Drink Prices on the Constellation

wesport

I normally sail HAL and sometimes Princess. Last November I booked a five day cruise on the Constellation for December 12. Just got back and had a wonderful time. Ship was beautiful. Officers and staff were great. I did get the go big promo with the classic beverage package and the OBC. Overall, was happy with the 5 day getaway. I was somewhat shocked at the prices of the beverages on board. If you have the package, you don't have a care. I just thought $6.49 for cappuccino was a bit steep. Martinis at the martini bar were $15.34. Tea at Il Bacio was $5.90. A can of Coke from the MINI bar $4.13. Is their motivation to have everyone buy the package?? Just curious. Knowing what I know now, I probably wouldn't sail a Celebrity cruise unless a package was available.

You said that you got the Classic package as a perk. Just take the price of ONE Martini per day ($13) and upgrade to Premium. It is well worth it. You would enjoy those premium coffee drinks, jumbo Martinis, decent wine, and unlimited premium bottled waters.

If a passenger did not have a drink package and only drank the soft drinks they brought on board, did not gamble at all, did not use ship excursions, and did not buy anything from the shops, they still could have a good time. The ship, however, would not be making ANY profit on those guests.

As a stock holder in Royal Caribbean, please drink!!

Edited by Sandtrap328

You said that you got the Classic package as a perk. Just take the price of ONE Martini per day ($13) and upgrade to Premium. It is well worth it. You would enjoy those premium coffee drinks, jumbo Martinis, decent wine, and unlimited premium bottled waters.

If a passenger did not have a drink package and only drank the soft drinks they brought on board, did not gamble at all, did not use ship excursions, and did not buy anything from the shops, they still could have a good time. The ship, however, would not be making ANY profit on those guests.

As a stock holder in Royal Caribbean, please drink!!

Totally untrue statement. The cruiseline made an immediate profit from the cruise fare at booking.

OP:

I agree with your assessment. The drink prices on Celebrity are ridiculous (especially in comparison with other lines). Drink packages are not "free" either... you are definitely paying for it upfront in the increased fares.

Starbucks is over $5 where we live for most everything. A coke in a bar is $3-5. Drinks are $7 and then add sales tax and a tip. Are X drink prices steep? Yes, but not outlandish. Also consider you are allowed to bring 2 bottles of wine on board and all the sodas and water you desire.

Looking a drink prices in isolation is not helpful as it is simply part of the package. X has a great buffet while Princess and RC d=in my opinion do not. X offers free sushi while the others charge $10 or more. It all depends on what you want and/or drink. I am happy with my 2 hours happy hour and drink tea or water the rest of the time. My cost is zero. And Celebrity does make very little from my passage as they sell the lower classes of cabin at near their cost to operate the ship. How much is all the food worth?

Trust me, I thoroughly enjoyed the Classic Package. I drink scotch, and Chivas was included, so no complaints. It just seems to me X is pricing the drinks on the high end so that you will upgrade to a beverage package up front with the original booking. It seems a lot of their cruises have the go big better best promo.

It seems like the bev package promotions are used off and on as a means of filling ships, as needed, depending on demand. They have been doing it for quite a while now so I guess it works real well for them or they would have stopped using it for promo's a long time ago. I know the promotions work well for me, when I look at the final bill before leaving the ship, LOL!