SURPRISE! Fees for some Rm Service Items

silvercrikhix

We were disappointed in the banana split on the new room service menu. It's exactly the same small one that is served off of the kids menu in the main dining room. It's by NO WAY worth $4.

I have only seen one (in the MDR) I am curious as to how big your expectation was? I would be afraid it would be melted when it arrived.

For all those worried about extra room service charges: no need to worry! On my last cruise that I returned from last Saturday I ordered room service three times and it only arrived to the room once (45 minutes later!) so if you never receive the food you don't have to worry about paying for it! :confused:

Service has really deteriorated! Not because the staff are not trying but because there just aren't enough of them!

Just to let people know our experience, we had great service with room service on our Conquest cruise on Feb. 20th. We ordered about three times, around 11-12 midnight and it came in about 20 minutes. We didn't get pay items items, though. Just free ones.

How customizable is this? Like, if I asked them to add bacon and tomato to my grilled cheese, would they do it?

I don't know about that kind of customization, but I know DH ordered a BLT with extra bacon on Conquest recently, and he received it. He had ordered one the night before, and he said it was lacking in bacon, so he just asked for double the bacon the next time. :)

I have only seen one (in the MDR) I am curious as to how big your expectation was? I would be afraid it would be melted when it arrived.

I expected it to be it to be at least the length of an average banana, large scoops of the 3 napoleon flavors, the 3 standard syrups, whipped cream...etc since they were charging a fee for it. If I had known it was exactly the same little kids one they serve in the dining room w/o all the fixins' , I would have just ordered it there. We intentionally waited for dessert to order the banana split from the room service menu and it was a disappointment. I just wanted to put it out there for those banana split lovers who also might have the same expectations as we did. We ordered 4 of them. With the tip included we spent $25 on something we could have gotten free in the dining room. Oh well, live and learn.

Knowledge is power. Your expectations were way too high

Knowledge is power but it's a matter of the opinion as to whether his expectations were too high. Another might say your expectations are too low!:rolleyes:

With food all over the ship available most of the day, is it really a big deal for room service. I have ordered it on occasion and was sadly disappointed each time. very little effort goes into the food on room service.

Cheers

I expected it to be it to be at least the length of an average banana, large scoops of the 3 napoleon flavors, the 3 standard syrups, whipped cream...etc since they were charging a fee for it. If I had known it was exactly the same little kids one they serve in the dining room w/o all the fixins' , I would have just ordered it there. We intentionally waited for dessert to order the banana split from the room service menu and it was a disappointment. I just wanted to put it out there for those banana split lovers who also might have the same expectations as we did. We ordered 4 of them. With the tip included we spent $25 on something we could have gotten free in the dining room. Oh well, live and learn.

Ok thanks for the reply.

I am one of those people who really don't like change, but of course, I have learned that it is part of life. Learned that long time ago, but only now, beginning to find it difficult as I push into my senior years, yet I persevere:)

In the case of this room service menu, I am actually ok with it. A couple of my favorite sandwiches (fajita, and shrimp salad) are gone. However there is enough on the free items to satisfy me on the rare occasion that I use room service, which is about once or twice a cruise. I actually like the option to order fries for 1.50, to go with my sandwich instead of chips. I may even order the cheese and cracker plate some day. Always wanted to bring one back from the mdr, but I would be just as happy to order it later from RS, and pay the nominal fee.

For the one or two times I used room service per cruise, I am ok with it, and just see it as options for those who want just a small bite without extra charge, and those who will pay for something else that they are hankering for.

We ordered the wings three different times our last cruise on the Paradise and found them to be an excellent 5$ late night snack! They beat the hell out of the wings we paid 20 bucks for at Hooters in the Tampa Port Channelside. We've not tried anything else as wings were the only thing that appealed to us!

Love room service. Coffee and pastries each morning on the balcony--one of my favorite things!!! Also like it sometimes when we come back from a day of tours, tired and simply want the convenience of room service.

If they start with a few items, it might expand to charge for all room service.

