New to Princess - Emerald

victoryrn

I haven't cruised in several years and back then was loyal Celebrity cruiser. This time we only have 5 nights and have to leave from FL so was thinking of Emerald on Feb 6. We are a small group my son, his wife and 2 year old daughter and the two Grandmas (we are young 50 somethings). We would like to get two balcony cabins perhaps one being a suite. I've heard some cabins are more noisy?

When this ship goes into dry dock, what are they going to be doing. Is it one of their older ships?

My son really enjoys fine wine - how is the wine selection? OK enough questions for now. Thanks

We love the Emerald Princess.

As far as cabins, I would avoid the Riviera deck cabins under the pool areas.

Some people have posted that there may be sound issues with cabins directly over the Deck 7 aft Club Fusion. Some said there might be issues with Lido deck, underneath the starboard side where the exercise equipment is.

You might want to consider adjacent minisuites.

Princess prides itself on the wine selection, and has a special area called "Vines" that would be worth your son visiting. They also offer a wine tasting sometime during longer 7 day cruises. I'm not a wine connoisseur by any means, but have noticed they have a nice selection from around the world.

The Emerald Princess’ first voyage was in 2007, so like any ship there is some wear. It certainly was in nice condition 2 years ago when we were on board, and recent reports indicate that it is still good condition. The ship is currently in dry dock for some routine maintenance. It is also reported that Sabatini’s Italian restaurant will be transformed into the new SHARE, and portions of the Wheelhouse Bar will be transformed into the Gastropub.

Cabins:

If you want a full suite with a balcony cabin next door then there are only a few locations on the ship. There are two family suites on deck 9. You may also wish to look at the mini-suites also on deck 9. The mini suite has sufficient space for the 2 yr old in a separate bed.

Wine

A large selection of wine by the glass at Vines on deck 5 in the Piazza.

Two mini-suites would out quite well for you.

Emerald's dry dock is coming right up to be completed by December19th.

Emerald is one of our very favorite ships. We'll will be cruising on her in January. :)

LuLu

Edited by OCruisers

My son really enjoys fine wine - how is the wine selection?

The selection is "adequate" and the prices are not ridiculous. The wine selection on board is similar to what you would find in a grocery store. Mostly high volume, institutional wines. The sheer volume of wine sold fleetwide makes it impractical to carry and sell wines from smaller, boutique wineries. The purchasing department thinks in terms of buying hundreds of cases of a particular wine, not 4 cases of a highly allocated wine. So he can expect popular wines that are perfectly acceptable, but he won't find any real gems.

However, if your son really enjoys fine wine and is particular about quality and vintage, he can bring on board as much wine as he likes from his cellar, or purchased from a wine shop near the port. The ship will have the most recent vintages of pretty much everything on the list. If he doesn't think that 2012 or 2013 Cabernets are ready to drink, or that 2013 Pinots need some time in the bottle to come around, or that 2010 BdMs will be great...20 years from now, he can bring along wines that he prefers to drink. Each adult can bring on board one bottle (750ml) free of charge, and all bottles after that are assessed a $15 corkage fee at time of boarding. If the "free" bottle is consumed in the cabin, it remains "free". If it is brought to a public venue like a bar or restaurant, it is assessed a $15 corkage fee at that time. The bottles that were assessed the fee at the time of boarding can be consumed anywhere on the ship without further payment. So if you have a son, daughter-in-law and to Grandmas traveling together, each can take on a bottle for free. That's 4 free bottles. Plus, your son can supplement that if he wants to with additional bottles at $15 per bottle.