Cruising with a selfie stick

Revdoll

Dictating that someone shouldn't stand on the pier and take a pic with their family with the ship in the background or get in the pool on Lido and take a pic with the screen in the background, etc because you once saw a pic of some teen in a nightclub poking someone else with a stick is annoying and mannerless IMO.

Got off the Dream Sunday. Saw several selfie sticks. Didn't see a single person doing any of the outrageous behavior that people here are talking about. No one was running laps around lido with a 4 foot stick sticking out of their chest, no one was holding up any lines. No one (with a ss anyway) was oblivious to the people around them.

So yes, if me saying to not let the haters stifle you is being an annoyance with a lack of manners than so be it. The person writing in this forum to ASK about it is OBVIOUSLY not the type of person that you are having nightmares about ruining your vacation because you saw a meme once about selfie sticks.

We live in a litigious society where any little thing can bring out the "I'm going to sue" in many. Personally I fully understand where amusement parks and other areas crowded with humanity have out-lawed something that can be a dangerous accessory and could easily do harm to some unsuspecting passer-by. I wouldn't put myself "out there" with a long stick swinging in the breeze just to capture a silly picture. Too many peeps, over crowded areas, people not paying attention, many others to self-absorbed to notice what is going on around them. I think I'd rather just ask some nice passer by to take our group pictures...much safer and not so full of risk.

While I'm not a "selfie" person when hubby and I take our son on this next cruise I want to take photos of the 3 of us without bugging folks..hence my 3.99 black Friday office depot selfie stick. I probably won't use it unless we are on vacation. I certainly won't be posting 9 million photos to Facebook rofl..I'm not 16 anymore;) But as far as it being annoying I think that depends on if the photographer is aware of their surroundings.. I heard Disney and other amusement parks banned them because people were using them on rides.. :rolleyes: not smart...

I am leaving on a Disney cruise soon with my 2 daughters and 2 grandkids, and I just got a selfie stick. I am very aware of the things I do, and how it might affect others. I will not be using it in crowded public places, and I will be selective where I do use it. Most of my pictures are with a regular camera anyway.

As others have said, if you respect other peoples personal space, I don't think they are a problem.

Bull. You cannot be aware of your surroundings while you are focused on the camera at eggs end of the stick.

I know you think you can be, but you can't.

For those that are saying, I have never seen any obnoxious behavior, I don't mind them, will soon change their tunes when they do start setting it. Luckily, they are probably going to be banned most places before long, and we can put an end to it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

So, someone with a selfie stick is automatically an annoyance and has no manners? It's only an annoyance because you allow it be and yep, having a selfie stick automatically puts them in the "no manners" category too. :rolleyes:

Go back and read what was quoted, it had nothing to do with selfie sticks. First rule of message boards: Read before typing.

Bull. You cannot be aware of your surroundings while you are focused on the camera at eggs end of the stick.

For those that are saying, I have never seen any obnoxious behavior, I don't mind them, will soon change their tunes when they do start setting it. Luckily, they are probably going to be banned most places before long, and we can put an end to it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

If they aren't walking around while filming than yes they absolutely can be aware of their surroundings. No different than someone stopping to take a picture with their camera.

Go back and read what was quoted, it had nothing to do with selfie sticks. First rule of message boards: Read before typing.

Go back and reread what you wrote. Obviously it could have been taken more than one way.

Speaking of reading before typing, another first rule of message boards: stay on topic (Cruising with a selfie stick). :rolleyes:

It is very much possible. We do not use it while in motion. We stop and look at our surroundings to make sure no one is around us before even extending it. If it's safe, we use it. If not, we don't use it.

Just thought I would mention that I saw Carnivals photo shop was selling selfie sticks on our last cruise in August. Thought about getting one but still haven't done it yet.

Well, guess that answers the question if they are banned or not.

Edited by Revdoll

Selfie sticks are banned at Disney World and will be confiscated at the bag check before entering the park or you can go back to your car or hotel room. You can pick them up on your way out of the park. Think they are a hazard..