Transfer time from OPT to Sydney internation airport

RetAF98

Delta airlines just informed me that our Jan 23rd departure flight from Sydney to LAX has been rescheduled from a 1240 PM departure to a 1115 AM departure. Our ship arrives at 0700 AM. Is 4 hours 15 minutes an adequate amount of time to make that transfer?

If your ship arrives on time and you are one of the first off you should be OK, bearing in mind you need to check in 2 hours prior for an international flight. We recently returned from a cruise at OPT, and although we weren't in the first group disembarking we got a taxi immediately and were at the domestic airport about 9 am. But we were lucky as the ship arrived early and disembarkation went very smoothly (we were on Princess)

I thought it was 3 hours for a flight to the US?

I would think it would be on the tight side. I wouldn't do a Princess transfer.

You need to self disembark and either catch a cab or take the train. Personally, I would take the train. Not much traffic on the train lines to hold you up.

is there a way of seeing if there is a later flight that you can be moved to ?? tell them you have coming off a ship and that little time you feel is pushing it to get to airport in time specially if ship is late , no harm in asking

The train from Circular Quay will take approx 25mins to get to the international airport. No need to change trains either. So if you can get a train by 7:30 or 8:00 you should be fine.

I also wouldn't fret too much about 3 hrs v 2 hrs checkin time. If you have your boarding pass in your hands by 09:30 or so you'll be fine.

Of course there is the option of staying overnight in Sydney and getting a flight the next day assuming Delta won't penalise you somehow for changing flights. Would be far less stressful.

Time taken to airporrt is also dependant on day of week. Will take longer on a week day due to traffic.

Personally, i would opt for the train. Just a 5 minute flat walk to the station then 15 minutes to the international airport.

Alternatively, be first off the ship with a self walk off and take taxi (30-40 mins). You should be able to be at airport by 9am either way.

The Airport Link train is definitely the best option. It would take you about 15-20mins (with luggage) to leave the ship, walk to Circular Quay Station and purchase your tickets. The ticket would cost approximately $18AUD each. At that time of the day there are 6-8 trains per hour and the trip is about another 15 - 20mins. It goes to the Domestic Terminal then the next stop is the International Terminal. Make sure your disembarkation form indicates you need to get off early to catch your flight. Good luck.

Edited by happysnapper
addit

Just another thought. You did not say which ship you are on and some dock at White Bay Terminal, which has transport problems and is not close to Circular Quay. If this was the case you would really have to consider staying in Sydney overnight. If Delta have changed their schedule surely they should assist if you have no control over yours.

Just another thought. You did not say which ship you are on and some dock at White Bay Terminal, which has transport problems and is not close to Circular Quay. If this was the case you would really have to consider staying in Sydney overnight. If Delta have changed their schedule surely they should assist if you have no control over yours.

the OP stated they disembark at OPT

the OP stated they disembark at OPT

Thanks for the post

We were in similar change situation with United. They changed our 2:30 to 11:30 and we are arriving At White Bay

The only other option was moving back to 2:30 but increasing our trip time by an additional 14 hours. So united agreed to a layover in San Francisco and they will pick up hotel.

Delta just moved our flight up from 11:15 to 10am on 4/8/16. I called them up and ask when we need to be at the airport. They said 2.5-3 hours before the flight. I told them that was cutting a little too close, since the ship was due to dock at 6am. Since they weren't any more flights that day I ask to move my departure to the next day. And they did it without charging me any fees or price difference since they had changed the departure time. So if you can move your departure to the next day, it will take a lot of stress out trying to get to the airport.