1. 1. Which ship?

• Freedom to Coz, GC, Jamaica
    • Magic to Belize, Coz, Roatan
    • Conquest to GT, DM, HMC
    • Glory to Coz, Roatan, GC, Belize
    • Splendor to DR, St Thomas, SJ, GT
    • Breeze to GT, SJ, St Kitts, St Maarten
    • Sunshine to Aruba, Curacao, GT

Have you looked at Allegiant Air? I'm not a big fan of suggesting this airline because of their limited flight schedules, but if you're price conscious, they may be worth looking into. You may have to fly in/out a day or two earlier or later to make it work. The do fly into Columbus (not CMH, but LCK).

I looked at Allegiant Air in the past for 1 cruise before. The prices were crazy cheap, but I do know that they only fly on certain days (like not the weekends or something crazy) and when I posted on here asking about it, I was really discouraged by most about the service, delays, sometimes they cancel for no reason and no flights that day and so on. I would not be able to come up with a backup plan if that happened with this cruise. But, I will search again. The airport is not located too far from us, maybe 15-20 minutes tops. :)

"My daughter will be 7 on this cruise and it has to be some time after March 25-April 3rd."

Sorry - I misinterpreted your window of opportunity - I thought the cruise needed to be after April 3.

I'm not sure if you've checked, but Frontier Airlines has been running some crazy fares to MCO from Cincinnati, if you can make them work.

Oh sorry for the confusion. :o That's one I haven't checked. I'll give them a shot as well. Thanks for the info.

OH WOW, they do have some crazy cheap prices going from my state to Orlando. I may have to think about this as well as an option. Thanks. (Although they don't have anywhere else, other than Ft Myers, which prob wouldn't work)

Edited by mitsugirly

HI all!

mitsugirly ~ you know you want to do Breeze & that's what I voted for. We seem to like the same ships (Epic, aways) & I've done Breeze twice & would do it again, especially in a cove balcony. The thrill theatre was fun, the Italian restaurant yummy & free for lunch, Taste bar nice, Guy's etc etc.

My 2nd choice would be Sunshine just because I haven't done it but it sounds good & has most 2.0 updates.

Look forward to reading your review whatever the ship! Good luck with the flights.

~ Jo ~

Jo, you are right I always have wanted to go on the Breeze. :D I do know that the Breeze is one that Kendra (the oldest daughter) has been wanting to do for the last few years and trying to talk me into it as well. However, we were hoping to get in a cruise with just us. I can assure you that the minute she finds out we are going on the Breeze, this cruising "alone" this time will no longer be. :p

(Have a great cruise on the Epic! I hope to get on her again next Nov when she returns to the U.S.)

Yeah I guess you can say people know me around here. lol Since you're traveling with kids, I can understand how having fewer ports and more sea days will be more relaxing so you can have some down time and not be constantly on the go. I still vote for the Breeze. 4 ports plus 3 sea days.

Dominica is way down in the southern Caribbean. It used to be a regular stop on the cruises from San Juan years ago, but now it's a special stop on select itineraries. I had the chance to visit last year on the Splendor and went rapelling down waterfalls. It's not super commercial like Cozumel or St. Thomas and you'll be able to do something fun and adventerous. I've been to San Juan many, MANY times (both by cruise but mostly by land) and I love the overall vibe and culture of the island. The ship docks in Old San Juan, and yes it's a nice place to walk around. You'll find yourself wanting to walk around and explore just a little bit, even if that's not your thing. They do have nice beaches (Condado and Isla Verde) though they're better for laying out and splashing around and not snorkeling. El Escambron Beach has great reviews on Trip Advisor for the snorkeling there, but it's more of a locals beach and not really a tourist beach (exactly why it's one of my faves though). Shipwreck Beach was the black sand beach I visited in St. Kitts 2 years ago (in my second Valor review). I read a review yesterday from someone that was there about a month ago said and a lot of the beach has been wiped out. I do believe there are other black sand beaches around St. Kitts though.

