Seabourn odyssey-worst trip ever

gary705

We are still on the ship and they are still doing construction, they are taking some storage rooms on four and making a new crew lounge,

We have not heard back from seabourn if there will be any compensation

The noise is very noticeable

Gary 705

Thanks for coming back. Have they not offered to move you, or is the ship full?

I believe it's full next week, so guests around 514 aren't going to be happy as they're onboard for at least 20 days.

Edited by Nigella

Not sure if you can hear the construction on six, but very noticeable on 5, forward,

They are taking some unused storage rooms and making a crew lounge,

On since Thursday and still hear the noise,

No talk yet about any compensation

Gary705

They usually have to check with headquarters about compensation. When our toilet flooded twice in three days it took over a week to hear back--as we were disembarking. The offer was $750 off a future cruise, which we haven't booked yet. We usually put an open deposit down, but DH was too mad! (He has calmed down since. The second flood happened just as we were getting ready for bed. When DH is ready to sleep, no one should disturb him.)

Can't move as the ship is full

We usually put a deposit down as well, for our next trip, but if I don't hear something positive about something back, we will stick with Oceania and the new Viking oceans

Gary 705

The construction is not connected with the dining room, looks like they are building additional rooms

There was no warning and if we do not get something back after gold status, we will not be not this line again,

Appears seabourn is getting closer to carnival

Gary705

well : it IS carnival however wrapped a little bit nicer with free drinks and wines and some caviar

the line of conduct of offices and guest relations , the Obvious extremely narrow budget for FB , the parties with prosecco and average canapes ...

however service on board remains good most of the times - depending on the HM

Gary705,

Please report precisely where new crew lounges and/or cabins are being installed. For those of us who are Seabourn regulars this will be helpful as we know the layout of decks 4 and 5 very well.

Happy sailing!

well : it IS carnival however wrapped a little bit nicer with free drinks and wines and some caviar

the line of conduct of offices and guest relations , the Obvious extremely narrow budget for FB , the parties with prosecco and average canapes ...

however service on board remains good most of the times - depending on the HM

In the same way your beloved Hapeg-Lloyd IS Thompson Cruises presumably with slightly less crappy ships? You do know Europa 2 is owned by TUI?

I know you enjoyed your Europa 2 cruise and I enjoyed reading your blog about it but to put Seabourn Cruises and Carnival Cruises in the same bag is wrong. They are very different beasts.

You mentioned the Seabourn head office and guest relations suggesting they might be sub par. Not my experience. I had reason to pop an email across this week. Not a deal breaking issue, I just wanted to chat about something. To say they responded in a sympathetic manner would be something of an understement. I can't think many cruise lines would have responded in the same way.

Henry :)

It's unfortunate that at the first report of a problem on a cruise that certain posters find it necessary to question the integrity of the post just because it is not a positive report. I actually find it quite helpful to hear both the good and the bad. In this case, the OP has raised a valid concern which should be quickly addressed by Seabourn. In my (limited) experience, reporting a problem to the Square does not necessarily fix the issue. I suspect this work is being done now, before the holiday cruise, but this is really a moot point since the ship is currently full and guests are being inconvenienced so doesn't really matter if it is a holiday cruise or not.

Edited by Sunprince

Sunprince and PaulaJK,

Until and unless we know where the alleged construction is/was taking place, what it is/was for, and for how long it is/was making a disruption, we should be questioning this complaint from room 514. This has never been made clear. That was what I asked about and the answers are still pending.

In any case, in a few days we will know more when a new set of guests, friends of mine, join the ship and respond. They have no axes to grind.

Happy sailing!

Glad to read your post Sunprince. I,too, cannot construction plans being halted because I complained at SB Sq.

Please could you kindly resend as this does not seem to make sense- at least to me. BTW, Are you on Odyssey currently?

Thanks.

Edited by MARIANH

Sunprince and PaulaJK,

Until and unless we know where the alleged construction is/was taking place, what it is/was for, and for how long it is/was making a disruption, we should be questioning this complaint from room 514. This has never been made clear. That was what I asked about and the answers are still pending.

In any case, in a few days we will know more when a new set of guests, friends of mine, join the ship and respond. They have no axes to grind.

Happy sailing!

