Complimentary wine on Odyssey

MARIANH

A bit late to the party but I also had to check on some of the prices to find the quoted figures way off the mark.

Others have done the same and posted accordingly.

I don't expect to have $100 plus bottles on free pour although premium champagne has been offered in the past when the Nicholas Feuillate ran out. They gradually worked up the list as the cellars ran dry !

Let's not lose sight of reality here. When broken down fares on Seabourn aren't excessive. You could easily spend the same amount on somewhere like Royal Caribbean when comparing like for like (cabin size) and SB offers so much more than just inclusive wine. How do you value personal space on board and being treated like a human being ?

Henry :)

Shhhhhh .... don't let the secret out.

I tried to do a comparison with Royal Caribbean when they were doing a very similar itinerary to mine (Venice - Athens). I took prices for a junior suite on RC (smaller than a Seabourn suite) and added in 'drinking money', speciality restaurants fees, tips, etc.. My conclusion was that Seabourn was around 15% - 20% more expensive which really isn't that much.

The majority of the wines listed can be found in certain American states for quite less than listed. Factors affecting prices are state distribution laws, state taxes, local competition, etc. For example in several western states, (near California production), wine prices are very competitive at supermarkets and some of the Seabourn "fine" wine is priced from $6 to $9 per bottle. If you buy a mix of 6 bottles an add'l 10% off, as standard policy. In addition, just about every month there's a sale and the "six-pack" discount is increased to 25% off and on holidays even 30% off, (the Kroger chain, dba as Ralph's, Fry's, and the now merged Albertsons/Safeway chains).

At the volume that Carnival contracts for wine, my guess is that they procure at an average cost somewhere in the $6 range per bottle.

The Nicolas champagne (750ml) is sometimes on sale at $19.95 per bottle with the "six-pack" option.

I did urge in my post "13 that we didn't get into a nugatory debate about bottleshop prices . Sadly, that is what exactly has happened. Surely what is important is does Seabourn offer wines that are acceptable to the majority of its pax.

The facts are that Seabourn is now offering a choice of complimentary wines that range from the cheap and not at all cheerful to very quaffable( IMHO). None can be described as "fine".

Thus the majority of pax should be able to find something to their taste. If not, there is always recourse to the "premium" list on which appear quite desirable wines at sensible markup. At the top end of the complimentary list are wines that would cost say around $60 or perhaps more in a landbased restaurant.

All of this seems to me to be an improvement on two years ago and certainly is better than wines I have experienced on Silversea.

Of course there is an issue around Seabourn hyperbole in describing their complimentary wines as "fine". It's about time they stopped being dishonest.

I did urge in my post "13 that we didn't get into a nugatory debate about bottleshop prices . Sadly, that is what exactly has happened. Surely what is important is does Seabourn offer wines that are acceptable to the majority of its pax.

The facts are that Seabourn is now offering a choice of complimentary wines that range from the cheap and not at all cheerful to very quaffable( IMHO). None can be described as "fine".

Thus the majority of pax should be able to find something to their taste. If not, there is always recourse to the "premium" list on which appear quite desirable wines at sensible markup. At the top end of the complimentary list are wines that would cost say around $60 or perhaps more in a landbased restaurant.

All of this seems to me to be an improvement on two years ago and certainly is better than wines I have experienced on Silversea.

Of course there is an issue around Seabourn hyperbole in describing their complimentary wines as "fine". It's about time they stopped being dishonest.

Fine wines about equal to the Restaurant always being open for breakfast and lunch. A bit much creative license.

I am sorry but I live in a Western state (Arizona) and even with discounts for multiple purchases never see prices anywhere near what Sananda posted. Most of the wines available on the Seabourn list retail for $12-20 -- and the NF Champagne is usually over $30. As others have mentioned I do think the house wines on Seabourn have improved in the last few years and with so many options you are bound to find something drinkable. No, they are no "fine" wines but they are fine to casually drink. The premium wine list is a big plus in our book with prices near retail as opposed to the near 200%

Markup many of our restaurants charge.

Ditto. We haven't seen his prices in Phoenix, either.

Ditto. We haven't seen his prices in Phoenix, either.

Greetings Phoenix/Tucson.. happening now..pick up latest flyer for Fry's Supermarket.. currently running a 4 day 30% off wine sale if you mix or match six bottles...(big selection of US, NZ, Aussie, S.American, S. Africa wines, less on the Euros).

One example: Oyster Bay (NZ), a Seabourn fine wine offering, at $11.99..six pack price (minus 30%)= $8.40 each..on the neck of each bottle is a manufacturer's coupon,(common in the USA), for $ 3 off per bottle..final price = $5.40. Good probability that Carnival procures mass quantities of this fine wine around the $4 range.

Greetings Phoenix/Tucson.. happening now..pick up latest flyer for Fry's Supermarket.. currently running a 4 day 30% off wine sale if you mix or match six bottles...(big selection of US, NZ, Aussie, S.American, S. Africa wines, less on the Euros).