Also I'd skip the tri-rail. Coming with kids and a lot of luggage, I could see it as being a big inconvenience. If flying into PBI happens to be cheaper than FLL, look at renting a car. I did that a few years ago, and no joke a one way rental car to MIA was only $40. Would it be possible to fly out of a different airport in Ohio, like Dayton or Cincinatti? I'm not sure how far of a drive those are but it might be worth it if you'll save a lot of money.

Honestly having a child with us won't matter. She does everything we do and can go on like the energizer bunny. She has done every adult thing we have done from zip lining by herself at 3 in Rotatan, been snorkeling since age 3, swam with the dolphins/sharks/stingrays and jumps off a 2 story building into the ocean with no life vest. She's a daredevil and can outlast me on most things. She's at the age that she pulls her own luggage everywhere and she's pretty self-sufficient. :D So having less ports is more of a thing for me not having to get up early. :o Working a 2nd/3rd shift at the hospital for many many years has me on a different schedule than most. I'm usually going to bed when others are getting up. It's really hard for me to switch up my schedule to an early one while cruising (even though I have "officially" taken a different nursing job for a year now and don't have to be to work until 11am, I'm still on that same schedule). LOL

Rappelling down waterfalls :eek: now that sounds interesting. I would love to go to SJ and stay over night and go to the lake where they have the bioluminescent fish at night. That would be worth cruising out of SJ itself for me. I'm taking notes on the places you mentioned. I just got done with your Magic review. It looks like you had a blast and a great birthday!

I will definitely be looking up your St Kitts review as well for some ideas. I was hoping you would post which review it was in. Thanks. :)

As for the tri-rail, only 1 kid, only 1 luggage per person (and my carry on bag with the "important" papers and stuff in it.

Yes, flying out of other places like Dayton or Cinn is an option if I have to go that route and can actually find a flight for a later time to give us driving time to get there. I will definitely be checking into all these options.

We like Southwest too, but also fly Jet Blue.

Have you thought about Jet Blue out of CLE. I know they don't fly out of CMH or CVG, but flights are available, reasonably priced (approx. $1550 return for 3 to FLL) and the drive is just over 2 hours ... just a thought. We fly out of BUF to save and drive just over an hour, but know that's not for everyone!

I haven't checked Jet Blue yet, but will. $1550 for 3 to fly 1 way? :eek: To me, that's expensive. That's normally what we pay for there and back. That's over $500 pp and not at all what I would pay. :(

We're going to be on the spring break cruise on the Sunshine. I LOVE this itinerary, with Grand Turk, Aruba, and Curacao. Lots of beaches and snorkeling opportunities. It's also a great ship IMO, with the best Serenity deck at sea. Can't wait!!

So I take it you have been on the Sunshine before then? Did you find it was overly crowded? I know since they redid this ship, there were a lot of complaints about the size of the ship compared to the amount of people on the ship now. Then factor in Spring Break...yikes. That's the only thing holding me back from this. Did you go on Spring Break before?

I have been watching the same Glory and Conquest sailings. Last 2 years we have cruised with 3 other families over spring break. Our kids are all middle & high school age. Last year we were on the Sunshine and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US voted never again! Beautiful ship with great food and good shows but absolutely no deck space.

See that's what I'm afraid of. The space. While I have been on some very busy ships before' date=' they have all been much bigger ships, so more room to spread out I guess. Where you on the Sunshine during Spring Break?

I added my vote for the Breeze, both for itinerary, and ship, as well as 8 days is always better:D IMO. The others sound good too, I am sure you will pick what works best for you and family, but that one sounds wonderful to me.

Thanks for your vote. :)

I vote for the Breeze.

How do you have the time for all this cruising? LOL. I thought that you recently started a nursing job. Our son-in-law is a CNRA and he could never cruise as often as you. LUCKY YOU!!!!

