PG cabins on QV & QE

Colin_Cameron

Thoughts anyone?

While we have sailed in both PG and QG on QE2 and QM2 we have never tried them on either QV or QE (but we have sailed on both ships, multiple times). We're thinking that the current "Upgrade, on us" promotion would be a good opportunity to try it out.

However... Looking at on-line and brochure photos, I'm finding the PG cabins a little uninspiring. A bit longer than normal balcony cabins and this, at least in the photos, makes them look narrower. They would appear to be only slightly larger than our normal deluxe insides but with a less usable layout. The two square cabins at the front of deck 5 look interesting but I can't find any photos of them.

The QG cabins on the other hand, look special. And if you're only paying PG prices...:D

Colin.

Thoughts anyone?

While we have sailed in both PG and QG on QE2 and QM2 we have never tried them on either QV or QE (but we have sailed on both ships, multiple times). We're thinking that the current "Upgrade, on us" promotion would be a good opportunity to try it out.

However... Looking at on-line and brochure photos, I'm finding the PG cabins a little uninspiring. A bit longer than normal balcony cabins and this, at least in the photos, makes them look narrower. They would appear to be only slightly larger than our normal deluxe insides but with a less usable layout. The two square cabins at the front of deck 5 look interesting but I can't find any photos of them.

The QG cabins on the other hand, look special. And if you're only paying PG prices...:D

Colin.

The PG cabins (except the 2 on deck 5) are, as you suggest long and narrow. they are in fact the same width as the standard balcony cabins but are considerably longer and the lounge area space is nice and separate - you have a TV in there as well as the bedroom area. Somewhere on this forum is a photo of the deck 5 suites....I remember seeing a couple when I was researching the same thing, but that was a few years ago now. We didnt fancy being right at the bow. The bathroom is bigger too - you have a bath as well as shower over. Interestingly, the Superior deluxe cabins on P & Os Azura are identical to the PG suites on QE/QV. Where I think QV & QE score over the QM2 is the Grill dining area - especially the outside area and the terrace at the top of the ship. Its lovely.

Cant help with QG I'm afraid.....I just dream...!

Hope that helps...:)

Edited by Mysticalmother

Thoughts anyone?

Colin.

I have done a number of Princess Grill voyages on both Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth.

On all occasions I have been more than satisfied with the sizes and facilities in the stateroom...

Queen Victoria...

9139912467_cb9c80f6ac_z.jpg

9139911709_959375fd27_z.jpg

And a link to the voyage review...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/07/08/queen-victoria-new-year-getaway/

Queen Elizabeth...

princess-grill-stateroom.jpg?w=470&h=312

and the review...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/03/21/queen-elizabeth-maiden-season/

While I consider Queen Mary 2 my favourite ship I'm the first to admit that you cannot beat the Grills Restaurants on Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth for style and setting.

Thoughts anyone?

Colin.

The separate shower cubicle and two room layout of the bathroom in QG is nice and my wife likes the bed adjacent to the window in QG.

We tried a PG cabin a few weeks ago, the first time after travelling QG for quite some time. We thought it ok, but lacked the storage of the QG and the homliness. The balcony was of course very small and the bathroom was also small, with an over bath shower, which we both hate. The restaurant however, was great and service every bit as good as QG, even with dining off menu.

So for a short trip PG would be fine for us, but for anything longer, we'd opt for QG.

I knew what we were getting regards to the PG stateroom on the QE, so it wouldn't be appropriate to say we were disappointed, but the PG rooms on the QM2 are definitely superior. Unlike the PG staterooms on the QM2, the QE stateroom did not have a walk-in cupboard - just a large space adjacent to the bathroom entrance. Any guests you invite will see your clothes. As others have said the balcony is tiny, not what you would expect from a superior accommodation.

I am in agreement with most others that the dining, lounge and deck areas of the Grills on the QE and QV are superior to those on the QM2.

I've now found some photos of 5001 & 2 and they look OK.

Richard, Your photos of the P grade cabins are better than any I have seen. Congratulations.

To add to our dilema we have now narrowed our choice of cruises down to two. Both in the Med and both with a couple of new ports for us. A rare find these days.

It was when I noticed that they were consecutive that I started to fantasize. :)

"We could do both."

"NO!" was her response.

"In the Queens Grill" I suggested.

"#### NO!" was her response

Never one to take a first (or second) answer as final, I plan to make enquiries.:D

Thanks for your input everyone.

Regards, Colin.

Thoughts anyone?

Colin.

In 2012 we had a "wheel chair" accessible cabin on the QV. We were given the opportunity to upgrade while on board to a P-1.(full cost by the way) The handicap cabin had much more space(about the size of a P-1 on the QM2)We thought the restaurant was tempting, but opted for the extra space.

Disembarked this morning from the QV 7 night cruise to Copenhagen and Hamburg. We were in P2 5094 which has a slightly smaller balcony (rounded). I had feared that the cabin might feel small but actually there is plenty of space in the sitting area. We had pretty atrocious weather the whole week so didn't often venture on to the Balcony, which had 2 chairs and a table. The cabin was very comfortable. The bathroom is not enormous but works well, my only gripe was that, when the shower curtain is closed, there is very little light in the shower/bath.

The Princess Grill itself was really good both service wise and in food choice and quality.

We really enjoyed our cruise and I will write a review in the next few days.