Help please

skincruisers

We've just bought my in-laws a short cruise on the Queen Victoria from Auckland to Sydney. They have never been on a cruise before. I've had trouble deciphering the Cunard web page regarding dining options.

I know their restaurant (Brittania) is the fall back position AND that there are various speciality options for which there is a charge.

My specific query relates to the informal dining options for which there is no additional charge. The website indicates that the Lido is an informal dining option and the evening buffet is complimentary; but then lists 3 dining options for which there is a charge. It says nothing about lunch.

What real options do they have?

Skincruiser

We have done a trans atlantic on Cunard - the main dining rom is very much NOT a fallback!

We ate in the MDR for most meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and two meals in a specialty restaurant in 8 days.

We do not like buffets but the buffet is available for all meals if that is what they prefer.

MDR and buffet are included in the fare and there is a modest supplement for the speciality resaurants.

We did not use the nightly speciality restaurants that are sectioned off from the main buffet area but someone will come along and explain them any minute now :-)

Do you mean their scheduled dining time isn't what they want and they are waitlisted for the other time? I'm not sure I understand why there would be a problem for them to eat in Britannia… ???

It really is nicest (I think) to eat in the dining room on a nightly basis. Your in-laws would be seated at the same table with the same people, which makes conversations grow comfortable.

In the buffet, there are issues of tray carrying and it just isn't as relaxing. The food isn't bad, but one of the luxuries of being on the ship is having dinner served.

It isn't at all necessary to eat in any of the extra cost venues.

What a nice gift for you to have given your in-laws! I am sure they will enjoy it.

We've just bought my in-laws a short cruise on the Queen Victoria from Auckland to Sydney. They have never been on a cruise before. I've had trouble deciphering the Cunard web page regarding dining options.

I know their restaurant (Brittania) is the fall back position AND that there are various speciality options for which there is a charge.

My specific query relates to the informal dining options for which there is no additional charge. The website indicates that the Lido is an informal dining option and the evening buffet is complimentary; but then lists 3 dining options for which there is a charge. It says nothing about lunch.

Skincruiser

What a wonderful gift that they will no doubt love - if they know what to expect. The Britannia Main Diningroom requires Formal or Informal (not 'Casual') attire according to the dress code printed in the daily programme (from memory). That dress code is required throughout the ship from 6.00 p.m. If they prefer to dress casually, they will HAVE to dine in the Lido Buffet or take Room Service and be restricted re use of most of the ship. So where they dine will have quite a lot to do with how they like to dress, as much as what choices of dining venues there are. It's all set out pretty clearly in Cunard brochures and online - http://www.ask.cunard.com is a great source of info for people new to the line. Their cruise is not far away, so they should be able to access information through their Cunard online Voyage Personaliser now re what the dress codes are for each evening to assist re packing and planning - then they'll have a great time. We've cruised Cunard before and will be on a later WC sector on QV, so have some idea of what you're researching. Again, lovely prezzie!

What a wonderful gift that they will no doubt love - if they know what to expect. The Britannia Main Diningroom requires Formal or Informal (not 'Casual') attire according to the dress code printed in the daily programme (from memory). That dress code is required throughout the ship from 6.00 p.m. If they prefer to dress casually, they will HAVE to dine in the Lido Buffet or take Room Service and be restricted re use of most of the ship. So where they dine will have quite a lot to do with how they like to dress, as much as what choices of dining venues there are. It's all set out pretty clearly in Cunard brochures and online - http://www.ask.cunard.com is a great source of info for people new to the line. Their cruise is not far away, so they should be able to access information through their Cunard online Voyage Personaliser now re what the dress codes are for each evening to assist re packing and planning - then they'll have a great time. We've cruised Cunard before and will be on a later WC sector on QV, so have some idea of what you're researching. Again, lovely prezzie!

Just to clarify, day time dress is Casual and acceptable in the Britannia Dining Room as well as other dining places throughout the ship. Formal and Informal dress codes that affect dining options only apply in the evening.

My strongest recommendation is to dine in Britannia. It's absolutely beautiful and the food is quite good with lots to choose from. As someone else has written, dress code at lunchtime is no problem. For dinner, if your guests do not want to pack formal clothes, tell them to pack something simple and elegant. I wear a black coat, black slacks, white shirt & tie and have no problems. A lady can get by with a nice pants or cocktail dress ensemble. The buffet is a casual option at lunch or dinnertime, but IMHO, the quality is lacking and the atmosphere is too much like a high school cafeteria. Go for Britannia. They will have a terrific time.