Thanks for the vote. I'm pretty much allowed to vacation whenever I want. They only require me to give a 2 week notice, but I always put in months and months in advance just to be courteous. It's the hubby and his store/sales that determines a lot of our cruising. Although he can go any time he wants as well, if it's a high-volume time, he throws a fit (I always threaten to cruise without him anyhow lol...it doesn't work). Then I try my best to go by my youngest daughters school breaks (but it doesn't always end up that way depending on who is going with us). We usually have "some" of my adult kids with us, so that is also a factor of when they can go.

Nope, I have been at this job for over a year now. I know time has went by quick this past year. It's hard to believe I graduated nursing 1 year 7 months ago. :eek: I'm now back in school and just completed my first semester of the bachelor program. I have scheduled my next semesters classes in order to be able to make sure I'm off during the times I plan on cruising. :D Priorities I tell ya! (But since the classes are only 5 week classes for 3 classes each semester, it allows me to do two 5 week classes and sit out for 1 if I need to). I'm in no big hurry to complete the bachelors program and have all the time in the world. So that helps too. :p

I would do the Breeze for the extra night as well as GT and St. Maartin which I love.

Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate it. :)

Hey don't you think it time for you to give the Oasis of Seas a chance? I would love to see your review of that trip. If not Oasis, the Breeze sounds great.

Yes, I DO think it's time. However, the pricing....UGH :mad: I actually brought it up to my TA tonight and once again, just too darn expensive. Some day...I promise. :p

I meant this as a way of opening up your options of what would be cheapest and available. Rather than limiting yourself to flying into one specific airport to get a cruise. So you could look at flying into Tampa and then renting a car to drive to Miami. Creative air ticketing :)

Ohhhh...good thinking. Man I'm going to be researching my little heart out now! Thanks for clarifying that. I really really appreciate it. :)

I was just on the freedom in October and I won't sail on her again because it was too smoky throughout the ship! The glory, conquest and splendor are nice but not as nice as the magic. I haven't been on the breeze. Sunshine is OK and it looks like it has the most interesting ports of the choices you've given. The only thing I don't like about sunshine is when they renovated her they decreased the size of the public areas and increased the number of cabins which made it seem very crowded in all of the public areas. So if I was choosing among the ships that you have listed I would be torn between the magic because it's the best ship experience or the sunshine because of the ports of call.

Thanks for your opinion. I am worried about the size vs people situation on the Sunshine and it being Spring Break. I would love Magic as well. The Magic has an awesome price attached to it and ports I love too.

I would have to vote Breeze! :D Although that Sunshine itinerary is appealing, too, as I've been to all those ports and would happily visit Aruba and Curacao again. Good luck deciding. :)

Heather

Thanks Heather. I really want to visit Aruba and Curacao some time soon. I just don't know if "this" is the cruise for it yet. Ahhh decisions. :p

We are going on this breeze itinerary in a month! Wish I could tell you about it now! Last year we went on the valor out of San Juan (which has now been replaced by one of the newer ships with the 2.0 upgrades.) I know southwest flies there now! It went to st Thomas, Barbados, st Lucia, st Kitts and st marten. Snorkeled every port and it was amazing!

I was wondering why cruising from San Juan didn't come up in my search (and I didn't put any parameters in for "cruising from", I just put Caribbean). I was told tonight that it was maybe the Liberty that goes out of San Juan. I'll have to check.

LOL I hear you, that would be on the higher end, but the $1500 was round-trip, not one way!

