Review of Zuiderdam on Partial Panama Canal Dec 11-Dec 21

vicd1969

Great review. Thanks!

- Could you tell me if the Zdam has the new 55 in interactive TVs in the cabin?

- is there a pizza restaurant in addition to the Dive In?

Despite the recent refurbishing, we didn't have any new large TV in our cabin. It may have been different in the suite rooms. Also, internet speed was still not fast enough for streaming, but general web browsing was fine.

No new dedicated pizza joint yet except for the station in the Lido. Pizza was pretty decent for those who like thin crusts, however.

I was on the ship this cruise, as well, and your review is excellent. I do agree that Rick Barnes was a most delightful CD. I saw more of Captain Chris Turner around the ship on this cruise than any Captain in a long time. His daily update at noon from the bridge was informative. He did a personal Q&A in the Crow's Nest that Rick emceed that was well attended. He was leaving on the 21st for his break and will be returning later this winter. The ship is in nice shape, HAL continues to have the friendliest staff, and the food in the MDR was above par. Lunch in the Pinnacle Grill is a tremendous deal. My indulgence is coffee from room service most days, and when I did order an omelet, it was hot when it arrived. It's worth a little something extra for the service to me, and the room service attendant offered to serve the coffee for me, which was sweet. While there were many guests on scooters, I didn't find them obtrusive on this ship. I did open seating and sat at large tables every night in the MDR, and met some lovely people from the US, Canada, England, and Portugal. Panama Canal off the bucket list!

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Some photos from Half Moon Cay

Beach chairs near water sports rental, free shade if you come early

P1000071.JPG

Pirate Ship bar

P1000179.JPG

Cabanas for rent

P1000180.JPG

Two HAL ships in the distance

P1000069.JPG

Closer view of Beautiful Ship #1 (aka Zuiderdam)

P1000066.JPG

View of equally good-looking Ship #2 (aka Nieuw Amsterdam)

P1000190.JPG

Photos from the Canal Zone

Sunrise over Panama, which the Pacific side saw first

P1000559.JPG

Entering the canal

P1000564.JPG

Welcome to Gatun, Panama

P1000641.JPG

2 Ships ahead of us

P1000589.JPG

Entering first lock at Gatun (note the HAL photographer)

P1000607.JPG

Train guiding us as the lock gate opens

P1000608B.JPG

Thanks for your two reviews. You have a very nice ease of writing, which is enjoyable to read.

I have done the 11 day Zuiderdam Panama cruise, and you brought me back a lot of fond memories

The captain on that cruise was M. Wilhelm which I got to talk to, and found so charming, informative, and engaging.

In fact, I enjoyed the Panama canal so much, I decided to do it again. This time it will be the whole deal, ending in San Diego.

There are so many great videos about the canal on youtube, describing its inception, strife, building, politics, future, etc.

Doing half of it was great, but now I must go back, and complete the whole thing :)

That is a bucket list big item!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping to bump this so I can get some advice from either the OP or the others who have taken this cruise. My mom and I are going in March on the 11 night trip. I am trying to plan excursions but none of the ship's own excursions get great reviews.

Can anyone recommend any of the ship's excursions or private excursion that would be good for 2 people? We obviously don't have a group. In Costa Rica, I would like to try ziplining but my mother can't due to heart condition. Similarly, she can't or won't do anything like kayaking or white water rafting. Is there an excursion where she has something to do while I do a couple of ziplines? I don't need anything dramatic.

Also, I understand that if you don't do a ship excursion in Gatun Lake, you don't see Panama at all?

They're also expensive so I'm trying to make sure I get my money's worth.

Thanks!

Jennifer

Thanks so much for the great reviews and pictures. I am going on the 10 day Panama cruise Feb. 26 so excited. You were so informative Thanks so much

We have a ocean view obstructed as well on the 4th floor midship.

Me and my DH are smokers Do you know where the smoking areas are on this ship? Is the ice-cream free? Also which dining room is the any time dining? I'd appreciate an answer from anyone who knows the answers. Thank you!!

Me and my DH are smokers Do you know where the smoking areas are on this ship? Is the ice-cream free? Also which dining room is the any time dining? I'd appreciate an answer from anyone who knows the answers. Thank you!!

There's a smoking area outside the Lido restaurant, aft. Probably the starboard side, but I'm not positive on that. There's also a smoking area on a forward deck, above the Crow's Nest (I believe).

There's an ice cream stand on each side of the Lido restaurant. It's open from the beginning of lunch to about 4:00 or 5:00. It may reopen for Lido supper, and late evening snack. No charge.

The open dining is on the lower level of the dining room. It's on Lower Promenade deck.