Nostalgia

brazilgirl

From a personal standpoint it would have to be these photos...living in New York and with family near London I would give a limb or two to have Concorde still about:

Mach2.jpg

PagesignedbyCaptainMikeBannister5thSeptember2002.jpg

I did write up a report about my LHR-JFK flight in 2007, which was 5yrs after my flight. Apologies for the broken photo links:

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/trip_reports/read.main/107383/

Edited by fbgd

Flew a chartered Concorde in 1985 from LHR to the Oshkosh airshow, with a stop at JFK to clear Customs/Immigration and refuel. Great but all-too-brief experience. The pound sterling was at a record low to the dollar, and the trip cost only about $600.

Flew a chartered Concorde in 1985 from LHR to the Oshkosh airshow, with a stop at JFK to clear Customs/Immigration and refuel. Great but all-too-brief experience. The pound sterling was at a record low to the dollar, and the trip cost only about $600.

I almost did that flight! I was living in England at the time and grew up about ten miles from Oshkosh, been going to the fly-in since it moved there in 1970. But I didn't get my master's thesis done in time to go. Still bummed about it 30 years later.

In 1993 my parents came to visit me when I was living on Guam. We went up to Saipan for the day and flew back on a Continental DC-10, which came from Japan, stopped on Saipan, and then went to Guam. There was, I kid you not, a grand piano in the lounge in the front of the plane.

• 3 weeks later...
Some wonderful photos of the " Golden Age " of flying

http://m.wimp.com/awesomeflying/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In all fairness, in those days the First Class or Business Seats were only slightly better than economy. The benefit was access to the lounge. A Boeing 747-100 or 200 (what I think some of those photos are from) had a second floor but it only had a few windows and not a lot of room. A lounge was a reasonable use of that space.

Today a international business or first class seat open to a flat bed, has walls for privacy and a private TV. Not bad at all in comparison.

For passengers in Economy the real difference between back then and now is the seats use to have padding. Today they are competing with a city bus in terms of who had more padding in their seats.

In all fairness, in those days the First Class or Business Seats were only slightly better than economy. The benefit was access to the lounge. A Boeing 747-100 or 200 (what I think some of those photos are from) had a second floor but it only had a few windows and not a lot of room. A lounge was a reasonable use of that space.

Today a international business or first class seat open to a flat bed, has walls for privacy and a private TV. Not bad at all in comparison.

For passengers in Economy the real difference between back then and now is the seats use to have padding. Today they are competing with a city bus in terms of who had more padding in their seats.

Yes , the comfort overall is far superior I am sure.

I just did a 9 hour flight in Global First from IAD to GRU and arrived fresh and ready for the day. The turndown service and lie flight make a world of difference and we are not even talking about the top first class products. Very nice to have a truly comfortable flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great United DC-8 promo -

Great video...love them plotting routes and weather on the maps. And wonderful fashion. I am a fan of a good skirt or dress.

My first flight ever was on United in 1974 , DSM to DEN , with my Grandmother. It was so exciting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk