Beach Day

JLBellaCC

We have been trying to decide between the three beach areas- Carambola, Cockleshell, Shipwreck Beach Bar areas- then I saw someone mention in another person's post, why not visit all of them? So I got to thinking that it might be fun to do a "Tour d'Beaches! So, fellow CCers- how would you do this? Farthest beach first- Cockleshell, then make our way back? Should I rent chairs in advance at Carambola- or would that put a time constraint on the day (maybe go here first with a reservation! then move on from there?) Will taxis be readily available at the beaches when we choose to leave? And which area is best for eats? I am mostly torn between Shipwreck and Spice Mill- but other recoms are welcome! Now I see I have spelled Cockelshell wrong throughout the post..... Oh well! Thank You! Also, maybe we could walk from Carambola to Shipwreck area? Is there another beach area worth adding to the tour?

Coclkeshell is a nicer beach in my opinion. You have Reggae Beach Bar (not recommended- the day I went was filled with young 20 year olds, drinking in the water, loud music and the water was very cloudy the thought of a bacteria cess pool came to mind. Continuing along the beach, you have smaller beach bars, chairs, umbrellas, food etc. At the other end of the beach is Spice Mill, classier looking place more of an upscale feel to it.

The beach is wide at all parts of the beach, sandy brown sand with some black. I would recommend water shoes if your feet are sensitive to walking on sea shells. Water is clear and warm with no seaweed.

The roundtrip taxi is $14.00 per person in a shared taxi.

Friars Bay which is closer has Shipwreck and Carambola. The beach in front of Shipwreck is non existent you are walking on the water edge. The sand is pure black. Shipwreck is also in front of the reef with warning signs about the sea urchins. The safe swimming area is on the other side of the small dock, but you can not put a chair on the sand on that part as there's no beach.

Carambola is ok, crowded at times. The beach section on their end is wide and the water is warm and seaweed free.

The taxi cost is $8.00 roundtrip. Plenty of taxis available to take you wherever you want to go.

Having visited both, I feel that Cockleshell is a more spacious and scenic beach. You have several venues and a nice view of Nevis across the straits. North Friar's (Shipwreck and Carambola) is also okay, but narrower. Whether you can walk easily from one end to the other might depend on the tide.

Taxis are easily available at Carambola. Cockleshell is further away and would require more advance planning. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to visit all three areas, with the proviso that Carambola is likely to fill up the later you go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There are snorkel rentals at shipwreck and at cockleshell.

When I was at south Friars we had chairs at Carambola. Snorkelled there and saw starfish and turtles. We walked down to shipwreck. Ten minute walk. Several other beach bars with chairs along the way. Shipwreck beach area is very eroded and their lounge chairs looked very old and run down. We did not snorkel there, just had drinks.