Question: Recommended Western Caribbean Excursions?

Keisele

I highly recommend the Atlantis submarine excursion in Cozumel. You go down to a hundred feet and tour the coral reefs for about 40 minutes. It's quite spectacular. I would also recommend the Chaccobean Mayan ruins tour from Costa Maya. The site has three large restored pyramids.

We booked Captain Marvin for the Stingray City snorkeling in Grand Cayman. It was great. In Cozumel, we took a taxi to Chankanaab and had a wonderful day there. Be sure to check out the Ports of Call board here. There's lots of info on all the ports.

We're doing the Jungle River Tubing in Montego Bay. Sounds like fun. Stingray city in Grand Cayman shouldn't be missed and if you like history, I would recommend Tulum at Cozumel. It's also a beautiful view of the Caribbean. I think Tulum is the only Mayan ruins built on the coast.

I had a great time at Dunn's river last year. Doable even for a coach potato such as myself, very fun. Jamaica is gorgeous and very friendly. I never got scared at all, but I did have to turn my back on a couple of pushy street vendors. Not the end of the world. This is not appropriate for kids under 8yo I think.

Grand Cayman is so-so, scenery is boring and not enough to do. Our 4yo liked the turtle farm, but that was done in 20 ninutes top. We decided not to do the sting rays because our kid was too young, but that must be really fun. The beaches and the scuba diving are sooooo awesome in Grand Cayman, don't miss it! The submarine tour was not so great other than now I can say I've been on a submarine.

In Cozumel we had a great time at Chankanaab, laid back, pleasant, great pineapple drinks on the beach, it was the perfect day at the beach with our 4yo.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;5;22;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Diamond Princess HERE WE COME! Alaska has never been so cool! 5/22/04

May 31, 2003 Carnival Triumph to Western Caribbean.

Hi Keisele,

We were on the grand in 2002 and loved Captain marvin's tour in Grand Cayman and Tarzan tours in Cozumel.During Tarzan tours we drove a dune buggy for 2 filled with all of the soda, water and beer you could possibly need. There were about 7 buggies all together and we rode along this fun trail along the ocean. My husband loved driving the buggy through puddles. We really had a blast. It even included lunch. The highlight of our trip.Lisa

Another vote here for Captain Marvin's for the stingrays in Grand Cayman. In Cozumel, we went to Mr. Sancho's (beach) and had a wonderful time. Soft white sand, impossibly blue water, very clean everything, great food, and a water trampoline thingy that my son loves. Going there again next March!

-gina-

Grand Princess, here we come!! 3/12/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2005;3;12;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Disney Magic: 2/02, 2/03, 2/04

In Cozumel we enjoyed the San Gervasio ruins tour. We've been on many Mayan tours on other cruises, but this one was nice because it was short. The whole excursion was only 2 1/2 hours. And, while the ruins are not that extensive (no really large or elaborate structures) most of it is shaded and the walk is very flat, which was great for Northerners like us who thought the 90 degree heat was an oven. We also had a fantastic tour guide who gave us a lot of good historical information about the site. And learning that this sight was one of great importance to the Maya (they were required to make at least one pilgrimage here during their lifetime) it made it a little more special than the other tours we've been on. It's the only ruins site excursion from Princess on Cozumel. All the others, you have to ferry over to the mainland. This tour was the perect length and gave us plenty of time to spend in downtown as well.

Our last time there in January the sea was so choppy almost all of the ship's excursions were cancelled (lucky to have been able to tender) so we had to use our PlanB.

Spent a very nice day at Eden Rock snorkeling and then on the patio area next door at Paradise. It's only two blocks from the tender dock and makes a great PlanB:

Eden Rock Paradise/Abanks Dive Snorkeling (Review) *

Happy Sailing! icon_cool.gif

* This review is posted in the Ports of Call Section under Cayman Islands.

on grand caymen the stingray city tour is a must do. be careful not to stand behind a stingray if its being held by someone... my son and I got whipped by its tail ouch...and on cozumel take a cab to chankanaab park. You can snorkel, swim w/ dolphins, sunbathe, etc. That was a great day for us last year. be sure to leave enough time for kahlua purchases on the way back to the ship. Also, pure vanilla sold in 750 ml bottles is a good and also tasty buy.

