Koningsdam Countdown-Double Digits

1ANGELCAT

We pre-booked Le Cirque for our Baltic B2B cruise on the Koningsdan in june.

Recieved a mail from HAL that it was cancelled (we get our money back)

They offer De Librije, not le Cirque. We have booked De Librije twice (I think it is better than LeCirque) (De Librije is the 3 Michelin star restaurant in The Netherlands owned by Jonnie Boer)

Woo-hoo. Just made final payment.

Now time to start thinking about excursions and 1 night in Rome before the cruise.

We will arrive in Italy a few nights prior as well and have not booked any excursions yet.

In the past, I have always combined our own exploring, CC recommended tours & HAL excursions. I am leaning towards HAL excursions this time since I am less familiar with some of our ports.

What tours are you considering? I am stumped... so few reviews available on line for some of those HAL tours offered. (& some mixed "port reviews" on the Europe boards) :confused:

BTW... we spent 10 days in Italy a few years back. (I know your time in Rome is limited- but...) The hotels are eager to share their "contacts" & drivers to share their Rome with you. We had prebooked some touring and regretted it later after meeting a cabbie we really connected with. (He even took us out for the day to Naples & Sorrento... We let him choose lunch. It was great!). We had similar experiences with other hotels and drivers in the other cities we visited. :)

We will arrive in Italy a few nights prior as well and have not booked any excursions yet.

In the past, I have always combined our own exploring, CC recommended tours & HAL excursions. I am leaning towards HAL excursions this time since I am less familiar with some of our ports.

What tours are you considering? I am stumped... so few reviews available on line for some of those HAL tours offered. (& some mixed "port reviews" on the Europe boards) :confused:

BTW... we spent 10 days in Italy a few years back. (I know your time in Rome is limited- but...) The hotels are eager to share their "contacts" & drivers to share their Rome with you. We had prebooked some touring and regretted it later after meeting a cabbie we really connected with. (He even took us out for the day to Naples & Sorrento... We let him choose lunch. It was great!). We had similar experiences with other hotels and drivers in the other cities we visited. :)

Looking at probably doing HAL tours for Olympia/Winery and Capri. Not sure what else I want to do. The cable car in Dubrovnik also interests me.

As far as Rome, I will probably pre-book the Vatican for the afternoon and just relax in the evening. At that point the jet lag will do me in[emoji2]

Looking at probably doing HAL tours for Olympia/Winery and Capri. Not sure what else I want to do. The cable car in Dubrovnik also interests me.

As far as Rome, I will probably pre-book the Vatican for the afternoon and just relax in the evening. At that point the jet lag will do me in[emoji2]

I HIGHLY recommend Tours of Capri-- discover Capri by boat. 12 people on a small boat and less $ than people on my land tour spent going through the company I was touring with for a less awesome experience.

Don't know if the timing will work, but I certainly recommend that you check them out!

Edited by denatravels

I HIGHLY recommend Tours of Capri-- discover Capri by boat. 12 people on a small boat and less $ than people on my land tour spent going through the company I was touring with for a less awesome experience.

Don't know if the timing will work, but I certainly recommend that you check them out!

Thanks

If this is your first visit to Rome... and you visit only one place... the Vatican is a must!

I spent a few hours reviewing the port tours yesterday. I am considering the following:

-DUBROVNIK & CROATIA’S COUNTRYSIDE (I have opted out of walking the city walls because I am worried about the uneven narrow steps and overcrowding. But my husband may still go. He has no balance concerns and the photo opportunities are everywhere...)

-THE BEST OF CORFU

-(like you) THE ANCIENT OLYMPIA & MERCOURI’S VINEYARDS or BEST OF OLYMPIA

-ANCIENT HERCULANEUM or The CRUISE TO THE ISLE OF CAPRI (esp. after Denatravels post, I will explore the company she recommended)... **We have already hiked about Pompeii in the past... BUT I do think Pompeii is the "must" if you have never explored

If this is your first visit to Rome... and you visit only one place... the Vatican is a must!

I spent a few hours reviewing the port tours yesterday. I am considering the following:

-DUBROVNIK & CROATIA’S COUNTRYSIDE (I have opted out of walking the city walls because I am worried about the uneven narrow steps and overcrowding. But my husband may still go. He has no balance concerns and the photo opportunities are everywhere...)

-THE BEST OF CORFU

-(like you) THE ANCIENT OLYMPIA & MERCOURI’S VINEYARDS or BEST OF OLYMPIA

-ANCIENT HERCULANEUM or The CRUISE TO THE ISLE OF CAPRI (esp. after Denatravels post, I will explore the company she recommended)... **We have already hiked about Pompeii in the past... BUT I do think Pompeii is the "must" if you have never explored

Not my first visit to Rome. My first visit was only for 2 days after a transatlantic on Eurodam 3 years ago. Staying at Visconti Palace again so I know I can walk to Vatican from there. Still thinking about everything else. Capri really depends on the weather.

