Queen Mary

JohnHall1965

Can someone tell me how far Long Beach is from San Pedro where the Ruby Princess docks. And next if anyone has stayed on the QM what is it like ? Clean modern ........

I am not a big fan of the Queen Mary as a hotel...

I stayed there ONCE...37 years ago...but it is not getting any newer or more modern...They are limited by what it is...a VERY old transatlantic carrier ship...

The rooms are old ship cabins...and are small and without much natural light...and I think the whole thing felt like it was on a slant...

There are many more modern and far more ample hotels in the area...You can stay in one of those and go tour the Queen Mary...

OTOH, if you really just want the historical experience of staying on a circa 1936 ocean lines, then, sure...go ahead...

It's about 6-8 miles from San Pedro--on the Eastern side of the rather large harbor (The San Pedro World Cruise Center is on the Western edge of the harbor)...To get from the QM to Pedro, one crosses over the industrial "Terminal Island" that fronts LA Harbor and then over the Vincent Thomas Bridge--LA's only suspension bridge...

Most of Long Beach's restaurants, shopping and other attractions are across the channel from the QM...but there is a free "Passport" shuttle that will take you there from the QM--with stops near the Aquarium, Shoreline Village and Pine Avenue...

Have fun...

Yes, if you want something modern it is not the hotel to stay at.

And the rooms are old rooms so even more choppy than today's cabins.

But if you want something unique and historic and to just have that experience just do it.

There is history to this.

Keith

The Madonna Inn is very 'interesting', especially the public men's room. Drove past it in October and the parking lot was crowded. Last stayed there 27 years ago so my review would be a bit out of date.

Margie's Diner in SLO is good. Huge portions

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g33026-d445499-Reviews-Margie_s_Diner_San_Luis_Obispo-San_Luis_Obispo_San_Luis_Obispo_County_California.html.

We stayed at the Madonna Inn in 1988. Back then they didn't take a credit card and only a check. We didn't have a check with us. They let us stay there and then when we got home we mailed them the check. This was back when they were owned by a family. Don't think that would happen today.

Very unique place.

Loved it.

Keith

Yeah...I remember once actually using that First Floor Men's Room...when two women walk in and start snapping photos!!!

This, BTW, is NOT an unusual occurrence...and those who have been there will know what I mean...

Edited by Bruin Steve

The Madonna Inn is still family owned. Alex Madonna unfortunately passed away in 2004, but his wife Phyllis and his family are still running the operations.

I highly recommend spending at least a night there. Go to their website and choose from a variety of themed rooms. You will probably need to book some of the more unique rooms well in advance.

The steak house, cafe and bakery are all excellent. This is one of the gems of the Central Coast!

PS My wife and I honeymooned there back in '83. (Have been there recently as well)

Edited by YesIAmAPyr8

The Madonna Inn is still family owned. Alex Madonna unfortunately passed away in 2004, but his wife Phyllis and his family are still running the operations.

I highly recommend spending at least a night there. Go to their website and choose from a variety of themed rooms. You will probably need to book some of the more unique rooms well in advance.

The steak house, cafe and bakery are all excellent. This is one of the gems of the Central Coast!

PS My wife and I honeymooned there back in '83. (Have been there recently as well)

Glad to know it is still family owned.

They were very charming hosts and were kind enough to let us stay there and then to trust that we would send them a check when we returned home since back then they didn't take credit cards.

Keith

If you're interested in seeing the Queen Mary, they may still have tours. The one time I was there for an event my PR firm was putting on for a client some years ago.

If you do stay there or at another hotel in Long Beach, make sure to tell your driver (unless you have your own car or rental) that you want to go to the Port of Los Angeles in San Pedro and not to the Port of Long Beach.