Help...NCL changed my room without notice

andy2032

I booked a aft balcony on the Breakaway in March, cabin 14276. Doubled check on NCL website that I did get cabin 14276 and it was clearly stated cabin 14276. In October I find out by checking NCL website that my cabin was changed to 14278, which is a much smaller balcony. NCL did not notify me or my travel agent of the change, when contacted by my agent NCL said they don't understand what happened, that I was moved and twenty days later someone else booked my room. NCL contacted the other couple and they said no way are they giving up the room, I said the same thing and they said the other couple has the room. Now NCL has offered to give me cabin 14876 and $25.00 shipboard credit or chocolate covered strawberries. My agent wants to just accept what they offered and drop the issue. I am after final payment, so what should I do now.

What they did is still wrong. They should make it up to you

No it is not. According to the contract NCL (or actually any other cruise line) has the right to change the cabin assignment at their discretion. Only thing the contract guarantees is the cabin category (or higher) - even when the cabin has been selected at the time of the booking.

That said, personally I would pursue the matter further and wouldn't settle for anything less than $100 as they can't even give a good reason for the change so it's their SNAFU.

The balcony is the same size, that is what NCL is telling me.

If the new cabin is the same category with the same size balcony then no harm no could and you made $25. Could they have offered you more? Sure. Do they have to? No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be one thing if the OP at the very least got an upgrade. But, it looks like it was a case of a block of rooms already allocated for a group. And somehow the OP was able to obtain that room.

Either way it's 100% NCL should have given you at least $150 SBC.

It would be one thing if the OP at the very least got an upgrade. But, it looks like it was a case of a block of rooms already allocated for a group. And somehow the OP was able to obtain that room.

Either way it's 100% NCL should have given you at least $150 SBC.

And how do you calculate this "at least $150"?

If the new cabin is the same category with the same size balcony then no harm no could and you made $25. Could they have offered you more? Sure. Do they have to? No.

Well,,, the OP is now back in their original cabin and has a $25 OBC.

Have your TA ask for $100. If they say "no", take the gesture of good will and have a drink on NCL. To put it in perspective, NCL has offered $50 pp for changing cruise dates (actually moving the departure dates of cruises). So,,, a few dollars in spending money to stay in your original cabin is "o.k.".

Well,,, the OP is now back in their original cabin and has a $25 OBC.

Have your TA ask for $100. If they say "no", take the gesture of good will and have a drink on NCL. To put it in perspective, NCL has offered $50 pp for changing cruise dates (actually moving the departure dates of cruises). So,,, a few dollars in spending money to stay in your original cabin is "o.k.".

How do you figure he's back in the original cabin?

I booked a aft balcony on the Breakaway in March, cabin 14276. Doubled check on NCL website that I did get cabin 14276 and it was clearly stated cabin 14276. In October I find out by checking NCL website that my cabin was changed to 14278, which is a much smaller balcony. NCL did not notify me or my travel agent of the change, when contacted by my agent NCL said they don't understand what happened, that I was moved and twenty days later someone else booked my room. NCL contacted the other couple and they said no way are they giving up the room, I said the same thing and they said the other couple has the room. Now NCL has offered to give me cabin 14876 and $25.00 shipboard credit or chocolate covered strawberries. My agent wants to just accept what they offered and drop the issue. I am after final payment, so what should I do now.

OP - did you have a price drop and ask for it? I did on two previous cruises and when I went back and checked my reservation my cabin changed. The first time I was able to get my original cabin back and the second time I could not get my original cabin but got the cabin that was the mirror image of my original one.

The fact that the agent wants to "accept what was offered and drop it" makes me wonder if the agent didn't in fact (maybe not even on purpose) book a "guarantee" and 14276 is what was assigned? Just thinking out loud... as I'd hope a travel agent would be more willing to go to bat for a customer.

I have to agree. The TA here seems too eager to sweep this under the rug and move on. The room should never change without the TA's involvement.

I would tell the the TA that my contract for booking this room on this cruise was with THEM and that THEY need to stop blaming NCL and make this right...even if they have to rebate their entire commission.

I have to agree. The TA here seems too eager to sweep this under the rug and move on. The room should never change without the TA's involvement.

I would tell the the TA that my contract for booking this room on this cruise was with THEM and that THEY need to stop blaming NCL and make this right...even if they have to rebate their entire commission.

It was already made right. They received the same category room as was originally booked.

Same thing happened to me and they offered me a$300 OBC to change rooms.

It was already made right. They received the same category room as was originally booked.

The OP doesn't think it was made right...the offer was made (and not accepted) and the OP started the thread to get the opinions of others. If offering a same category room was making it right, then the OP would have accepted and not even started the thread.

Take that deal before NCL gives you a free " upgrade" to a mid ship Mini suite and tell your T.A. to tag your res. with a " Do not upgrade note"

On my recent Dawn cruise NCL changed our cabin the day before sailing without asking, no notification, and NO compensation. We had a lovely OK (Obstructed OV) cabin and they moved us to a stern Penthouse Suite with wrap around balcony. At least we were on the same deck...

The OP doesn't think it was made right...the offer was made (and not accepted) and the OP started the thread to get the opinions of others. If offering a same category room was making it right, then the OP would have accepted and not even started the thread.

Actually the OP hasn't responded back yet about whether or not they feel it was made right. Irregardless as they have received the exact same cabin (mirror image). And they received $25 of which NCL did not need to give. How much more right can that be made? What do the T&Cs state with respect to cabin number changing? Is it 100% set in stone with NCL not having any authority over changing it? I'm asking because I don't know and am curious.

On my recent Dawn cruise NCL changed our cabin the day before sailing without asking, no notification, and NO compensation. We had a lovely OK (Obstructed OV) cabin and they moved us to a stern Penthouse Suite with wrap around balcony. At least we were on the same deck...

Wow, no OBC or anything for the move? :D;)

I mean, how dare they!

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

When I made final payment on my stateroom, I received a computer-generated invoice showing "paid in full" -- also showing a completely different stateroom than I had booked more than a year ago. It was an upgrade in category but a terrible location. My PCC tracked down the individual at HQ who made the change - 3 weeks before final payment -- and was quite clear that (a) not notifying the passenger or the PCC about changing the room is unacceptable; and (b) the reason the room was booked so far in advance was to meet certain criteria the assigned stateroom did not meet.

My PCC was told that the room needed to be changed because of issues with the room itself. Not exactly believable since our sailing was 5 months after the change was made. The "solution" offered was my PCC could select any stateroom in the upgraded or previous category and NCL "would make it happen."

She tried. But we are doing a b2b2b and wanted to remain in the same stateroom. Nothing was available.

My PCC went to her management team for help. We now are in a very desirable suite -- several categories above our original booking. NCL is picking up all differences in price, including the daily service charge. And NCL threw in $25 OBC for causing the inconvenience.

Lessons learned: (1) NCL has done some strange stuff of late, and I totally believe the OP's story. (2) Find a TA or PCC who will fight for you. (3) You need to find someone at NCL who can make a management decision. I'm sure mine was made at fairly high level within the organization. That is one of the nice things about dealing with a PCC versus an external TA. (4) Don't give up until you get an acceptable solution. We would have been delighted with a whole lot less -- but our TA insisted we get VIP treatment. Needless to say, we are absolutely thrilled at how NCL decided to resolve the issue. We were pretty loyal NCL fans before. I think we moved into the die-hard category...!

Show my email to your TA. Your problem needs to be bucked up the ladder. Good luck!