I'm spoiled. If a cruise line charges for all room service, I wont sail on them.

There are too many choices of cruise lines out there.

I believe NCL announced this a couple of years ago. The negative reaction was so great, it was retracked in days. Cruise lines listen....

In July we will be taking our grandson on his first cruise, and he and DH love a late night sweet. They will likely hit the ice cream machine, but I just recently heard that I can get cookies from room service. Does anyone know if they will be nice and warm, or just ho-hum? I love a nice warm cookie, lol.

In July we will be taking our grandson on his first cruise, and he and DH love a late night sweet. They will likely hit the ice cream machine, but I just recently heard that I can get cookies from room service. Does anyone know if they will be nice and warm, or just ho-hum? I love a nice warm cookie, lol.

I asked for cookies on my recent Conquest cruise. They gave me TWO bags of cookies. Each bag had 4 or 5 cookies. They were not warm, but they were good.

I understand what they are doing and where its heading. Just wish they would keep it as a one price all inclusive resort ( a few up charges are cool) rather than pack the ship with people that will be unhappy everytime there is a charge. If the price of cruising must go up, so be it! Thats how things work. I enjoy taking my whole family, and not having to feel the punch to my wallet 15 times a day like most vacations. Thats why we were attracted to cruising.

Cheers!

Love room service. Coffee and pastries each morning on the balcony--one of my favorite things!!! Also like it sometimes when we come back from a day of tours, tired and simply want the convenience of room service.

If they start with a few items, it might expand to charge for all room service.

I'm spoiled. If a cruise line charges for all room service, I wont sail on them.

There are too many choices of cruise lines out there.

I believe NCL announced this a couple of years ago. The negative reaction was so great, it was retracked in days. Cruise lines listen....

Actually it was less than a year ago and they still charge for room service except for some continnental breakfast items for a limited time in the morning. I suppose you could say that by adding the complimentary items in for a short window they listened but they really didn't- still $7.95 per order the rest of the time. (One thing they did listen about was the prohibition from taking food away from the buffet. That was reversed fairly quickly.)

Definition of nickle and dime.

I wouldn't consider those things to be nickel and diming even in the "drain and destroy" sense. Tasteless pillow chocolates that mostly got thrown away, sheer curtains?, water is still free on board and perfectly safe. The price of liquor, maybe, but I don't know how it compares to booze on other lines.

With food all over the ship available most of the day, is it really a big deal for room service. I have ordered it on occasion and was sadly disappointed each time. very little effort goes into the food on room service.

It didn't used to be so disappointing.

NY Strip loin with brie on a baguette

Chicken fajitas

Smoked salmon

It's dropped big time

Everybody is different, my wife and I only use room service as our wake up call. And get COFFEE, to get up and going for the day. Honestly they could have T-Bone and we'd pass, cause we will go down to dinner for that. But there just looking for and other way to make a buck. Which should not be a dirty word! However they have also raised there price, on there filtered water. It was $2.99 + TIP for 12 bottles. That's double the price anywhere around are home. Yet that wasn't enough! It's $3.99 + TIP now:eek:

Everybody is different, my wife and I only use room service as our wake up call. And get COFFEE, to get up and going for the day. Honestly they could have T-Bone and we'd pass, cause we will go down to dinner for that. But there just looking for and other way to make a buck. Which should not be a dirty word! However they have also raised there price, on there filtered water. It was $2.99 + TIP for 12 bottles. That's double the price anywhere around are home. Yet that wasn't enough! It's $3.99 + TIP now:eek:

I hear you on that one. Around here it is $2.99 for 24 bottles in the store, but for the convenience I guess it is worth it in the long run. It also is cheaper in the long run if you don't want to pay for an individual bottle of water when leaving the ship when in port. The thing that really bugs me is the requirement that every adult person in the cabin is forced to purchase the "Cheers" drink package. Not everyone drinks and for them to expect every adult in the cabin to purchase the package because of one is really not right in my opinion.