Odyssey Dec.3rd: Regression Analysis

writer100

Well, yeah, this would probably be more appropriate for the Crystal posting. But get ready, any slightly negative comments on the Crystal boards will attract and immediate detailed response.

Hence why I asked my question re: Anytime dining here;)

If I wanted responses about rainbows, puppies, kittens and unicorns that evacuated gold krugerands I'd have posted it over there.

I'd like to know what you thought of Prego, but I think the natives are restless:eek:

Hence why I asked my question re: Anytime dining here;)

If I wanted responses about rainbows, puppies, kittens and unicorns that evacuated gold krugerands I'd have posted it over there.

I'd like to know what you thought of Prego, but I think the natives are restless:eek:

Emperor: I think I know exactly what you are hinting at. As to Prego, when I wrote my review of my spring Crystal cruise, I provided some snarky comments on Prego and got some negative blowback. But here it is again: We giggled out way through a clunky dinner that seemed straight out of a New Jersey strip mall restaurant, interior design included. The place looked as though Tony Soprano had recently dined there, and the food to his taste. We really couldn't stop laughing about it all. And when we told the Maitre'd that we were less than wowed, he was incredulous. I guess we are just odd, not your typical Crystal passengers.

Emperor: I think I know exactly what you are hinting at. As to Prego, when I wrote my review of my spring Crystal cruise, I provided some snarky comments on Prego and got some negative blowback. But here it is again: We giggled out way through a clunky dinner that seemed straight out of a New Jersey strip mall restaurant, interior design included. The place looked as though Tony Soprano had recently dined there, and the food to his taste. We really couldn't stop laughing about it all. And when we told the Maitre'd that we were less than wowed, he was incredulous. I guess we are just odd, not your typical Crystal passengers.

Isn't this "off topic" again?

Not clear?

Edited by MARIANH

Not clear?

Presumably because they want to air the topic,but don't want to be 'flamed' by the Crystal cheerleaders? Perhaps we should have a 'watercooler' forum, like Silversea, where anything and everything can be discussed - but then again, maybe the Silversea one is sufficient.

Maybe I am biased (biassed?) but my impression is that most the SB 'cheerleaders' are not as vehement, and a bit more objective, than some of the others, notably Crystal, Silversea and Regent.;)

I hope - and think - that Nigella is planning to report on her cruise in general, on a new thread. I would love to hear what Christmas and New Year's are like, and also whether the team for the Pacific crossing is on board already - Handre, Sophie and Annabel. They will certainly make trivia enjoyable, for those who enjoy it. And obviously how the food and service situation is going.

Good Morning from very hot and steamy Fuerte Amador.

I will start my own thread, but after he read this one my husband pointed out that I forgot to mention a couple of things pertinent to the OP.

Our table for 4 requested beef cooked from rare to medium. All four plates came out with the meat well done. This has happened a couple of times.

Also, especially in the MDR, every so often, food that should be hot is coming to the table lukewarm at best, served on cold plates.

As discussed by other posters, these two issues are the responsibility of the chef.

Internet is spotty currently, and I'm using an ipad therefore struggling to type properly. As soon as I have time to get on my laptop, I'll start a new thread.

Lincslady, Handre joins Odyssey in L.A. Sophie is doing a wonderful job so far.

tv24: Thank you.

Not clear?

See lincsladys response.

Good Morning from very hot and steamy Fuerte Amador.

I will start my own thread, but after he read this one my husband pointed out that I forgot to mention a couple of things pertinent to the OP.

Our table for 4 requested beef cooked from rare to medium. All four plates came out with the meat well done. This has happened a couple of times.

Also, especially in the MDR, every so often, food that should be hot is coming to the table lukewarm at best, served on cold plates.

As discussed by other posters, these two issues are the responsibility of the chef.

Internet is spotty currently, and I'm using an ipad therefore struggling to type properly. As soon as I have time to get on my laptop, I'll start a new thread.

Lincslady, Handre joins Odyssey in L.A. Sophie is doing a wonderful job so far.

Do you know who the chef and bar manager (or would that be FBR manager on the Odyssey class?) will be from LA onwards?

I m kind of bored with all the complaints about the food temp. etc but was excited to see that Sophie is aboard. It will be great to see her in Auckland She was great as a #2 and has been great as a #1 . Enjoy the Christmas and New years holidays . There are worse things than a delayed meal on a luxury ship .

We thought that Sophie was dynamite as a #2 and are delighted--but not surprised-- to learn that she is a successful #1.

As to your boredom, well you will have to manage that. We, who have an Odyssey cruise booked in the near future, are quite interested in what have been repeated & ongoing reports of MDR/kitchen issues on this ship. Nigella is a respected poster and I believe her comments. We love leisurely dinners but having staff return after 30-45 minutes of an order to say that the item is no longer available does not fall into my love or leisure columns.....nor does repeated off-temperature items.

I m kind of bored with all the complaints about the food temp. etc but was excited to see that Sophie is aboard. It will be great to see her in Auckland She was great as a #2 and has been great as a #1 . Enjoy the Christmas and New years holidays . There are worse things than a delayed meal on a luxury ship .

If having a reasonable meal service time is wasted on you and having food cooked and served at proper/safe temperature is wasted on you, I'm sure there are more botulism and trichinosis friendly lines that cost far less.

