Temporary License w/Photo

The whole temporary paper license dance is not about the DMV being backed up or trying to get you out quick -- it is actually a security measure intended to verify that the address given is a valid address. They give you a temp and mail the regular license so that if you cannot receive mail at the address given your temp will expire and you will never receive the permanent license. When this process first started, shortly after 9-11 for us, my state was issuing temps on the equivalent of retail store receipts. They were flimsy and had little detail. We were specifically told they were not valid for travel, but that has been close to 15 years ago. With improved quality ,I can see them being more willing to accept the temps. Still, I would think having the expired license with you would be a good idea if you have it.

Please leet us know if it works.

Yep, mine is a technically a Permit to Carry. It's issued by the Sheriff's office, so it's a government issued photo ID. I've never tried to use it as an ID though.

Georgia just went to a plastic card with a digital photo that looks like a DL. These are considered govt issued ID's for sure. Its called a Weapons Carry License here. Before that it was just a piece of paper with your thumbprint on it that they laminated. Our Probate Judges issue them here.

A license for carrying a concealed weapon (known around these parts as a CPL or CCW -- Concealed Pistol License or Carry Concealed Weapon) is the same in Michigan as others have stated in Texas and Illinois.

It's a government-issued photo ID, and it includes a background check and fingerprints on file -- it's actually MORE of an ID than just a driver license, which doesn't include any kind of background check or fingerprints.

January 1, 2016, it will be Open carry gun law, no more Concealed weapon if you choose in Texas

January 1, 2016, it will be Open carry gun law, no more Concealed weapon if you choose in Texas

Terms must be different in Texas than in Michigan.

Here, Open Carry means that you can carry a legally-possessed gun "in the open" (meaning not concealed on your person or in your vehicle). Anyone who legally can be in possession of a gun can walk down the street with it VISIBLY holstered on their hip or slung over their shoulder, etc.

Concealed Carry means that you can carry a legally-possessed gun concealed on your person or in your vehicle.

Some states don't allow Open Carry without a special license, others (like Michigan) allow anyone to Open Carry.

Some states (like Michigan) only allow Concealed Carry with a special license that includes special training, background checks, and fingerprints. A very few others allow anyone to Concealed Carry without any special license needed.

In Michigan, the terms Open and Concealed pertain to whether or not the gun is visible to the general public, no whether or not it's allowable to carry the gun in either fashion.

WE MADE IT....they did ask if we had any other ID's and we had an old expired one so glad that's behind us

Thanks for reporting back, interesting that they needed the old ID.

Hope you have a great cruise.:)

Not surprised you got on the plane or on the ship. Have fun.

I'd also be concerned if your partner will be able to board the airplane.

OH gosh that's not a problem.

My dad is in the middle of some Hatfield/McCoy thing with the CA DMV (in his mind) and won't get a DL. Nor does he have a passport. I doubt he even has a library card. (one wonders how he gets into appointments, since doctors offices so often check ID now) He travels domestically at least once a year. He goes a bit early, he's willing to chat. He has always gotten on the plane.