Elegant Night and Kids

Livesteamer

Traveling with our two grandkids on Freedom in May. Everyone in our group but me wants to do the "elegant" nights. What are the best suggestions for the 10 (boy) and 6 (girl) year old to wear? I know that jeans seem to be generally not the best idea on any elegant night.

My girls love to dress up for formal nights so we always bring fancy dresses. So the girl may enjoy that! I don't know much about 10 year old boys but I agree that in some khakis and a nice button down shirt he would look very nice for formal night!

Edited by LREcruise02

I'd say that the adults lead the way with however they decide to dress and the children follow in the same manner. IF the adults are wearing suits the children can wear a party dress for a girl and slacks with a shirt and perhaps a tie for the boy.

IF the adult men are just wearing khakis or slacks with a collared shirt then the boy child can follow the men and the women can decide how they want to dress. The family can decide how they'd like their children to look.

Just be respectful as I've seen folks in t shirts and shorts try to go into the dining room on that one special night and be turned away.

I'll assume you're Mom?

Many women wear black slacks and pretty tops. Many girls wear something pretty, some extravagant but others very simple.

Guys have it easier--khakis and a button down. No need for jacket or tie.

Don't worry about shoes.

Edited by SadieN

I'll assume you're Mom?

Many women wear black slacks and pretty tops. Many girls wear something pretty, some extravagant but others very simple.

Guys have it easier--khakis and a button down. No need for jacket or tie.

Don't worry about shoes.

You made me spit out my drink with the last sentence. LOL.

My boys (7&11) who normally refuse to wear pants that have a button or itchy shirts or shirts with a collar, seem to love wearing a shirt, tie, and dress pants for formal night and it is great picture taking for me :) They even comb their hair!! ;) I do typically let them wear their sneakers though. They still look great.

Traveling with our two grandkids on Freedom in May. Everyone in our group but me wants to do the "elegant" nights. What are the best suggestions for the 10 (boy) and 6 (girl) year old to wear? I know that jeans seem to be generally not the best idea on any elegant night.

I have an 11 yr old who's been sailing for nearly 3 years now. He typically wears a nice button down shirt or a polo with khakis (which he now refers to as Elegant Night Pants..and refuses to wear them EXCEPT on Elegant night which means we have to buy new ones pretty much every time we cruise. LOL).

If it were me, I would put the boy in a pair of khakis and a button up shirt.

I would put the girl in a sundress, or skirt and blouse.

Carnival is very lax in the dining room.

Completely agree. Dressy clothes can be expensive for kids kids, when you consider that they grow so quickly and may only wear them once. Except for really special occasions (weddings and bar mitzvahs) this has always been our go to semi-formal outfit for kids. Still true for my youngest, a now 17 year old who wears adult sizes. I certainly don't want to buy him a men's suit that he may only wear once.

My 10 yo DS loves any excuse to dress up (he has wanted to wear a tie for first day of school every year for the past 5 years), but my 12 yo DS is not much for the dressy stuff. However, on a cruise he is quite happy to do it. It's a special feeling, and he recognizes that, and we can manage to pry him out of his jeans and t-shirt for that one night. This year, it's dress pants, dress shirt, tie and vest. We bought the complete outfits at the second hand store, knowing they won't last long.

Completely agree. Dressy clothes can be expensive for kids kids, when you consider that they grow so quickly and may only wear them once.

I just get the shirt and tie set at Kohl's. Currently $18 with a 30% off coupon. It's not so bad. I will actually buy mine with the Kohl's cash I get for updating my own outfits :)

Do they want to do elegant nights??? My kids (similar ages) really prefer to be dropped off at camp carnival in the back area of the lido deck and eat with their friends. A 2 hour lobster or steak dinner doesn't appeal to them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On our last cruise our youngest were 8 (boy) and 7 (girl). Our son was in a suit because he wanted that and we bought a princess "Belle" Dress at Disney for our daughter and she loved it with a crown and all. After dinner they went to the Camp and seeing a princess pirate was cool. It was what they chose to wear and we didn't make them stay longer than for the food and after dropping them off I came back for dessert and tea. We are taking the grand kids this time (4,3 and 1) and they all have special outfits for the formal night. How long they last in them is unknown at this point lol.

Do they want to do elegant nights??? My kids (similar ages) really prefer to be dropped off at camp carnival in the back area of the lido deck and eat with their friends. A 2 hour lobster or steak dinner doesn't appeal to them

Dinner time is family time. They like to spend a lot of time at Camp during the day when we are at sea. They actually do enjoy the dinners. We have had excellent luck with our servers and they quickly find out what our kids love. They bring my youngest 2 servings of shrimp cocktail and shred him a plate of parm and he is in heaven. They also love the singing and dancing

23842609292_673275738f.jpg

My 10 yo DS loves any excuse to dress up (he has wanted to wear a tie for first day of school every year for the past 5 years), but my 12 yo DS is not much for the dressy stuff. However, on a cruise he is quite happy to do it. It's a special feeling, and he recognizes that, and we can manage to pry him out of his jeans and t-shirt for that one night. This year, it's dress pants, dress shirt, tie and vest. We bought the complete outfits at the second hand store, knowing they won't last long.

Good for you and the family. Kids need to learn there are times when it's appropriate to look nice.

Carnival ships are now anything goes so it does not matter. However my kids always were suits when Carnival was more classier