Just back from Star Breeze

Strenz

Just back from the repositioning from St. Martin to Colon Panama, it was great. I felt like a traitor with 18 Windstar Cruises sailing ship experiences and being a great fan. We decided to try the motor yacht Star Breeze. Will write a review this week. We learned two great things. You can not compare apples and oranges/ sailing vs motor both are extraordinary experiences. The motor yachts have the mark of all things wonderful with Windstar. Great time so glad we risked being traitors! Happy Sailing/Motoring.

My husband and I are on the reverse itinerary in April. I would love to hear what excursions or other activities you did. I am pleased that your experience on the Star Breeze was favorable. We were on the Legend in August and had a fantastic time despite the obvious growing pains. We are looking forward to the Breeze.

I just finished my review for the Star Breeze it should be published in a few days under reviews. I hope people will find it helpful. We are very positive people and grateful so I do not nitpick.

We did not do excursions because we are more independent travelers. We loved Cartagena but it was so hot ( 100 and humid and this is from someone who is chronically cold ) it took away from the time we would have liked to explore more. For the sea days I joined a trivia team it was fun and met some really lovely and interesting people. We are shy people and tend not to meet many but my" team" was great. We simply loved it. I hope you will too. Happy Sailing Susanne

I appreciate the helpful review, Strenz. We are going on our first Windstar cruise this year in the Mediterranean. I'd always assumed we would like the Wind Surf the best (Venice-Rome or Rome-Venice), all other things being equal. But I've read almost unanimous glowing reviews about the Star Breeze, so we're keeping that option open as well.

Thank you for your nice compliment. My dream, bucket list, top priority is the Venice Rome, I adore Venice and going out with sails makes me happy crazy. So 2017 May we are going on the Surf. Unfortunately, we can't go this year with 3 Windstar Cruises under out belt this year we have other obligations. If I didn't love sail boats so much I would do the motor yachts in a minute for that cruise. I do not know if you have been to Venice but I think one of the most magical places on earth. Oh, the art it is on every corner. Have a great time. Oh, I think one of the reasons that Star Breeze gets such good reviews is because the Captain adores this ship and I think for good reason. I have never seen such an enthuastic Captain. Happy Sailing. Susanne

I am one of the minority who considers Venice to have become too Disney-esque these days to be worth visiting. So many of what used to be Italian owned business have been taken over by foreign interests and I was dismayed when we last visited (2012) at the God awful people mover that was built to move the masses dumped by the large cruise ships into the city center.

This has caused an uprising amongst the true Venetians and finally some movements are in place to stem the larger ships from destroying the lagoon.

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/venice-no-big-ships-protest

http://www.newsweek.com/merchants-are-killing-venice-324987

Venice has never been magical for me but it was far more appealing 30 years ago and even 10 then what is has become, a theme park overrun with overpriced restaurants and tacky souvenier shops hawking cheap made in china products. JMO.

To enjoy Venice you have to get into the neighborhoods and stay away from the tourist sites. Every time we go we stay in a different neighborhood. Early morning with the light and the silence , 7 am at the latest visit the Rialto Market. Venice in the fog is incredible. I love the darkness and walking down tiny alley ways. I see a Sargent painting every where I look especially with the schimmering sun bouncing off the water, or the shadows from the bridges. His painting The Onion Seller with the corner of the Venice water takes my heart away. When I am looking out over the grand canal I just imagine the Canaletto times. I never miss a church to go in and see the art. Even in the most remote neighborhood the art is astonishing. I have not given up on her yet, yes the huge ships are more than trouble some and the crowds being there just to be there. Venice away from everything gratefully is still magical for me. Happy Sailing Susanne

I get why you are dismayed with Venice and its "Disney-ification", carviargal. Fortunately, I have fond memories of my two times there as a grad student studying architecture, and a third trip with the woman I eventually married, so I tend to be more romantic in my outlook, such as diane.in.ny and strenz.

Both times I visited in my college years I went during off-season, and it was rather drab, wet, and cold. My first trip was with a half dozen fellow classmates, and we were adventurous enough to split apart and explore the back alleys for hours. Yes, the gangway planks were out so we could stay semi-dry footed after the heavy October and early November rains, but who cared? It was fabulous, mystical, and very evocative of days gone by. I loved the shops and the restaurants and the coffee. Couldn't afford much, but seeing and photographing everything was way cool.

My second trip was as a loner at the end of the semester just before flying home. I had met a couple young girls from Mestre on a train in September, and despite the fact they couldn't speak English and I hardly knew any Italian, we had fun. I got the address of one of the girls, and we met in Venice at the train station. So my second trip to Venice was a flirtatious fling with a girl I hardly knew. That was 34 years ago.

I went back to Venice a third time with my DW (fiance at the time, I think), and we saw the regular sites and bought the baubles.

Now I'm going back again with the wife, and we'll make sure to have an extra day in Venice apart from the cruise itinerary. We don't need to see the tourist traps, so we can focus on off-the beaten-path discoveries. I collect artistic masks, and want something much more awesomely unique than the typical Venician tourist style stuff.

Bottom line, folks, I think that even a tourist Mecca like Venice is a wonderful gem if you can discover stuff apart from the norm.

...Bottom line, folks, I think that even a tourist Mecca like Venice is a wonderful gem if you can discover stuff apart from the norm.

We agree. Well, almost. An extra day isn't really enough.

For example we set aside a full day for what we called our "Vap Cruise" (Vaparetti and lots of them). First we "Vapped" to Murano (the glass island) and strolled around checking out the various shops and visiting the production room in one glass factory. (Fortunately we have developed a very high degree of sales resistance so it wasn't expensive.) We also found a little pizzaria near the Vap dock and had a pizza lunch that was fantastic. Then we went onto Burano, the lace island and took a guided tour.

We then went to Torcello (the original "big city" in Venice, strolled around a bit and visited the venerable cathedral. We boarded the Vap to go back as the sun was setting, totally mind blowing gorgeous.

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Diane in NY, a jacket is not needed, just a nice polo shirt, or a shirt no tie. Nicely informal. Save on space in your luggage. You want to travel as light as possible in Venice. In Venice unless you are going to a Michelin starred restaurant no tie is necessary either. Michelin, France, helpful in Italy absolutely not, look for a restaurant with lots of natives you will be more than fine. I never use a guide book in Italy I use my senses and get far away from anything touristic. Venice is magical and Windstar in Venice, for me would mean life is perfect. Have a great cruise.