Wheelchair vs. Scooter

sross6019

As someone who travels with someone who requires a mobility scooter another reason NOT to leave scooters in hallways is because on the majority of ships it's near impossible for 2 scooters to pass in a hallway (same goes for luggage, housekeeping carts etc).

The purpose of scooters is for maintaining some independence... totally defeated if you're attempting to get to your cabin only to find the hallway blocked :(

It was not any more narrow than when people have their suitcases outside of the rooms, or when housekeeping has their supply carts in the hallway. I saw a handful of other scooters parked outside of the rooms through the week so clearly RCI does not have a problem with it (as I said, we got permission), so neither should you.

No one here can make a single post without someone else ringing alarms and trying to police everyone.

Yes, that was already covered by another poster above, setsail, but thank you for continuing to beat a dead horse.

All I said was that we were unaware of the rule as we were told by our stateroom attendant and by guest services that it was okay for us to leave it outside, so we did so. Live and learn. No one died (SHOCKINGLY, as we created such an obstacle, I now know.)

Actually RCCL does have an issue with the scooters being stored in the hallway and is clearly posted in its website. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/accessibleseas/mobilityImpairment.do

SOLAS ( Safety of Life at Seas) Regulations, Coast Guard Regulations as well a RCCL's regulations prohibited scooters from being stored in the hallway. The room attendants don't report it as they feel that by doing so it will reflect in their tips. However people such as myself that also have to move about the hallways using mobility aids WILL report it to the Ships Security and than RCCL will have to address the issue.

It's very inconsiderate of individuals to rent a scooter with the intentions of parking it in the hallways throughout the cruise. Individuals that do so apparently have no consideration for the safety for other passengers.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Thanks for the info. The bed is by the balcony so it should work. However, I had a setback yesterday by getting a blood clot in the injured leg and ended up in the ER. So it looks like I won't go on the cruise after all my hard work.

OH NO, I am so sorry to hear about your medical issues.

Thanks for the info. The bed is by the balcony so it should work. However, I had a setback yesterday by getting a blood clot in the injured leg and ended up in the ER. So it looks like I won't go on the cruise after all my hard work.

So sorry to hear that hope they clear the clot up fast.

It's very inconsiderate of individuals to rent a scooter with the intentions of parking it in the hallways throughout the cruise. Individuals that do so apparently have no consideration for the safety for other passengers.

You know, this is truly ridiculous. I have already posted several times in this thread that we were unaware of the rule. This is the first time we have ever rented a scooter and we are not frequent multiple-times-a-year cruisers. I don't appreciate being berated over and over again for something that we did not know was an issue, especially when our room steward, and guest services (whom are not tipped employees, FYI) told us it was okay. We didn't have an intention to leave it in the hallway, we thought it would fit inside the stateroom. When we asked what we could do, they said we could leave it in the hallway.

My cruise is over and there was no issue, so there's really no reason to keep bringing it up. Will we repeat this grave offense? No, we will not. So please stick to the topic and stop attacking me for making a mistake. You people are just insufferable.

I am so sorry to hear that! It's an awful feeling to miss a cruise but you can rest and heal and then be in better condition for your next trip. Good luck!

You know, this is truly ridiculous. I have already posted several times in this thread that we were unaware of the rule. This is the first time we have ever rented a scooter and we are not frequent multiple-times-a-year cruisers. I don't appreciate being berated over and over again for something that we did not know was an issue, especially when our room steward, and guest services (whom are not tipped employees, FYI) told us it was okay. We didn't have an intention to leave it in the hallway, we thought it would fit inside the stateroom. When we asked what we could do, they said we could leave it in the hallway.

My cruise is over and there was no issue, so there's really no reason to keep bringing it up. Will we repeat this grave offense? No, we will not. So please stick to the topic and stop attacking me for making a mistake. You people are just insufferable.

Some people just can't let go.

You know, this is truly ridiculous. I have already posted several times in this thread that we were unaware of the rule.

So please stick to the topic and stop attacking me for making a mistake. You people are just insufferable.

You've said it something like twice.

No one is attacking you. They are clarifying the rules, where the rules come from, and the "whys" of the rules. This isn't a bad thing.

And talking about the rules IS part of the thread topic, because it will be good for the OP to know.

One in our party aboard Jewel OTS rented a scooter. They had to call and have the unit moved out of the hallway whenever she returned to her cabin. It was not allowed to sit in the hallway. Having staff remember to recharge the scooter proved problematic.

When I cruise with my father we use a travel chair. Essentially a lighter and narrower wheel chair designed for pushing, not self mobility. It just fits through a regular cabin door. A full size wheel chair will not unless it is folded. This works well for us. But it does reduce his independence.

Oasis class is more than 200' longer than Radiance class and about 160' longer than Navigator class. Does not sound like much, but it is in a chair.

[rant]

Sharing elevators with other passengers is very difficult. Many passengers actually force their way in front of wheelchairs preventing their entrance onto an elevator. Some refuse to make room in the elevator. This is exacerbated by the fact that elevators are often near capacity.

I wish ships would dedicate a single elevator in each bank for handicap passengers.

[/rant]

[rant]

Sharing elevators with other passengers is very difficult. Many passengers actually force their way in front of wheelchairs preventing their entrance onto an elevator. Some refuse to make room in the elevator. This is exacerbated by the fact that elevators are often near capacity.

I wish ships would dedicate a single elevator in each bank for handicap passengers.

[/rant]

Hi,

I have cruised both sides of the pond and I am a scooter user, it may be a cultural thing but I have found that the American side is worse than the European side for this (not exclusively though).

One thing I do is select which lift I would use at specific times, eg. don't use the lift near the theatre when it's chucking out go to one further down the ship, when you are in a scooter the distance doesn't matter.

One of the greatest assets I have is my gob and I use it, "excuse me" is very useful coupled with the size I am (I know I'm intimidating even when sat on my scooter :D:D:D )

Pete