CARIBBEAN PRINCESS 8/04

CONQUEST 2/03

DESTINY 2/01

CARNIVALE 8/83

You must, must, must swim with the dolphins when you are in Cozumel. We just got off the Grand and that was the highlight of our trip. Our kids (10 and 14) are constantly watching the video. It is is Chakanaab park and you can also enjoy your day there. We did the royal swim which was an hour swim with the dolphins. I booked it directly through dolphindiscovery.com and paid with my credit card. It is a little cheaper than the cruise ship and we just took a $10 taxi to the park. Also, you will be assured of getting it since it is extrememly limited. Book early.

In Montego Bay we did the Canopy Tour. It was terrrific and we would do it again in a second. We took our kids, 12 & 15 and they just loved it. It was exciting, thrilling and daring. In Cozumel we rented a jeep and toured the island on our own. It was a great time. Our favorite places were Coconuts, the best Margaritas with a view of the ocean that is outstanding. Chen Rio was an uncrowded beautiful sand beach. We stopped at many other sites along the way. However, if this is your first trip there you might want to get in some terrific snorkling. We did the first 2 times there and last week decided just to rent the jeep.

Caribbean Princess 4-10-04

Royal Caribbean 11-01

Celebrity 6-99

Sun Princess 3-98

We booked Captain Marvin's for the stingray tour in Grand Cayman, I highly recommend this tour and we swam with the dolphins at Chankanaab Park in Cozumel, this was the highlight of our trip! We did book this excursion through Princess and it did cost a bit more, but the price included the taxi ride to and from the ship, but not the admission to Chankanaab. Have fun on your cruise!

Rose icon_cool.gif

Next cruise on Caribbean Princess 10/30/2004!!

Vacation Nut-

The Canopy Tour is AWESOME. It is a series of lines that you zip-line from, from tree to tree in the jungle! It is very professionally done and safety is of the most importance. They first gear you up with harnesses that go around your waist and through your legs. Then you take a short walk (10 minutes or so) through the jungle to a swinging bridge. Here you use a safety strap as you walk across the bridge, one at a time. It is quite narrow. You go over a river, actually the tubing river. Then you go to the first platform which is up in a fig tree. Once you are on the platforms you are always safety strapped onto a harness. Throughout the entire journey you are always harnessed in so you can never fall and let me tell you, you are very high up in the trees. Then it begins, you go through a series of zip-lines from tree to tree landing on the SMALL platforms. Some are short and one is over a 1000 feet long. That one is unbelievable. You go over valleys, rivers and trees. The entire experience is so wonderful. It is quiet, with an occasional scream, and you can hear birds singing. If you are afraid if heights then beware. I am very afraid of heights but my kids wanted to go so I did and I am glad that I did. The first zip-line for me was terrifing but after that it was amazing. My kids loved it. On the 1000 foot one my little son didn't make it to the other side. I think he is so little and light he just couldn't make it. But he followed the directions of the guides, turned himself around and pulled himself to the platform. No problem. I think there are 8 or 9 zip-lines that you go through. I would do it again and I hope to get the chance to. Just think of Tarzan and Jane and that is the experience that you will have. Except you are harnessed in and the guides help you go from platform to platform. If you want to give me you e-mail address I can send you a picture or two so you can see what it is like.

Caribbean Princess 4-10-04

Royal Caribbean 11-01

Celebrity 6-99

Sun Princess 3-98

We did the sub ride too but in Grand Cayman- same company, different place. I think its a thing everybody should do once just to say you did, here's some video of it:

http://www.lifeiscruising.com/grand_cayman1

In Jamaica we hired a cab for the day and took a tour of the island on our first visit and liked it so much we found our same driver on every call there since. For a great day there just walk to the end of the pier where the cab drivers are anxiously awaiting your arrival and ask for Lincoln Stewart. He'll take good care of you.

Here's more on that:

http://www.lifeiscruising.com/jamaica

Cozumel, to us, is Playa Sol, a beach place we go to

http://www.lifeiscruising.com/cozumel

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/26/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

Diamond Princess 12/22/04

Carnival Miracle 03/13/05