Back to Burma: a SE Asian sojourn

Flamin_June

What it says is, that nothing has changed in the last 4 years.

Not true. Our first cruise was on the Spirit in 2012, and we have been fortunate enough to enjoy another three cruises since. Whilst not claiming all crew knew our names (nor expecting them to), those who attended to us used our names, as we did theirs (??grammar).

Quite frankly, I am always a little miffed that the crew do recognize me from my security photo - I would like to think I didn't look anything like it!!

But a couple of posts here say they haven't as well. Always been good still are.

Shouldn't matter from guest to guest, crew to crew, cruise to cruise. It should be the standard, and not left to chance.

Otherwise, it isn't a standard.

Not true. Our first cruise was on the Spirit in 2012, and we have been fortunate enough to enjoy another three cruises since. Whilst not claiming all crew knew our names (nor expecting them to), those who attended to us used our names, as we did theirs (??grammar)

!

Just our experience on a recent Odyssey cruise.

It is nice when when crew do remember your name but rather unrealistic to expect every crew mamber to do so.

After all whats in a name? I sometimes forget my own!

Sorry to hear people are disappointed about not being recognised - we by now know at least a few staff on each cruise (we have done over 200 days), who do remember us. I do not expect staff you only encounter now and again to know my name, but if we are served by the same wait group at dinner for a few nights they do learn our name, and use it. I would expect the stewardess, for example, to use our name straightaway, and they always do. By the way, it is nice to reciprocate by learning and using staff names when you can. I have problems reading them without specs! but do my best.

Saigon......shoot, I'm still in Saigon. .....Everytime I wake up I think I'm back on the Sojourn.

Xmas eve tomorrow, I hope to have some time to sit and respond to some of the interesting posts and discussion here - and to pen a a few further reflections on our recent voyage. Although I have some sympathy for some of the negative views expressed above, it was not all so bad.

One good thing that made leaving the ship less arduous was the new (to me at any rate) practice of issuing passports for disembarkation a day before the final port, within a leisurely two hour window.

We liked Adam too - and were often addressed by our names by one or two staff.

Far more impressive is the way we are addressed by our name by EVERYONE at the PH in Saigon, even the lobby staff who just open the doors as you enter and leave.

We have had two cruises on Legend where Michael and David E and Tian (sp) made our travels memorable, and remembered us on our second cruise. :)

In September we will be on Sojourn in the Med. We have tried Regent and Oceania, both of which we were more than happy with, specially the food on Oceania but Seabourn was always "the best". I have read, with increasing alarm, that not only are the big sisters not as friendly as the little sisters, but the whole atmosphere, service and specialness is somewhat disappointing. :(

I will be keeping an open mind, of course and will keep reading this forum for reassurance! ;)

The customer facing crew are given the photos/names after embarkation and are tested 24 hours later - they have to be able to recall names for a certain number of guests (I think it's 100) to pass.

They can be any 100 guests though and more than one staffer has confided in me that they learn the "easy to remember" ones first. I'm sure that's a combination of either having a distinctive appearance or a distinctive name.

Whatever it is, I always seem to have staff on the big girls know me by name and it seems like an exception when they don't.

The customer facing crew are given the photos/names after embarkation and are tested 24 hours later - they have to be able to recall names for a certain number of guests (I think it's 100) to pass.

They can be any 100 guests though and more than one staffer has confided in me that they learn the "easy to remember" ones first. I'm sure that's a combination of either having a distinctive appearance or a distinctive name.

Whatever it is, I always seem to have staff on the big girls know me by name and it seems like an exception when they don't.

Apparently people with the same name score one point (married couples) but my husband and I are worth two as I am a ms. So on a big sister there are usually around 220 points up for grabs

How has internet service been on Sojourn. Total disaster since we got on the Odyssey last week. We were told they were switching over to the same system that Sojourn was converted to with wonderful results. Over a week and they still can not get papers downloaded to the Press Reader I pads. Saying service is spotty here is an overstatement. Works for about 5 minutes, then nothing for an hour or so.

How has internet service been on Sojourn. Total disaster since we got on the Odyssey last week. We were told they were switching over to the same system that Sojourn was converted to with wonderful results. Over a week and they still can not get papers downloaded to the Press Reader I pads. Saying service is spotty here is an overstatement. Works for about 5 minutes, then nothing for an hour or so.

Was great on sojourn in November.

immigration clearance in the late afternoon in Thilawa was a much smoother experience than on the Odyssey, last year. unfortunately Sojourn was berthed right up behind the Amoy Star, out of Shanghai, a modern cargo vessel for the four day stop. Colonnade and aft decks were treated to an interesting although hardly aesthetically pleasing view of her busy stern and smoking funnels.

We disembarked the next morning to be picked up by our driver from the Governor's Residence. The road from the port offers immediate contrasts and contradictions: on the west side modern docks and industrial depots sit side by side with smart apartment blocks, built for the cronies, which no one can afford to live in. On the east side sparse scatters of flimsy shacks and stalls occupy a backdrop of green rice paddies, shrubs, home made shrines and golden pagodas. Here and there pairs of white egrets lazily circle and land.

The rural landscape soon gives way to the bustle of Thanylin. Motorbikes, mopeds, motor scooters and bicycles clog the main road, laden with families, mother, father, child and infant perch, cling on to one another, and are held in arms, while other motorbikes are laden with sacks of fruit or vegetables, nets of live chickens, or piled high with mysterious packages. Women in colourful sarees and longhis weave their way past the stalls and shophouses, while men squat at the side of the road smoking or drink tea in the shade. Shopkeepers gaze impassively at the pandemonium from beneath the awnings of their stalls, while trucks from a bygone age vie with busses belching diesel fumes and cars, all demanding right of way in a cacophony of klaxons and revving engines. Now and then a glimpse of a shaven headed child monk with alms bowl or an ancient toothless beggar. It is chaotic and intoxicating.

Now that we are back (post cruise trip to HK), uploaded the first batch of pictures from the 6-20th cruise. Will add a few more this week.

https://atthedrop.smugmug.com

Thank you for taking the time and effort to post pictures from your trip. On the Sea Days set with the picture of the motorboat is that your tri pod? If so how'd it work out for you on/off the ship?

Thank you for taking the time and effort to post pictures from your trip. On the Sea Days set with the picture of the motorboat is that your tri pod? If so how'd it work out for you on/off the ship?

I realized this weekend I needed to crop that out!

Tripod worked great. Got some early AM shots of the Marina Bay Sands complex that couldn't have been gotten otherwise. Also some nice sunrise shots on board.

It is a Vanguard Veo 235AB. Folds down to about 15", and goes nicely on the side of my camera bag. It isn't carbon fiber, but still pretty lightweight. Just a great travel tripod at a reasonable price.