I just wish more of the speciality dining options would become available,especially Sel de Mer.

• 5 weeks later...
How far in advance does HAL typically allow people to make reservations?

Tom

It's a long time out, but I don't exactly how long. We usually book about a year in advance, and typically we can make specialty restaurant reservations right after booking. The same is true on the K'dam for the Canaletto, Tamarind, and PinnacleG, but for the new Sel de Mer that hasn't been the case yet ... nor is there any way yet to make reservations at the new Dutch Cafe or Culinary Arts Center for dinner. I'm wondering if they are all going to be run like the Explorations Cafe ... walk-in if there is room, and pay a la carte.

Edited by jtl513

It's a long time out, but I don't exactly how long. We usually book about a year in advance, and typically we can make specialty restaurant reservations right after booking. The same is true on the K'dam for the Canaletto, Tamarind, and PinnacleG, but for the new Sel de Mer that hasn't been the case yet ... nor is there any way yet to make reservations at the new Dutch Cafe or Culinary Arts Center for dinner. I'm wondering if they are all going to be run like the Explorations Cafe ... walk-in if there is room, and pay a la carte.

We are sailing mid June and can't book sel de mar either nor spa reservations. I booked de libreje (and Le cirque but they have cancelled that offering now).

Do people recommend pre booking Canaletto and tamarind now? Or is it feasible to wait until we are onboard?

On my only other cruise (X Equinox) we bought a dine around package as we were embarking and made all our reservations on the spot worked really well, does Hal do anything similar (you even got a discount because you were booking all restaurants)

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app

Do people recommend pre booking Canaletto and tamarind now? Or is it feasible to wait until we are onboard?
We've already booked the Tamarind for one night, and we haven't eaten in a Canaletto in 3 years or so because we really enjoy the MDR more than that. I'm anxious to pre-book the Sel de Mer if possible, because I think it's going to be very popular with people trying it out.

Edited by catl331

Does anyone have a link to the menus for these places?

On cruises where there are specialty restaurants, that's where we dine every night. We gave up on the MDR years ago, and don't mind paying extra for an experience which offers better food/selection, service, and ambiance.

I noticed one which came up as an option on our sailing was something that's offered only once per cruise: Taste of De Librije. Can I assume that's a (generally) enjoyed experience?

Tom

Edited by Tom-n-Cheryl

Tom, the website halfacts.com has examples of previous menus. I have read threads on de libreje, at the risk of paraphrasing others the consensus seemed to be that it suited European palettes more than American (I am not personally aware of the difference being neither [emoji4]). Some complained it used too much "foam".

I am looking forward to it, we enjoyed the specialty restaurants on our X cruise

HERE IS the current Tamarind menu.

I just read the menu to my wife and she told me to book it every night [emoji846]

Btw I seem to remember you can have lunch in tamarind, is that correct? Online you can only book dinner, how does lunch work?

Btw I seem to remember you can have lunch in tamarind, is that correct? Online you can only book dinner, how does lunch work?
Unfortunately, the Tam is no longer open for lunch on either of the Signature ships. I am hoping it will come back someday in some form.

Edited by jtl513

Dutch Cafe will be similar to the Explorations Cafe or International Cafe on Princess. The Culinary Arts Center Dinner will be like it is now with sign on up board I am sure. Now Sel de Mar is totally unknown, especially since it will be ala carte. I would not be surprised if HAL has no idea yet how they are going to handle this. I would also not be surprised that those of us on the first 7 days will not even have the opportunity to dine here. As of today not available for any type of reservations but then you also cannot make any Spa Reservations like you can on the other ships.

Tom, the website halfacts.com has examples of previous menus. I have read threads on de libreje, at the risk of paraphrasing others the consensus seemed to be that it suited European palettes more than American (I am not personally aware of the difference being neither [emoji4]). Some complained it used too much "foam".

I am looking forward to it, we enjoyed the specialty restaurants on our X cruise

Went ahead and booked this place, since our favorite time (7 pm) was available.

----------------------------

Can anyone tell me if HAL has a Chef's Table too ? We've enjoyed Chef's Tables a few times on Carnival, and have it booked (well, "held") for our Equinox sailing next month.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Asked my ta to question Hal about koningsdam specialty restaurant offerings. The rep admitted they still don't really know how things are going to work and what exactly will be offered. She suspects sel de mer will only be book able once onboard. I asked about more comprehensive dine around packages (at this stage only a combo of pinnacle grill and canneletto is possible) they doubt there will be any others