My first cruise... and I'm going solo!

MotionOfTheOcean84

So like many others posting here you could say I am having "first cruise jitters" haha. It doesn't help the jitters that I am cruising solo! I love to travel and am a quick learner but I need some help getting up to speed on cruises. I've checked out the thread for my cruise (Celeb Eclipse leaving Miami Dec 13) and it is helpful, but I need some pointers. What are your experiences with cabin crawls? I just learned about them today and there is one being planned, but what is the age range generally and how is the atmosphere? I am very friendly but do better to make new friends after a drink or two :) Also, there is talk of a bar crawl in Cozumel... How would one go about booking said bar crawl? Any other tips you have for good ways to meet other like-minded cruisers would be hugely appreciated!!

So like many others posting here you could say I am having "first cruise jitters" haha. It doesn't help the jitters that I am cruising solo! I love to travel and am a quick learner but I need some help getting up to speed on cruises. I've checked out the thread for my cruise (Celeb Eclipse leaving Miami Dec 13) and it is helpful, but I need some pointers. <snip> Any other tips you have for good ways to meet other like-minded cruisers would be hugely appreciated!!

Congratulations on your first cruise - the ship should look beautiful in mid-December.

Regarding cabin crawls - the age range is anyone interested in seeing other cabins! I think they are a great way to meet other people and you get to see staterooms you might never be able to afford. The cabin crawls I've been on have been fun and sometimes loud. Everyone has been very upbeat, including the very accommodating gentleman who invited us in to see his stateroom after we knocked on the wrong cabin door. Our last cabin crawl started in one of the ship's bar - always a good meeting place. I've been on crawls where the last stateroom visited was a suite and the host provided nibbles so people could talk and get to know one another better.

Hope you have signed up for the Connections Party - a great way to meet people. If your Roll Call is having a Sail-Away gathering you'll be able to meet people there. If you have any interest, the Hot Glass shows are fantastic and you can talk to the artists after the shows.

If you have chosen Select dining, at each meal you can be seated at a large table - usually 8-10 people I think. That is a good way to meet others - ask them about their travels - people love to talk about where they have been. Also check the daily "newsletter" for ship sponsored events for solo travelers or any other activities that sound interesting. (Don't forget your yellow hilite marker.)

See if anyone on the Roll Call has put together any private excursions - since you already know a little about them from the Roll Call they won't feel like strangers.

Smile a lot and say Hi to anyone who looks interesting. Chat with people in the elevators about the next port of call. Challenge yourself to do something outside your comfort zone once every day.

And most of all - have an absolutely wonderful cruise!

P.S. - I used to live in Midland, MI and my brother lives near Oscoda - beautiful up there.

Edited by MarKay525

So like many others posting here you could say I am having "first cruise jitters" haha. It doesn't help the jitters that I am cruising solo! I love to travel and am a quick learner but I need some help getting up to speed on cruises. I've checked out the thread for my cruise (Celeb Eclipse leaving Miami Dec 13) and it is helpful, but I need some pointers. What are your experiences with cabin crawls? I just learned about them today and there is one being planned, but what is the age range generally and how is the atmosphere? I am very friendly but do better to make new friends after a drink or two :) Also, there is talk of a bar crawl in Cozumel... How would one go about booking said bar crawl? Any other tips you have for good ways to meet other like-minded cruisers would be hugely appreciated!!

a cabin crawl is nothing more than a group of people cramming themselves into your room to get a look at it. while I have never seen kids participate( mostly because they happen right after a Meet n Mingle and I have never seen kids there either) there are no actual restrictions unless the organizer imposes one( for instance if 50 people want to participate they may break it up into smaller groups) this a GREAT way to see what other cabin types look like for your next cruise adventure.

any other activities like that or a pub crawl in port are solely discussed/organized on the thread in the Roll Call form for your cruise.

find a public space and hang out. only way to meet new friends.

Search on this site for Celebrity ROLLCALLs for your cruise. Also, ask whomever you booked with for a singles/solo table. Great fun but not always available.Ask now, not upon boarding. You will find any cabin crawls listed on rollcall.

Edited by zoncom

Congrats on your first cruise!

I've so far been on just two cabin crawls. One of them was very organized on a brand new ship with lots of different room classes on display. It was really interesting and so much fun to see all the different possibilities. A word of warning. It will make you want a bigger room with more balcony big time! As far as making friends better after a drink we went on that one right after the meet and mingle where they served free drinks. It seemed to work out quite well. After it was over a group of us went to one of the bars to continue enjoying ourselves, too.

On our last cruise we were on more of a casual cabin crawl. Not as much participation and only a couple of larger cabins on show, but we still had a lot of fun. On that one we all went by the bar to pick up drinks first and took them with us around the ship.

As far as bar crawls go, I am not sure how you book them. I think unless your group is pretty large you just go to a bar, see how you like it, and then go to another one. Probably the best place to ask would be over in the ports area under Cozumel, though. The nice thing about CC is there is always a group with extensive knowledge of any port who can point you in the right direction.

Welcome to the wonderful world of solo cruising!

I don't know if Celebrity does this but I have been on cruises where there is a bar crawl onboard. Be sure to check your daily program to see if there is one on your ship.

I have been on only one cabin crawl and I hosted my cabin. We had a very active roll call and had over fifty signed up for the cabin crawl. One couple planned the whole thing (making sure all the cabins were different grades, dividing everyone into groups, setting up the order of visitation, etc). We all enjoyed seeing the different cabins.

Enjoy your first cruise and be prepared to be hooked on cruising!