Ohhh, I misunderstood when you said (approx. $1550 return for 3 to FLL) and thought you meant it was just a 1 way. Thanks for clarifying that. I'll check it out. :)

I'd go on 6 or 7 for the extra cruise day 😜

Were booked on the Conquest March 19th and r running into the same thing with flights......Round trip Non-Stop for 3 of us out of LAX To Ft Laud is running $1,700 currently for 3.....I keep checking each day and it hasn't changed

SW was even higher with No direct flights 🙈🙈

I'm going to keep checking and hope after Xmas it goes down a little but keep hearing because were cruising in (March) and it's Spring Break it might even go up instead of down 😳😖😖

Love reading your reviews on Carnival and NCL 😃😃

My vote - especially with your child is Sunshine, hands down! My son LIVED in sports square and at the water park when we were aboard. Plus it has the guys and Iguana you love. And Jiji's is just a MUST - quite good - even the boys loved it. Laslty, the "southern" cruises are rarer to find, and when one works in your schedule, snap it up. As you know, GT is a great place for snorkeling. Aruba has been one of my most favorite ports by far - the people are wonderful and we were able to do an island tour/norht (?) shore excursion in the off-road trucks. We not only got to see the island (it makes stops at the highlights before headed to the rough coast) but the kids had a blast bouncing all around as we drove by the rocky sea. And when we were back, we still had time to walk the market (colorful and beautiful) and grab a bite at a local restaurant. One of my best cruise days, ever - and THAT's saying something! Curacao is also has some spectacular scenery and tons to do.

Good luck picking - you won't go wrong with any of them!

Hi Kim,

A little late to the party but throwing in my two cents a a few items,

I took the tri-rail in reverse(Mia-palm beach) after a cruise with my sister, and we had 4-5 pieces of luggage between us, plus handbags...it was fairly doable. We took a cab from the port to the stop for the tri-rail, had to go up some escalators/elevators but found it easily enough. There are a few steps to get on the train if I recall, so that was a bit of a pain, but after that, there was a place to put luggage. I think it was supposed to be a 90 minute ride( this was three years ago, so forgive me if things changed) and it did stop in FLL and several other towns along the way. We were staying at the embassy suites west palm, and they had a shuttle that picked us up from the station on that end. I do think there is a shuttle that takes you to the airport as well. If you guys managed the Newark Airtrain crowd, I think you all would be fine on this.

Flights- have you checked prices from CAK? I don't know how far you are from there, but they used to have a lot of cheap AirTran flights when I lived there. Definitely a budget airline, but it doesn't charge for carryon or seat assignments like spirit. Then again, you can check those prices too....very cheap but you have the above cost.

As for cruise...I'm going to say the Breeze only bc that's a ship I want to do too lol. It does seem like a good port to ship activity combo, and I've rarely read a bad review on it.

Stacey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hands down, the BREEZE!!!:D

Sakari will LOVE the Waterworks area, ropes course, 3D Theater, etc.

The ship is just GORGEOUS and the itinerary looks SWEET!!!

Can't wait to hear what you decide.

We've been on the Breeze twice and she is our favorite ship.

Bummed that she is moving to Galveston, but we are going on the Magic in July, and she is getting all of the great 2.0 upgrades too.

Hope the airfare works out for you.

Keep us posted..

Hello fellow Carnival Cruisers! I'm trying to find a cruise for our family for my young daughters Spring Break. :eek: A lot of you know me around here (mainly for my reviews and the ports section) and you all have been so wonderful in helping me with my planning and cruises. Last April I conducted a survery of several different Carnival ships and did a poll. Everyone talked me into going on the Pride (which wasn't even on the poll :D) and we LOVED it. So...I'm counting on you to help me pick again. :p

My daughter will be 7 on this cruise and it has to be some time after March 25-April 3rd.

I have quite the list going of options so far and my head is spinning.

A little about us, for those of you that don't know me. We LOVE the beach and hanging out. I really love snorkeling, so that's a plus. We are not big drinkers, but will have a drink or two here and there, so hanging out at a bar is not our thing. We also love places that involves active things (zip lining, jet skis, cave tubing, and so on). So, we can take either a lazy day on the beach or to the other extreme of doing crazy stuff. We are NOT the type of people to do "tours" or sightseeing historical places or ruins.

