly them again.

And finally - why does nobody talk about using miles AND $$$ to upgrade? I've heard it's a "bad deal" but we don't see that? For example, we are going to be flying from MCO to PEK and then back from HKG next March. We paid $850-ish on UA for this flight (incredibly cheap). We then used 120k points + $2400 (total, not per person) to upgrade to business both ways, which I don't think is a bad deal at all? What am I missing here?

corpkid;

Greetings! Hope all is going well with you and Don. Guess you're starting to get excited about your upcoming cruise! Hope both of you and your families a very Merry Christmas!

Back to the OP. If I'm reading your post correctly. You paid 60K miles + $2050 cash, each, for your tickets to China and back from Miami. We are booked on a Uniworld trip to China (into PEK-our of HKG) in May, along with a couple out of Ft. Lauderdale. We both spent ~$3200/ea for our business class seats for that trip. So by the math, you paid 60K miles for a $1150 ticket equivalent. This represents neither a great deal, nor a bad deal, but pretty much the going deal one would expect if they were using miles. If you're happy, you have every right to be so!!

I actually looked at a similar type deal on UA, but they would not guarantee the upgrade, they only wanted to waitlist us for the upgrade. Which meant that we could get bumped by anyone either paying the fare or in a higher tier. We passed. Good for you that is was confirmed on booking!

Your quote (same thread): "I am flying fromLAX to MIA infeb......and the price is only $150 pp eachway on United or American coach.."

Just curious... The quickest LAX-MIA flight is a bit over 5 hours. Why, if you won't fly anyone or anything over 4 hours in coach, are you doing 5+ hour coach flight??

onUAL its a 3.:30 IAH and a 2 hour flight.MIA ...no non stop and I get economy plus free upgrades..... AA has a 5 hour non stop.... I fly them in first for the 5 hour.

Thank God I don't have to fly to Hawaii KOA from LAX any more.... the 5.5 hour bus ride.....You get real tired after 10years of having to fly 11 hours to go anywhere... ( even Tahiti required me to fly to LAX since HA was not an option)