You may wish to re-read what's been posted. If Handre is is getting on in LA chances are Sophie will not be on come Auckland.

As mentioned by Emperor Norton, Sophie will be getting off in LA and Handre will be our CD from LA. I am not sure if you have sailed with him before but he is lovely and I am hoping to get to experience an evening again when he entertains us with his piano playing. He also composes some of his own music.

If having a reasonable meal service time is wasted on you and having food cooked and served at proper/safe temperature is wasted on you, I'm sure there are more botulism and trichinosis friendly lines that cost far less.

You may wish to re-read what's been posted. If Handre is is getting on in LA chances are Sophie will not be on come Auckland.

This seems a bit harsh. No one on any current threads on Seabourn have mentioned any gastro related illnesses. So this statement is a big leap to me.

I am looking forward to my upcoming cruise on Odyssey and I will make up my own mind when I get on board. But one thing I have learnt over the years on Cruise Critic is try to avoid letting others put negative thoughts in my head prior to a cruise. These thoughts almost spoilt one cruise, but luckily my husband is a sensible man and helped me get things back in perspective.

I am aware that you can have slow service at meals and these are tiring when it happens but Nigella hasn't reported it as every night only on some nights. I wonder if there is a common theme?

Julie

Hi Julie - Sophie is staying on board until April. In addition to Handre, Annabelle will also be joining us, so one CD and two assistant CDs! Only major problem is the internet. They "upgraded" it in Fort Lauderdale on the 15th. Press Readers still not working and almost impossible to get logged on most of the time.

Cliff

Hi Julie - Sophie is staying on board until April. In addition to Handre, Annabelle will also be joining us, so one CD and two assistant CDs! Only major problem is the internet. They "upgraded" it in Fort Lauderdale on the 15th. Press Readers still not working and almost impossible to get logged on most of the time.

Cliff

Now that is good news. Handre, Sophie and Annabelle are all wonderful. Annabelle has such a lovely, wicked sense of humour.

That isn't such good news about the internet. I will warn Keith as he needs to check on things for business occasionally.

Julie

I am aware that you can have slow service at meals and these are tiring when it happens but Nigella hasn't reported it as every night only on some nights. I wonder if there is a common theme?

Julie

Hi Julie, the problem is in a specific section. We've been avoiding that area since, but i'm a bit miffed that it doesn't appear to have improved despite a member of our party pointing it out to the "powers that be".

Rest assured, many of the crew are providing outstanding, attenitve and friendly typical SB service, although some are letting the side down. Hence my comments about finding the service inconsistent.

Sorry about the typos and grammar, I'm using the ipad still as unable to connect to the internet at all with my laptop. Cwisleman is right about the internet,it's currently a bit of a nightmare to use. I need to use it for business every couple of days so I've been a little grumpy about it, but thankfully my small team back home started Christmas break today so I'll be able to have a few days iff now!

Hi Julie, the problem is in a specific section. We've been avoiding that area since, but i'm a bit miffed that it doesn't appear to have improved despite a member of our party pointing it out to the "powers that be".

Rest assured, many of the crew are providing outstanding, attenitve and friendly typical SB service, although some are letting the side down. Hence my comments about finding the service inconsistent.

Sorry about the typos and grammar, I'm using the ipad still as unable to connect to the internet at all with my laptop. Cwisleman is right about the internet,it's currently a bit of a nightmare to use. I need to use it for business every couple of days so I've been a little grumpy about it, but thankfully my small team back home started Christmas break today so I'll be able to have a few days iff now!

Hi Nigella,

I wondered if it was a particular section as we have experienced this before with that reason. Hopefully this will get rectified as the rest of the crew work so hard.

Have a wonderful Christmas and New Year. Please leave us more of the good champagne for our cruise following yours. When we got on in Cape Town after the holiday cruise there was reduced supply due to the Holiday cruise people buying up a lot.:D

Julie

Hi Nigella,

I wondered if it was a particular section as we have experienced this before with that reason. Hopefully this will get rectified as the rest of the crew work so hard.

Have a wonderful Christmas and New Year. Please leave us more of the good champagne for our cruise following yours. When we got on in Cape Town after the holiday cruise there was reduced supply due to the Holiday cruise people buying up a lot.:D

Julie

I don't wish to worry you, but 3 of our current Odyssey party of 4 were on that Holiday cruise last year, and absolutely guilty of (too much) consumption of the good champagne ! :D

As mentioned by Emperor Norton, Sophie will be getting off in LA and Handre will be our CD from LA. I am not sure if you have sailed with him before but he is lovely and I am hoping to get to experience an evening again when he entertains us with his piano playing. He also composes some of his own music.

This seems a bit harsh. No one on any current threads on Seabourn have mentioned any gastro related illnesses. So this statement is a big leap to me.

I am looking forward to my upcoming cruise on Odyssey and I will make up my own mind when I get on board. But one thing I have learnt over the years on Cruise Critic is try to avoid letting others put negative thoughts in my head prior to a cruise. These thoughts almost spoilt one cruise, but luckily my husband is a sensible man and helped me get things back in perspective.

Julie

It may have been a wee bit harsh, but a suggestion that perhaps one should be very interested in proper serving temperatures, especially when most of the land based protein had to be flown to the loading port from the US (this is somewhat less relevant if the cruise is only loading at mainland US ports).