Tipping - the age old question - Sorry

fitoldguyinspeedo

OK, so I'm the OP that started this and I do appreciate everyone's responses.

But let me ask..... What are "auto tips"? I've seen them referred to several times here.

It's my understand that you basically have two ways to tip. 1.) To have Carnival take ALL tips out of your Sign and Sail card. or 2.) to tip for each service rendered either by cash or adding a tip onto the tab (bar tab, dinner tab) ???

I've just not read anything on the Carnival site that mentions "auto tip".

Auto Tips is the nickname for when Carnival automatically charges your sign and sign account. You can also "prepay" your gratuities when you are paying for your cruise so they are paid in full well before your cruise. Either way the crew does not actually receive the money until the end of the cruise.

I don't think I was ever quoted five times in one post before. I am happy to continue discussing here just thought it had run its course. The other threads do get ugly which is why they'd get closed, which is to bad in any circumstance, although I understand why.

It makes it easier to read and address specific points. You said Carnival pushes back and I was asking you to explain what that meant. You've been on far more cruises than me and have more knowledge.

COPIED AND PASTED FROM CCL SITE:

SERVICE GRATUITIES (TIPS)It is customary to extend gratuities/tips to the shipboard staff for their services. How much to tip is a personal matter and completely up to the guest. Our recommended guidelines in regards to what is appropriate are as follows:

Service Per Guest, Per Day

Dining Room Services $6.10

Stateroom Services $3.90

Alternative Services:

distributed to kitchen, entertainment, guest services

and other hotel staff members. $2.00

Total Gratuities $12.00

• For beverage purchases, 15% of the bill is automatically added to the Sail & Sign charge.

• Room Service staff may be tipped as service is rendered.

• Tipping applies regardless of the dining options selected, such as eating at the casual dining restaurant or Open Seating Dining.

There are two ways of extending gratuities to the shipboard staff as follows:

Gratuity Program

• For the guest's convenience, we automatically add the recommended gratuities to the guest's on board Sail & Sign Account on embarkation day.

• Should a guest not be satisfied with the service they receive, they can contact the Guest Services desk while onboard. This will allow us to address their concerns in a timely and appropriate fashion. At the discretion of the guest, they may adjust the gratuities at any time while onboard. Gratuities will be deemed undisputed unless a request to modify is received prior to disembarking the ship.

• Guests less than two years of age are not required to extend gratuities.

• For Cruises-to-Nowhere, all gratuities must be pre-paid and automatically added during the booking process.

• For cruises that begin in Barbados, all gratuities are pre-paid and automatically added during the booking process.

Prepaid Gratuity Program

• Gratuities are pre-arranged and can be added at the time of booking or anytime up to the sail date. If already booked, guests can contact their Travel Professional to add prepaid gratuities; if booked directly with Carnival, contact us at 800 764-7419.

• All guests on each booking must prepay the gratuities with the exception of children less than two years of age.

• Should a guest not be satisfied with the service they receive, they can contact the Guest Services desk while onboard. This will allow us to address their concerns in a timely and appropriate fashion. At the discretion of the guest, they may adjust the gratuities at any time while onboard. Gratuities will be deemed undisputed unless a request to modify is received prior to disembarking the ship.

• The dollar amount for gratuities will appear in the Miscellaneous Charge field on the booking. The guest’s E-Document will indicate if gratuities have been prepaid.

It makes it easier to read and address specific points. You said Carnival pushes back and I was asking you to explain what that meant. You've been on far more cruises than me and have more knowledge.

I was not complaining about getting quoted 5 times, just stating it had not happened before. I am not sure about the knowledge part..... but what I meant was, that I have seen where people tried to remove tips on the last evening at guest services and were challenged by GS for doing it on the last night. Not sure pushing back was the right phrase to use, but let's say qualifying the issue. Examples would be: why? how often did it occur, did you raise it as an issue when it did occur, did they have an opportunity to address it, had it been brought forward to GS before the last evening, etc etc etc.

The point of that particular discussion was that the last evening is not the time for Carnival to hear about service related issues. Also that removing of tips is a significant event ad not based upon trivial one off events (or perceived events).

At the end of the day, those workers work long hard hours in anticipation (in part) of being recognized with what Carnival suggests is "appropriate and customary". Waiting until the last evening (and that fact has been jaunted around by the people that do pull tips) is at the very least dis-ingenuous.

OK, so I'm the OP that started this and I do appreciate everyone's responses.

But let me ask..... What are "auto tips"? I've seen them referred to several times here.

It's my understand that you basically have two ways to tip. 1.) To have Carnival take ALL tips out of your Sign and Sail card. or 2.) to tip for each service rendered either by cash or adding a tip onto the tab (bar tab, dinner tab) ???

I've just not read anything on the Carnival site that mentions "auto tip".

You first statement is what "auto-tips are. Carnival automatically charges your tips on your S&S card. Also, drink purchases already have an auto-tip on them as well (15%). The problem with cash only is that it is almost impossible to individually tip everyone who provides a service for you....such as the omelet maker at breakfast or the guys who cleans your table in the buffet after you finish eating. That's why auto-tips are so great. You've done what is expected of you for everyone who does something for you.