New updates on NCL Gem after dry dock?

mrsurban14

Hi there!

My husband and i were on the Gem last year, but i read it was just dry-docked and given new updates last month. Has anyone just gotten off and saw the updates? New bars? We are sailing on her next month again with family..just wanted to see what we are in for!

Thanks in advance! :):):):)

Hello and welcome to Cruise Critic!

There is a search feature that you can use in the upper right of each forum and thread when you are logged in. The updates to the Gem have been discussed in a number of places, including the following thread (go to the more recent posts):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2125392&highlight=gem

Have a great cruise. You're on right before us, so take good care of the ship! :)

The slide in the pool isn't operational and the internet is bordering on outright revolt over it.

Chaos on the high seas, people want to mutiny and never said NCL again because the pump isn't working and inspection hasn't been completed.

It's quite possibly the worst ship in the entire fleet now over this issue.

Hi there!

My husband and i were on the Gem last year, but i read it was just dry-docked and given new updates last month. Has anyone just gotten off and saw the updates? New bars? We are sailing on her next month again with family..just wanted to see what we are in for!

New carpets just about everywhere, new chairs in Cagneys, everything looks really spic and span!

Hi there!

You should come and join our Roll Call.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2155769&page=53

Hello and welcome to Cruise Critic!

There is a search feature that you can use in the upper right of each forum and thread when you are logged in. The updates to the Gem have been discussed in a number of places, including the following thread (go to the more recent posts):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2125392&highlight=gem

Have a great cruise. You're on right before us, so take good care of the ship! :)

Thanks so much! Have a great cruise, we will keep the ship warm for you! :)

The slide in the pool isn't operational and the internet is bordering on outright revolt over it.

Chaos on the high seas, people want to mutiny and never said NCL again because the pump isn't working and inspection hasn't been completed.

Post of the day! :)

because of the slide ????? seems kind of extreme to me

Marion

• 2 weeks later...

Beware of farthest forward cabins on 8th Floor. (ex 8505) That first run has open construction areas below, and the sledge hammers start at 6am. Four days into it I inisted on a move which they verrrrrrryyyyyyy reluctantly gave me. What a hassle.

O'Shanigan looks good, and always fairly quiet, eat anytime, but the food is disgusting. One should really look at their meatloaf and mashed potatoes-okay I admit it's comfort food hell, -but it was otherworldly, and I'm not talking about heaven.

Dining room was always okay. Prime rib nights were too large for anyone sporting a vascular system.

Their specialty restaurants: Cagneys is truly wonderful. The French is very good, if very hard to locate. Tepanani is horrid.....they over cook food with a lot of noise. The Italian one was dreadful...........the driest Oso Buco I have ever tasted, and the waiter wanted to give me a lecture on how was cooked.

He seemed pissy I hadn't touched it except to taste. Didn't do the meat market one.......too many people told me the food was bad.

Definately get an UDP it you drink. Wine at $10 and spirits $9, Beer 8.50 - can bring out the scrooge and ruin your trip if you don't have one.

Being on a cruise single, and paying double......I came away a little jaded. Think next cruise will be one I can approach a little more positively, and sail with a cruise line that offers trips at less than double fares.

Knowing I had paid actually a little more than double, I enquired one day if I could purchase a glass of wine for a woman I was chatting with. (I had paid for 2 passengers with UDP) They were quite insulting about my even asking.

So, it was then "please bring me a glass of wine and an empty glass. Thank you" That request was very slowly fulfilled.

Their set of 6 martini's in the martini bar are a huge bargain. If you like them, chase them down.

3rd last day I developed a horrible sore throat and hoarse voice. Had to see the doctor. $204 for 5 antibiotic tablets, a package of lozenges and generic chest decongestant. Pretty expensive.......no tests, nothing. Listened to my chest and told me I didn't have pneumonia. I knew that.

More later, or if you ask.......

Beware of farthest forward cabins on 8th Floor. (ex 8505) That first run has open construction areas below, and the sledge hammers start at 6am. Four days into it I inisted on a move which they verrrrrrryyyyyyy reluctantly gave me. What a hassle.

