No Parties whatsoever!

ghjohnson

I just got back from a 5 day Coastal on the Sapphire Princess - and was I surprised - there was No Captians Cocktail Party, No Repeater Party, No Good Bye Party!

I was really wanting my roommate - this being her first cruise to enjoy some of the hooplah I had enjoyed in the past on Princess - But this did not happen - I talked to several people on the ship and they said they don't do any parties on a 5 day cruise!

They do weddings however - At least 3 of them while we were on board!

Well I say, Humbug! -

I think they should give every one a complimentary drink, if the passenger wants one at dinnertime the evening they called the "Formal night"!

What do you all think of this?

What have you experienced?

Princess doesn't do anything special on their coastal repositioning cruises unless they're at least 7 days. We've always been disappointed by that. We haven't done the repo cruises on any other line, but Royal Caribbean always has a Captain's Gala and a Platinum/Diamond reception, even on its 3-day cruises. They have a general C&A party on cruises of 7 days or longer.

What do I say .... if a 'party' is what makes your cruise, then we certainly cruise for the wrong reasons.

I too was on the sailing and had a delightful time, so what that no party was given, I already knew that would be the case and it was not an issue.

One of the greatest Champagne Waterfall parties I attended was on Star Princess on a three day reposition from Los Angeles to Vancouver. Dan Gibbons – pre-Cruise Director – threw it and it was really good – and no Macarena or YMCA!

That being said, I have heard they no longer hold these parties on the short cruises. On that Star Princess cruise, there also was no Captain’s Circle party.

What do I say .... if a 'party' is what makes your cruise, then we certainly cruise for the wrong reasons.

We are have our reasons for cruising ... and one person's reason is no less valid than another's.

Blue skies ...

--rita

We are have our reasons for cruising ... and one person's reason is no less valid than another's.

Blue skies ...

--rita

If parties are important - one should do research. I have never been on a coastal but I know from many posts here that they do not do the parties on the shorter (less than 7 days) coastal cruises.

Well, I didn't know they didn't do parties on shorter repo cruises -- and I would have been just like Grace and been disappointed, especially since she wanted her friend to experience all the glory that Princess has on the 7 day and longer cruises. Thanks for the heads up -

Now that I know, if I book a repo coastal cruise (which is doubtful since there aren't as many out of FL) I will know what to expect.

Thank you Gloria F for understanding!

CruiseAholic:

You do not deserve an answer, however!

I do not do cruises for parties -

I have been on 27 cruises - and I have loved them all!

My first cruise in 1987 had all I expected and more!

I felt bad for my friend who had never been on Princess before!

And yes, it was an absolutely great cruise!

Why am I so angry???

I overheard a passenger on the Sapphire Princess last week who was so rude to the staff in the Internet Cafe that I had to get up and leave.

This person, who's computer locked up, yelled at the staff person to come over to their computer, from across the room. Other passengers looked around trying to figure out what was so wrong.

It infuriates me when passengers treat staff, for no reason, like that.

I don't think the captain's circle party is as fun as it used to be...it used to be much longer and more fun...more opportunity for dancing. now it seems it's been a free drink and a long sales pitch. I would be very disappointed if they stopped doing the champagne waterfall party, that is usually one of the best nights of the cruise and a princess signature...i'm glad to hear they at least had that!

I don't think the captain's circle party is as fun as it used to be...it used to be much longer and more fun...more opportunity for dancing. now it seems it's been a free drink and a long sales pitch. I would be very disappointed if they stopped doing the champagne waterfall party, that is usually one of the best nights of the cruise and a princess signature...i'm glad to hear they at least had that!

Why am I so angry???

I overheard a passenger on the Sapphire Princess last week who was so rude to the staff in the Internet Cafe that I had to get up and leave.

This person, who's computer locked up, yelled at the staff person to come over to their computer, from across the room. Other passengers looked around trying to figure out what was so wrong.

It infuriates me when passengers treat staff, for no reason, like that.

It infuriates me, too, but what does that have to do with no party?:confused:

I am a fairly faithful reader of this board and I don't recall seeing references to the fact that Princess doesn't do parties on shorter cruises, then again I have a tendency read the threads that have the name of the ships that I have either sailed on, already booked on, or considering for a cruise in their subject line. I also will read if the subject heading catches my eye like this one did.

Although these parties don't particulary interest me nowadays, I can see why one would be disappointed to discover that they are not offered on a cruise. Different strokes for different folks.

I also was on the "repo" sailing of the Sapphire Princess last week. As I recall there was something published very early in the week, possibly in the Princess Patter, that Captain's Circle members would be contacted about a members event. This never happened. On disembarkation day I ran into the on board Captain's Circle Hostess and asked her why the party didn't occur. She had received an email message from corporate early in the week telling her there would not be an on board party because there's a new Princess policy dictating there will be no members party for any cruise under 5 days in length. I sent an email to captainscircle@princesscruises.com requesting confirmation of this policy and have not yet heard back from them.

Personally, I can take it or leave it, and the lack of the party didn't ruin my cruise experience. The issue is that the party has always been a tradition, and on board member events are advertised by Princess as one of the benefits of being a Captains Circle member. If there's a policy change, I would expect Princess to advise it's members before implementing it. No surprises would help.

I just got back from a 5 day Coastal on the Sapphire Princess - and was I surprised - there was No Captians Cocktail Party, No Repeater Party, No Good Bye Party!

I was really wanting my roommate - this being her first cruise to enjoy some of the hooplah I had enjoyed in the past on Princess - But this did not happen - I talked to several people on the ship and they said they don't do any parties on a 5 day cruise!

They do weddings however - At least 3 of them while we were on board!

Well I say, Humbug! -

I think they should give every one a complimentary drink, if the passenger wants one at dinnertime the evening they called the "Formal night"!

What do you all think of this?

What have you experienced?

Grace...I was a bit disappointed too, because, as you know, this was my first Princess cruise. (which by the way, sorry we never met....I tried a couple times but I guess I just kept missing you guys.)

Anyway....Normally, we are rushing to get dressed to go to the captain's party before dinner on formal night. Now it makes sense why we had so much time that night. No captain's cocktail party to attend.

I also was on the "repo" sailing of the Sapphire Princess last week. As I recall there was something published very early in the week, possibly in the Princess Patter, that Captain's Circle members would be contacted about a members event. This never happened. On disembarkation day I ran into the on board Captain's Circle Hostess and asked her why the party didn't occur. She had received an email message from corporate early in the week telling her there would not be an on board party because there's a new Princess policy dictating there will be no members party for any cruise under 5 days in length. I sent an email to captainscircle@princesscruises.com requesting confirmation of this policy and have not yet heard back from them.

Well...thats just not right. Technically, that cruise wasn't under 5 days. It was 5 night cruise, which would make it a 6 day cruise.

Please do enlighten me as to what the "right" reasons are? I wouldn't sleep for weeks if I thought we were cruising for the wrong reasons!

And, btw, is it ONLY staff who deserves to be treated with respect? It would certainly appear CC posters aren't on your list for that...

Sheesh.

TidePrideGA - what are the 'right' reasons? Well, after 66 cruises, a party onboard a ship isn't why I go on a cruise. Been to them, gotten one of the most travelled awards, been invited to the private parties, to the bridge, etc and none of them are reasons that I cruise.

As for my statements about the treatment of the staff, the person I met in the Internet cafe was complaining about the party, in a very loud and boisterous manner, was rude to the staff in there.

Archived