One example: Oyster Bay (NZ), a Seabourn fine wine offering, at $11.99..six pack price (minus 30%)= $8.40 each..on the neck of each bottle is a manufacturer's coupon,(common in the USA), for $ 3 off per bottle..final price = $5.40. Good probability that Carnival procures mass quantities of this fine wine around the $4 range.

So what?

Surely the point is - is the wine any good as any everyday honest sauv blanc that most Seabourn pax would drink and find acceptable. IMHO ( and from watching said pax on Odyssey very recently) the answer is yes. Futhermore, what would you pay for such wine at a decent USA restaurant when their markup/ profit margin is factored in?

This wine features on many wine lists in UK restaurants and will cost you circa £24 ($ 35.?) or a bit more.

It currently sells very well in the UK bastion of middle class values - Waitrose.

It is currently flying off the shelves at a discount price of £7-50 ($12?)

So what's the beef?

Had another look at the list. Why no merlot? Hope those on board will save some of the Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc for those joining next week.

Although merlot is not on the list it is always worth asking the Sommelier if he/ she has any " bin ends". It's amazing what they have squirelled away and can produce if cultivated!

BTW you may have to sign the Official Secrets Act before you are allowed access to the Sommelers treasure trove!

Edited by MARIANH

I firmly believe in the old adage "You get what you pay for." So I decided to look up the current price of these wines in wine searcher. This is a good source because it shows prices from brick and mortar stores. You can get better prices with Amazon, but wine searcher will find more unusual things. So here it is:

WHITES

Santa Margharita Pinot Grigio ( Italy) $10.99

Gruber Roschitz Dry Reisling (Austria) $11.99

Wingspan Sauvignon Blanc( NZ) $6.70

Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc (NZ) $8.47

Frontera Sauvignon Blanc ( Chile) $4.98

Stags Leap Chardonnay ( USA) $17.99

Pascal Bouchard Petit Chablis ( France) $22.99

Chateau Saint Armand Sauternes( France) Unavailable

RED

Jamieson Ranch Pinot Noir ( California) $8.99

Castello Banfi Chianti ( Italy) $4.01

Bodegas Lan Rioja ( Spain) $6.60

Tall Sage Cabernet Sauvignon (Washington State) unavailable

Domaine Sas, Du Plo Corbieres ( France) $8.58

Zolo Malbec (Argentina) $9.95

Constentine Zinfandel (California) unavailable

Kendall Jackson Avant Cabernet Sauvignon (Caslifornia) $16.24

Penfolds Koonunga Hill Shiraz/Cab ( Australia) $6.78

Goose Ridge Cabernet ( Washington State) $10.99

BLUSH/ROSE

Beringer White Zin ( California) $3.57

Barton Guestier Cote du Provence ( France) $5.99

Centine Banfi Toscano ( Italy) $4.01

CHAMPAGNE /SPARKLING

Nicholas Feuillate ( France) $10.86

Cantine Maschio Prosecco ( Italy) $3.99

Average price per bottle of Seabourn's wines = $8.25

Wow! What "luxury". Aren't you glad you paid extra for an all-inclusive experience that provides such low end wines?

Does wine searcher ship? With free shipping?

The prices listed are at least 50% lower than what I can buy in Michigan!

Does wine searcher ship? With free shipping?

The prices listed are at least 50% lower than what I can buy in Michigan!

Wine Searcher itself doesn't sell or ship product. The companies it lists do the actual selling and shipping. Some offer free shipping or money off shipping or case discounts.

Wine Searcher itself doesn't sell or ship product. The companies it lists do the actual selling and shipping. Some offer free shipping or money off shipping or case discounts.

I would also caution about believing the prices as quoted. I used Wine Searcher to see if those prices were correct - for the first one listed, the price as shown is for a half-bottle; the second one is not shown as available in the US according to Wine Searcher, but a different varietal by that producer is; continuing through the list with mixed results, some were listed as shown, some not. Most of the prices as shown (those that I could verify) are the lowest price offered by anyone anywhere in the US, with no assumption that the price would be the same anywhere else. For many, the average price nationwide is 25% or more higher than the single lowest offering.

The larger question is why one would assume that price is a representative surrogate for quality. Having had some excellent wines that retail at $10 - $15 a bottle and some atrocious dreck that retails in excessive of $50 a bottle, I find it difficult to accept that price consistently reflects quality. The sauvignon blanc that was maligned several posts back has actually gotten decent reviews..."simple and straightforward" according to the SF Chronicle, who gave the producer (Concha y Toro) an overall excellent rating.

We are reasonably discerning wine drinkers and were unsure of the complimentary wines before our first SB cruise this year. But we were pleasantly surprised. They were of a similar quality to our everyday drinking wines with the occasional gem if you knew how to flush it out from its cave. The sommeliers tried hard to find wines to please us and succeeded well.