Amtrak to and from NYC for Breakaway cruise

Toya1228

Will a 12:00 pm departure for Amtrak be to early to book for my return after we return to the NYC cruise port? I am not worried about getting to NYC since we will be there a day early but the return has me worried if I will have enough time. Thanks for any suggestions

Most arrivals back into port are fairly early. I'm not sure what the arrival in port for your specific cruise is, but if you let guest services know of your trains departure time, they will get you off the ship in plenty of time as people with early flights/trains get priority debarkation

I'd give them a call now so they can get you situated and then you won't have to concern yourself with it any further.

It's possible, but could be cutting it close, if there's any delay at all in disembarking. We did the same thing in 2014, but took a later train home. Even though we waited a little at Penn Station, I was relieved as it was an absolute horror show getting off the Breakaway (after 11am before we were picking up our luggage in terminal) & then grabbing a cab to Penn. Perhaps it would help if you did the early "walk-off" with your luggage.

Good luck & enjoy your cruise!:)

Edited by CRUZIN'NANA

When we took the train, we did the walk off with luggage and were off the Breakaway and at Penn Station at 8:15 am. Ended up being able to change to the next train and were back home before our original scheduled train left.

Of course it doesn't always work that way and is a chance you take.

Make sure it's not a "parade" day. My brother disembarked the Breakaway on St. Patrick's Parade day. No cabs to get him to Penn Station. On top of it, he was on his way to Boston. Parade there, too. When he finally got to his car, his battery was dead. He got home to New Hampshire and said he was never leaving home again!

You will be fine and even have time to spare

Remember they will throw you off the ship by 10 am anyway

Penn station is very close to the port

A nice walk or a quick cab away

You must be a walker, because to me that's a really long walk. The port is around 52nd St and 12th Ave, and Penn Station is 34th and 8th Ave. That's a haul, especially with luggage.

I think you'll be fine with a noon train.

Some of the official Breakaway arrival times have been 10a, yes, also reports of early arrival, but not ALWAYS.

Another issue- is their transportation to Penn Station? If they are only going to manage to just head to the cab line- you can easily have lines with over an hour wait. IF you cross the steet (MUST not have any mobility limits, and pack light) you will be competing with several others, with you having the ability to move to the head of the "line", you'll need to out walk others down the block to snag a cab before them. May want to consider car service.

I have walked it, but usually I take the 42 bus to Port Authority/Grand Central? (depending where I need to go)

Normally I would say yes but you never know. We were on last May and arriving into Penn Station we had no issues getting to the port. We took a cab and with traffic it was about 20 minutes....but leaving was a mess. We chose to keep our luggage so we could walk off soon after breakfast like we have done before on numerous cruises. Unfortunately customs took longer to clear then had a major backup. As people were trying to disembark they were just cutting into the lines and people were ready to fight. It was a mess. We made it out and got an awesome cabbie that knew about a parade and went around that...made it with minutes to spare.

Will a 12:00 pm departure for Amtrak be to early to book for my return after we return to the NYC cruise port? I am not worried about getting to NYC since we will be there a day early but the return has me worried if I will have enough time. Thanks for any suggestions

Whenever pax have somewhere they need to be noon or before, it's important to do the easy walk off with your luggage. That usually happens before NCL begins calling colors for luggage for those who leave their luggage in the hallway the night before. So, keep all your luggage, eat an early breakfast in the buffet, plan to walk off with all your luggage at before 8:30 and you should be fine. The key is you can't have more luggage than you can carry/roll off yourself. They will not even let you off the ship before they begin calling colors if you don't have all your luggage with you.

Edited by drvalo

If you don't take your luggage, but choose a earlier departure: my advice get a porter! As you get to your luggage they will take you and your luggage right to customs, the tiny line. Rather then cross the street to wait in a line for a cab, they will take a immediate left to a elevator upstairs to the taxis dropping off the next week cruise guests. Again no line, no wait, no lugging..

Best 20 bucks ever!

We went on the Breakaway - got off Sunday the 29th of November the busiest travel day. We took our luggage and walked off - we were at Penn Station with plenty of time to spare for our 1115 am train. We took the taxis from the upstairs floor - not the ones across the street and had no wait.

A good plan if you are travelling with a group is to use the RED CAP service thru Amtak - they will allow you to get on the train first with your luggage for only a tip. This proved very valuable for our group because the train was totally full.

No worries.

Our February Breakaway Cruise shows arrive in port at 6 AM - it never occurred to me I might not make a 10 AM train. (I figured to depart around 8 AM, grab a taxi, and get there in plenty of time.)

Now this thread has me worried.

Would I be better off with a noon or after departure?

If you don't take your luggage, but choose a earlier departure: my advice get a porter! As you get to your luggage they will take you and your luggage right to customs, the tiny line. Rather then cross the street to wait in a line for a cab, they will take a immediate left to a elevator upstairs to the taxis dropping off the next week cruise guests. Again no line, no wait, no lugging..

Best 20 bucks ever!

Awesome. Thanks. I booked a 12 pm train so I think we will have enough time judging the replies. We are in the Haven so my DH is hoping we will get off in time. Thanks everyone for the suggestions

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Our February Breakaway Cruise shows arrive in port at 6 AM - it never occurred to me I might not make a 10 AM train. (I figured to depart around 8 AM, grab a taxi, and get there in plenty of time.)

Now this thread has me worried.

Would I be better off with a noon or after departure?

We did this a few years ago and booked a train later in the afternoon. We made it to Penn so early, that we were luckily able to get on a 10 am train and reduce our wait time. I think you'll be okay to do noon or earlier.

Awesome. Thanks. I booked a 12 pm train so I think we will have enough time judging the replies. We are in the Haven so my DH is hoping we will get off in time. Thanks everyone for the suggestions

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

As a Haven guest the conceirge will take you on a private elevator off the ship, keep to the right and follow Haven signs, don't join the rest of the crowds until you are in the building where your luggage is. At that point Haven is over. If you get a porter then that line is very small in comparison.

You will be fine. Make sure you enjoy breakfast in the Haven or in your room before you go..