Staggered Check-In Breeze Galveston June 2016

Badfinger

Maybe its time to find a more accommodating hotel. Why should Carnival have to absorb a cost because a hotel can't get their act together. A GOOD hotel knows that Cruise lines fills their rooms not the other way round.

I seriously doubt that any Hotel will let you stay in a room until 2:30 without charging you another day.

I seriously doubt that any Hotel will let you stay in a room until 2:30 without charging you another day.

I think that you can pay for late check out. Considering that check out is usually 11 or 12 at most hotels, I'm assuming that with late check out, you can stay for at least a couple extra hours. I've never done late check out, though, so I'm not sure how it works.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not a fan of the staggered check-in, either. The only time we ever had an issue with long lines at check-in was during our first cruise--we actually arrived at the Miami port during the check-in period between 1-3 (I'm thinking it was about 1:15-1:45 when we arrived), and the lines to check-in were out the door of the terminal. At the time, we were confused how people could already be on their balconies watching the line if boarding didn't start until 1...it wasn't until our second cruise that we started going to check-in around 10-10:30. Every other time, it was quick, easy, and painless to check in (the waiting after checking in can be boring, though, just like waiting at airports but without stores to browse in).

They don't kick you off property the minute you check out. You can hang around the hotel until boarding time. We did it on our last cruise. No big deal.

I've done it before. Besides you don't have to sit in a hotel waiting for check-in at the cruise line. I have actually bit the bullet and gone walking (every hotel I have EVER stayed out has a secure location for held luggage) or found a great restaurant for brunch. But then I'm not into the idea that I paid for lunch on the ship and am being short changed if I miss it.

Hello,

I am still new to cruising. We will be cruising on Carnival Breeze from Miami in January. They will email us prior to let us pick an available time for embarkation? If so, how long before we cruise should I expect to get the email? Thank you.

The staggered check in does not apply for Miami cruises.

I've paid for late check out at hotels a few time. Price will vary depending on the hotel. Only done it in Galveston once, at Moody Gardens. Price was $50 to keep the room until 3:00 pm. Well worth it as it was the last day of a three day comic con and I knew I'd want somewhere to relax during the day as the con ended at 5:00.

Worst case scenario the hotel will usually have a room where you can keep your bags and just hang out in the lobby, bar, etc. I've done that a few times when I've traveled for work and have been booked on a late flight back.

Chulaa23 ~ okay, brand new here too, so bear with me if this doesn't work out the same for you! You do not have to wait for an email. Just go in to your booking under My Cruise Manager on the Carnival website. Then look to the far right of your booking info and click the blue highlighted Cruise Details. Once there, you will see On-line Check in. Click that and follow the instructions to choose your boarding time. Hope that helps!

• 3 weeks later...
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but our Breeze cruise out of Miami in April 2016 just this week asked me to select a check in time. Everyone I know from my roll call has also gotten the email. I was able to select my time.

Just curious why you think this is bad news? Especially if you were able to get the time slot you wanted..shouldn't this make it less crowded for you?

I am not really sure why people have such an issue with the staggered check in. Yes it's a change and I know people tend not to do well with change but just go online, select a time and enjoy your cruise. Disney cruise ship has been doing this for quite some time now and worked great when we cruised that line. I forsee many other cruise lines doing this in the near future to keep from having such a crazy mess when check in begins on embarkation day. I must say that at least give the staggered check in a chance and if you don't like it when you return, then complain about it....don't complain until you try it. :-)

• 1 month later...

If you choose a time before noon, yes, you can check in but not board until they are ready for you usually about 11:30am or so. I have chosen a 10:30 for both of my next cruises since we drive about 3 hours to the port and park then shuttle back for check-in.

If you choose a time before noon, yes, you can check in but not board until they are ready for you usually about 11:30am or so. I have chosen a 10:30 for both of my next cruises since we drive about 3 hours to the port and park then shuttle back for check-in.

Thx for the info :)

I still have not seen a clear answer of what happens if your arrive later then your check-in window. The FAQ just say you will be accommodated. What does that mean? I opened a question with Carnival. There response was a link to the FAQ. And in my question I specifically asked what accommodated means. Very poor response. It could mean they let you on or it could mean they make you wait until the end of the day.

I still have not seen a clear answer of what happens if your arrive later then your check-in window. The FAQ just say you will be accommodated. What does that mean? I opened a question with Carnival. There response was a link to the FAQ. And in my question I specifically asked what accommodated means. Very poor response. It could mean they let you on or it could mean they make you wait until the end of the day.

if you get there later, you get in just like if you got there on time.

• 1 month later...
They will make you wait until the time on your boarding pass no matter how early you arrive. You can go ahead and check in your luggage but you have to wait. We took our cousins in Nov out of Galveston when it first started and we had a 10:30 check in and they had a 12:00 check in, being their first cruise we waited outside with them and there were some upset people but once you got inside it was smooth sailing and we all walked right on.

Have never cruised before so I am a bit confused about the process. So, if we arrive early in Galveston, we can go ahead and drop off our checked bags at that time? If so, that would free us to go sight-seeing on the Strand or eat lunch on the wharf. Is this right?

• 4 weeks later...
Have never cruised before so I am a bit confused about the process. So, if we arrive early in Galveston, we can go ahead and drop off our checked bags at that time? If so, that would free us to go sight-seeing on the Strand or eat lunch on the wharf. Is this right?

Yes you can drop your bags off with a porter then leave on foot to surrounding restaurants to wait. The port is super crowded and busy in Galveston so I would not hang around the port area unnecessarily. I am happy that they gave us a choice of check in times and half of our party of 6 is also platinum. Hopefully we can be on the ship by noon like before.

Last year was a mess and we didn't get on until close to 3pm because they had delayed boarding. Good luck to you.

We were one of the first cruises out of Galveston after they implemented staggered times.

Personally, I think it worked great and now that it's been in process awhile it probably works even better.

Keep in mind this is staggered "check-in" not staggered boarding. We had 10:30 AM check-in, which probably took about 15 minutes with little line.

But, after check-in we went upstairs and still sat in the "holding area" until they cleared the ship for boarding. We were cleared after all the VIP's and FTTF. We were probably on board by 11:45 AM.

• 3 weeks later...

I know that having to chose a boarding time online is new but several of my past cruises, I received emails that said what time I should arrive for check-in. I like to get on the ship as early as possible so I always ignored the email and got to the cruise terminal around 10 - 10:30 and was allowed to check in. I guess too many of us ignored the staggered check-in requests.

I know that having to chose a boarding time online is new but several of my past cruises, I received emails that said what time I should arrive for check-in. I like to get on the ship as early as possible so I always ignored the email and got to the cruise terminal around 10 - 10:30 and was allowed to check in. I guess too many of us ignored the staggered check-in requests.

Exactly! And I have now done the staggered check in in Galveston and it was sooooo much better. I was able to choose 10-10:30 - that time was still available up to 2 weeks before cruising - that was the last time I looked at it. We never even had to pause to get checked in and on board by 11:15am - we just continually went to each desk with no one waiting in line - so much different than our past Galveston cruises where the lines were enormous.