Tipping - the age old question - Sorry

fitoldguyinspeedo

Sounds like a comment made by someone looking for a way to cheat others out of what they deserve and have earned in good faith.

Are you accusing me of "looking for a way to cheat others out of what they deserve and have earned in good faith" ?

I never get 'board" in reading tipping threads, as I find them informative, thought provoking and some times amusing. An added value is the unsolicited wisdom proffered by posters free of charge BTW..

Is not most of what is written here unsolicited? It is what makes CC such a good site. I agree on all counts of your post, btw.

Not at all, I said that comment sounds like.... I trust you would never do anything like that, I am correct, right? I was more worried of it enticing others to do so.

I always tip and sometimes more than the suggested guidelines, especially the cabin steward, pizza, omelet and deli servers, etc.. Some may say that this is self serving and a bribe but these people always give me and others very good service...

Same here, in all of our cruises, we have had only one instance (read that as one person) of just ok service. A significant part of what makes Carnival the outstanding product it is, is its people. Always a smile and being acknowledged by name and a good morning or good evening. To us, more important than an amusement part at sea that you have to totally plan out months and years ahead.

Same here, in all of our cruises, we have had only one instance (read that as one person) of just ok service. A significant part of what makes Carnival the outstanding product it is, is its people. Always a smile and being acknowledged by name and a good morning or good evening. To us, more important than an amusement part at sea that you have to totally plan out months and years ahead.

How the heck do they ALL learn our names so quickly? I'm always in awe!

How the heck do they ALL learn our names so quickly? I'm always in awe!

They receive a list. We sailed on the Pride I had a wonderful room steward whose name was Booty (not one you forget quickly). Our next cruise was Med cruise on the Liberty. As we birds the ship outside of Rome we were walking down the hall to our room (balcony room on Lido) when we hear: Mr Jim, Ms Mary, it's me Booty (six months later this was). He knew all our wants and likes. Pretty impressive.

They receive a list. We sailed on the Pride I had a wonderful room steward whose name was Booty (not one you forget quickly). Our next cruise was Med cruise on the Liberty. As we birds the ship outside of Rome we were walking down the hall to our room (balcony room on Lido) when we hear: Mr Jim, Ms Mary, it's me Booty (six months later this was). He knew all our wants and likes. Pretty impressive.

With that kind of memory maybe he should look for a better paying job that would utilize his memory talents, if he so desired...Or it could have been that Mr Jim & Ms Mary were unforgettable, I mean that in a nice way...

With that kind of memory maybe he should look for a better paying job that would utilize his memory talents, if he so desired...Or it could have been that Mr Jim & Ms Mary were unforgettable, I mean that in a nice way...

Lol, prob a bit of both. I do think they get an informations sheet of their clients, including how many cruises etc. As we recalled it later, on the first cruise we left him two bottles of champagne we had received, half a bottle of vodka and a bottle of wine to "dispose of" for us. That might have had a flavor as well.

Edited by jimbo5544

Listen, are there legitimate reasons, sure. Is the time to raise those, the last night, def not.

How do you know that the last night is the 1st time people have been to guest services? They may have raised the issue 5 previous times during the cruise and are now on the last night still waiting for a resolution.

How do you know that the last night is the 1st time people have been to guest services? They may have raised the issue 5 previous times during the cruise and are now on the last night still waiting for a resolution.

That's the truth. Some people pay for FTTF knowing they will be standing on line at guest services numerous times trying to straighten out things that Carnival fouls up. At times like these FTTF stands for Faster to the Fair...and middling.

"play by the rules" ?? There are no rules for tipping, only guidelines and suggestions. No charge for correcting you again BTW...

:rolleyes:

Sounds like a comment made by someone looking for a way to cheat others out of what they deserve and have earned in good faith.

Exactly. Very few people in life worse than a cheapskate screwing someone out of their hard earned wages.

Are there any statistics as to how many cancel their tips? I went to get small bills for tips on the last night of my cruise on Liberty and the line of people waiting was enormous. I thought maybe they were just querying their accounts etc.:confused:

All I know is that last cruise I went to Guest Services to ask that my friend’s tips be moved to my S&S account. The guy seemed really annoyed. As I stepped away, I looked at my receipt and realized that he actually just removed them from my friend’s account . . . period. :confused:

I stepped back & said “hey, that’s not what I said.” I then asked him to add them to my account, and then he was really annoyed again. The only thing I can figure is that he must have been on auto pilot, removing tips b/c I don’t think he was even listening to me at all.

I'm sorry but it really annoys me that people remove their auto tips. That's just plain rude! You should be ashamed of yourself!

These people work extremely hard! I get it, if you don't pay extra but removing totally is absurd.

We have always had an enjoyable MDR staff. Our room steward/assistant has also been very attentive. At the end of sailing we tip extra to the following: MDR staff, cabin steward/assistant, and favorite bartender. Plus tipping along the way of stray wait staff/bartenders.

Flame away! But it's my experience and opinion!

OK, so I'm the OP that started this and I do appreciate everyone's responses.

But let me ask..... What are "auto tips"? I've seen them referred to several times here.

It's my understand that you basically have two ways to tip. 1.) To have Carnival take ALL tips out of your Sign and Sail card. or 2.) to tip for each service rendered either by cash or adding a tip onto the tab (bar tab, dinner tab) ???

I've just not read anything on the Carnival site that mentions "auto tip".