O'Shanigan looks good, and always fairly quiet, eat anytime, but the food is disgusting. One should really look at their meatloaf and mashed potatoes-okay I admit it's comfort food hell, -but it was otherworldly, and I'm not talking about heaven.

Dining room was always okay. Prime rib nights were too large for anyone sporting a vascular system.

Their specialty restaurants: Cagneys is truly wonderful. The French is very good, if very hard to locate. Tepanani is horrid.....they over cook food with a lot of noise. The Italian one was dreadful...........the driest Oso Buco I have ever tasted, and the waiter wanted to give me a lecture on how was cooked.

He seemed pissy I hadn't touched it except to taste. Didn't do the meat market one.......too many people told me the food was bad.

Definately get an UDP it you drink. Wine at $10 and spirits $9, Beer 8.50 - can bring out the scrooge and ruin your trip if you don't have one.

Being on a cruise single, and paying double......I came away a little jaded. Think next cruise will be one I can approach a little more positively, and sail with a cruise line that offers trips at less than double fares.

Knowing I had paid actually a little more than double, I enquired one day if I could purchase a glass of wine for a woman I was chatting with. (I had paid for 2 passengers with UDP) They were quite insulting about my even asking.

So, it was then "please bring me a glass of wine and an empty glass. Thank you" That request was very slowly fulfilled.

Their set of 6 martini's in the martini bar are a huge bargain. If you like them, chase them down.

3rd last day I developed a horrible sore throat and hoarse voice. Had to see the doctor. $204 for 5 antibiotic tablets, a package of lozenges and generic chest decongestant. Pretty expensive.......no tests, nothing. Listened to my chest and told me I didn't have pneumonia. I knew that.

More later, or if you ask.......

Hi there!

Did you encounter any bad seas on your trip? We have yet to be in rough seas on the Gem. We have the UBP for us both as part of our cruise fare promo. Any favorite drinks you can remember?

Gem

Just returned. I agree oshehaans was about the worst food and slowest service we had on any ship. Food was not fresh over salted and inedible.

Italian I actually liked although the staff while trying, were clearly not trained properly. I also don't think the a la cart pricing will work. I don't understand why I should pay anything for meatballs and spaghetti. Most of th menu is plain food. Chicken parmigiana , Osso buco need not be charged for

Gem

Just returned. I agree oshehaans was about the worst food and slowest service we had on any ship. Food was not fresh over salted and inedible.

Italian I actually liked although the staff while trying, were clearly not trained properly. I also don't think the a la cart pricing will work. I don't understand why I should pay anything for meatballs and spaghetti. Most of th menu is plain food. Chicken parmigiana , Osso buco need not be charged for

I totally agree with your complaints about O'Sheehan's. The service was very slow, and the food was oversalted. I ordered the fish & chips and couldn't eat them because they were so salty. Now my son (18) thought the burgers were very good, but that was at 3am after spending the night in Bliss. We all remember those diner's after going to the club? Anything tasted good at 3am.

The staff at osheehans just doesn't know what they are doing IMHO

They brought stuff out in the wrong order and never refilled our water

The grilled chicken sandwich was good though

It's no surprise the tables are empty at osheehans

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi there!

Did you encounter any bad seas on your trip? We have yet to be in rough seas on the Gem. We have the UBP for us both as part of our cruise fare promo. Any favorite drinks you can remember?

Okay serious post from me (ignore the slide nonsense)

Last year on our February 10 day cruise we experienced the worst wave we have ever encountered on night one of the cruise leaving NYC.

It was early morning, too early to wake up but past the time everyone wakes up. My wife suddenly grabs me and screams. I open my eyes and feel myself pointing up. Then the ship rolls the other way and we are what feels like standing up, looking straight down at the door, while laying in bed. It was intense, felt like one of those carnival rides of a pirate ship rocking back and forth.

The captain got on the intercom that morning and described it as, I quote, "a little motion last night". We spoke to the hotel director when we saw him later that day, he said the boat could withstand many more times what we went through. The bar and restaurant staff talked about how anything not bolted down was tossed that morning, many plates, bottles, and liquor broken.