We have been to the western caribbean A LOT (Cozumel, Roatan, Belize and Costa Maya). We have done the eastern side twice now (St Thomas/St Maarten).

This year, we managed to hit new ports only (Grand Turk, Freeport, HMC and Bermuda). I have to admit, I did find myself missing the "normal" ports like Cozumel and Roatan. So...that's not out of the question this time around. But I'm also open to new ports as well.

As far as the ships, we can do big or small, new or old. We are pretty happy with either. We do love the waterparks on the ships, but if they don't have them, that won't be a reason to pass it by. We also LOVED Guys Burgers and the Iguana Cantina was great for breakfast burritos. So I have made note of which ships have them and which don't. Again, not a deal breaker. I can always find something to eat. :D It's just an added amenity for us.

Above I have listed the ships I have been eyeballing. Please vote and tell me why you picked it, any experiences, or other suggestions.

Below is the information I have gathered on them from the cheapest to the most expensive (which isn't always a factor, but it sure makes it easier on the budget and what we do while in port).

1) Freedom- 7 days out of Texas to Cozumel (7-3pm) Grand Cayman (9-5pm) & Jamaica (8-4pm) (We love Cozumel and GC. Not so much Jamaica although we always find something to do there. I'm not too excited about leaving Cozumel by 3pm. It has a Guys/Iguana)

2) Magic - 7 days out of Texas to Belize (8-5pm) Cozumel (9-5pm) and Roatan (6:30-5pm) (We have been wanting to go on the Magic for awhile now and of course love Cozumel & Roatan. Longer hours is a plus in Cozumel. The only negative is no Guys/Iguana Cantina but the waterpark would be awesome!)

3) Conquest - 6 days from FLL to Grand Turk (9-5) Dom Rep (8-4) HMC (8-4) (We LOVE GT & HMC and have never been to Amber Cove yet and it looks awesome, although I'm not sure we would adventure out of the cruise port there on the first time. The negative is it's only 6 days and cost more than the other two 7 day cruises. It has Guys/Iguana/Fish place)

4) Glory - 7 days from Miami to Cozumel (8-5) Roatan (7-3) Grand Cayman (10-6) Belize (8-5) (Love all the ports and wouldn't mind visiting again. Not liking the short stay in Roatan, leaving at 3pm. Has Guys/Iguana/Fish place).

5) Splendor - 7 days from Miami to Dominica (8-4) St Thomas (11-7) San Juan (7:30-3:30) Grand Turk (11-5:30) (Love St Thomas and GT of course. We have never been to DR or SJ. Ship doesn't have the extras like Guys/Iguana but does have a kids water park that I know the munchkin would love)

6) Breeze - 8 day from Miami to Grand Turk (8-4) San Juan (1-8) St Kitts (10-8) St Maarten (8-5) (Love GT and St Maarten. Two new ports we have never been to. The hours in port seem pretty good and this is the ship of all ships that I have been wanting to go on. It's also an 8 day cruise)

7) Sunshine - 8 day from Port Canaveral to Aruba (1-10) Curacao (8-4) Grand Turk (8-4) (Love GT and have never been to Aruba or Curacao and from the comments on the last time I ask for help, it seemed as the ABC islands are THE thing to do...it's just missing Bonnaire. It's also 8 days. However, this is the most expensive ship but does have all the bells and whistles)

So there you have it. My breakdown with my thoughts. Now tell me yours and why you would pick it.

The OTHER problem I'm having is after looking up air flight, since this is obviously spring break, a lot of the flights are already sold out and I might have to get creative.

We normally fly using Southwest. It has ALWAYS been the cheapest for us when checking rates. We also have a cc with them and have over 60,000 points to spend on free flights...IF we can find a flight. :cool:

Texas-probably isn't going to be an issue since you don't fly straight into Galveston. Where do you fly to anyhow? Houston?