Gentlemen need a jacket to eat in the Britannia dining room all nights (no tie on informal).

Daytime wear is much the same as any cruise line.

I know some people who love the Britannia restaurant for breakfast and lunch. I enjoy the Lido because I can choose exactly what I want and how much.

I, too, think that the Britannia is the best place for dinner unless they want to splurge on eating in the Verandah or one of the specialty dinners in the Lido. There is no need however to pay extra for the meals. The Britannia has very good food with plenty of choices. The service is excellent and the room itself is beautiful.

Make sure they do take clothes to meet the evening dress code or they will not be able to go to the shows, most of the lounges on board, or the MDR. They don't need a gown and tux (unless they want to) but definitely a jacket and tie for FIL.

Skincruiser

I think what you were looking for was....

dining options for lunch include, the lido buffet, (free) the Golden Lion pub lunch (free) light snack options Cafe Carinthia (free) Room Service (free)Outdoor grill, lido pool (free) Britannia Restaurant (free) Vernandah Restaurant (charge) Grills, (if that is their level) Free....

Dining options for dinner are, the Lido Buffet, (free) Specialty restaurant Lido, (options include indian, italian etc nights) (charge) Brittannia Restaurant (free) Room Service (free) Outdoor grill Lido Pool (charge) Brittania restaurant (Free) Verandah Restaurant (charge) Grills (if that is their level) Free....

Enjoy shes a great ship.

Roscoe

Skincruiser

Wow such a wonderful present. My daughter treated me on a mini Celebrity cruise as a Mothers Day gift, loved every minute and appreciated it.

Your in laws might enjoy a light lunch in Cafe Carinthia which leaves room for the afternoon tea in the Queens room. Of course they could opt for the occasional room service.

Happy New Year

Thank you to all of those who helped out with my query.

Final questions: What are the show times on QV? My in-laws are at early dinner.

Where is a good lounge where they can just sit and watch the sea pass by?

Sincruiser

Must be The Commodore Club,

However the Cafe Corinthia or Chart Room on QV is good if you can get a Port side window

Dear Roscoe Is the Pub free at lunchtime? The Cunard website talks of it being for a fee.

Do you know the normal showtimes on QV?

Skincruisers

Not Roscoe

But the Show times are 7pm for late diners and 8.45 for early diners.

The Pub Food is free.

Usually on offer is Ploughman's, Curry, Pie and the Usual Fish and Chips.

Not Roscoe

The Pub Food is free.

We have very occasionally had a pre-dinner show for late sitting (I think they have started doing that for the last night) but it is usually 10.30 in my experience.

We have very occasionally had a pre-dinner show for late sitting (I think they have started doing that for the last night) but it is usually 10.30 in my experience.
Agreed, the show is usually after dinner for both seatings.

(very occasionally before dinner for second seating).

Must be The Commodore Club,

However the Cafe Corinthia or Chart Room on QV is good if you can get a Port side window

It's been a few years since I was on QV, but my recollection is of the Cafe Carinthia and Chart Room being on the starboard side of the ship? My apologies if my memory is playing tricks yet again. Edited by pepperrn

Not Roscoe

The Pub Food is free.

With apologies, looked up an unusual daily programme.

8.30pm and 10.30pm appear to be the normal times listed in The Daily Programme.

Also got my right to left sides confused

Quite correct Both the Cafe Corinthia and Chart room are on the starboard side. (I knew it was on the same side as the pub)

Edited by Pennbank

... Also got my right to left sides confused ...
Ah, welcome to my world... I'm at the stage of writing L & R in appropriate colours on the back of the correct hand... if I can remember which is which before I write :o Edited by pepperrn

Ah, welcome to my world... I'm at the stage of writing L & R in appropriate colours on the back of the correct hand... if I can remember which is which before I write :o

I find it confusing which way the ship sails. Should remember though that the Brittania Dining is always at the Stern of the ship. Hence when you come out of the Golden Lion and turn left its Starboard side, not port !!!!! :D

Edited by Pennbank