When we were on the Odyssey earlier in November, i had the opportunity to congratulate Cap'n Stig on the fine fettle of his ship, given it's age.He replied by saying it was a " constant battle". Perhaps they have brought in some heavy weapons on this cruise. It still is a shame that the OP does not respond to requests for more details rather than focus on compensation.

Incidentally, on our recent cruise we were inconvenienced for a day by a team painting around our balcony. We were given fair warning and I have no complaints. In fact I was rather pleased to see this attention to continuing maintenance. In any case we could not use our balcony for most of the cruise because of inconsiderate near neighbours who smoked incessantly on their balcony. A result of Seabourn's new " enlightened " smoking policy that is having the unintended(?) consequence of driving smokers onto their balcones to the detriment of non smoking pax! Forgive me for straying a bit off topic. And oh yes, I did complain to Customer relations only to be met with a desultory shrug of shoulders. Happy to share more details and an inflammatiry debate on Seabourn smoking policy on another thread.

Edited by MARIANH

Sorry Marianh...What I thought I typed was that I could not imagine any ship's construction work being halted simply because I complained. A shrug would be the anticipated response.

I usually read posts as a statement on a person's experience or feelings. That doesn't imply that I necessarily accept them all or agree w. Them all. But I do find questioning of the OP rather distasteful..just me. A person in one cabin can have noise, a blocked toilet, flooding pipes, etc. while those in another locale do not.

I agree on the questioning on people's motives, but personally found the OP's posts rather difficult to completely understand, and hope that he/she will explain more fully in due course. It just seemed strange to me, and maybe others, that something taking weeks would be undertaken without any explanation or apology, and actually more, to me, as to a crew facility being put on deck 4, which has to be very near to the passenger suites on that deck. Normally the crew go down the stairs on 4 to their own quarters, on 3 and maybe lower. Obviously the staff and work some very unsocial hours, and it is therefore better all round if their quarters are well separated from passengers.

Various people have said that they or their friends will be on board shortly, and we will no doubt hear more then.

I do hope that we get more clarity in the exact location of the construction. I do give give the OP the benefit of the doubt until the facts are fully known. The fact that he wants compensation indicates its more of a emotional response (which is common in these circumstances), so I would not read too much into that... Might actually be a good indicator of a real problem.

514 is directly above 412, so there are other passenger suites beside and directly below 514. The first suite on deck 4 is 408, so not sure if the construction is forward to 408, on deck 3 or where?? It does seem odd that 514 is impacted by noise unless they are taking out or renovating suites directly below...highly doubtful that is happening. Noise does travel though.

Personally I probably would put up with some construction noise rather than endure the tacky classless people with the rentlessly screaming children that we had 2 doors up from us on our Seabourn cruise.

Edited by Sunprince

Personally I probably would put up with some construction noise rather than endure the tacky classless people with the rentlessly screaming children that we had 2 doors up from us on our Seabourn cruise.

Since you mention it, personally i would put up with construction noise or screaming children or even both rather than the tacky classless people who smoked relentlessly on their balcony just near to us on our Seabourn cruise.

Like others on this thread, i am stil waing to hear details of the construction work from the OP.

Our friends currently on this cruise have not reported any problems.

There is a rumour that on the forthcoming Odyssey cruise, starting next week, Seabourn will be supplying guests with earplugs so as to reduce the noise from construction and screaming children. There might even be some device for making those who smoke on balconies fall overboard!

Edited by eliana

There is a rumour that on the forthcoming Odyssey cruise, starting next week, Seabourn will be supplying guests with earplugs so as to reduce the noise from construction and screaming children. There might even be some device for making those who smoke on balconies fall overboard!

If only!

Splendid jest.😄

Maybe someone on the ship or with friends on board could actually go to deck 4 (assuming there are passengers in suites on that deck, which seems likely) and have a look at what is going on? And whereabouts?

Very constructive suggestion.

Will try to contact friends on board. Perhaps other CC contributors could do likewise.

Have jusr emailed friends on ship. Hope they pick it up.

Edited by MARIANH

Maybe someone on the ship or with friends on board could actually go to deck 4 (assuming there are passengers in suites on that deck, which seems likely) and have a look at what is going on? And whereabouts?

I will definitely go and do this, unless someone else reports back first.