Ft Lauderdale-Flights sold out both going there and back on the days we need, so would have to get creative as to when we come and go (as in another day earlier or later).

Miami-as above to FLL bc SW flies to FLL and we have to transport to Miami.

Port Canv- Flights in available, coming home sold out.

So take this all into consideration too and let me know of any thoughts you can come up with on this.

You would love the Conquest. You like the smaller ships and I think would really appreciate the Conquest and it's beach heavy itinerary!

Also, if you get a cruise with San Juan, definitely hit Toro Verde if you can. They have an awesome zip line course through the rainforest including the final one called the Beast, where you hang on your belly like superman and zip for 1000 ft.

Which brings me to add, have you checked out the southern Caribbean itinerary out of San Juan?? I think the ship is the Liberty, has 2.0 upgrades(I went on Valor) and airfare to SJU isn't that bad, can be similar to Florida. It's a port intensive itinerary but it hits Barbados(lots of sea turtles and great beach) and St Lucia, which is beautiful, plus at Maarten, Thomas and Kitts. If you haven't checked it out, do- it's a great cruise, and San Juan is great for a pre/post cruise day or two.

Stacey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't checked Jet Blue yet, but will. $1550 for 3 to fly 1 way? :eek: To me, that's expensive. That's normally what we pay for there and back. That's over $500 pp and not at all what I would pay. :(

So I take it you have been on the Sunshine before then? Did you find it was overly crowded? I know since they redid this ship, there were a lot of complaints about the size of the ship compared to the amount of people on the ship now. Then factor in Spring Break...yikes. That's the only thing holding me back from this. Did you go on Spring Break before?

We were on the Sunshine in the Med (2013). I did not find it overly-crowded, and I loved the public spaces (especially the Havana Bar area and the Serenity). Spring break will certainly bring more families with children, but that shouldn't affect how crowded the ship will be. I pretty sure it was almost at capacity when we were in the Med.

Hello and hello to family, #7 is our vote for sure ... lol :) as you can see we already booked that one ... Check out the sunshine , activities and the water park for sure for Sakari ...

We are looking for beach excursions for all 3 places , There is alot of choices for Curacao and Aruba, (isn't funny how Curacao is pronounced ) ??

If you take number 7, we will see you guys on board , Jeff and Cyndee

Edit -- missed the date ....

Edited by griz400

I voted Breeze since it has all the extras you like plus lots of entertainment on ship for daughter. Plus it's out of Texas so easier for you and has a couple of new ports for you.

Magic is due to get Guys and Cantina and Alchemy etc during drydock. Would your dates be before or after drydock?

I just want to say I love your reviews and you are always so helpful. They have helped us many times decide what to do. Thank you!!!!

I'm sure you will be happy with whatever you decide. Just please do a review afterward.😀

Edited by wantocruisemore

I voted for the Sunshine - 8 days and 3 amazing ports.

Orlando (MCO) is probably your best bet for flights opening up or a sale for the way home.

Have you thought about doing a 1 way rental car home? It would be a long drive but could be a cheaper option (The Mousesavers website has a great Hertz rate and works very well for one way rentals).

I was wondering why cruising from San Juan didn't come up in my search (and I didn't put any parameters in for "cruising from", I just put Caribbean). I was told tonight that it was maybe the Liberty that goes out of San Juan. I'll have to check.

It is Liberty that cruises currently out of San Juan on that itinerary but in mid March it will be relocating from San Juan. I had originally booked that trip and it was to leave on March 13 out of San Juan but there currently isn't a replacement cruise in that time frame as the ship is mid relocation.

Southern Caribbean 12nts

Cruise Line: Carnival Cruise Lines

Ship: Carnival Liberty

Date: 06 March 2016

Duration: 12 nights

Ports of call: San Juan | St Thomas, US Virgin Isles | Bridgetown | Scarborough | Grenada, Windward Islands,Grenadines | Oranjestad, Aruba | Grand Cayman | Galveston