Chair hog strategies for 2016

Jezo

You made my night!!!!

My favorite is when they put their stuff on it, clamp the towel on with personalized clamps, and the fold up the chair!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For What It's Worth

As soon as those piglets left the pool deck, I gathered up all of their towels and put them on the Pool Attendants stand.

This all happened at 6:30 am

Sorry, but I think it's a little psycho of you to be taking those photos. Creep alert!

My vacation photos look nothing like that.

I have 3 photos of this out of 700 photos

I hardly think this is creepy, as they are CHAIRS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I knew I'd learn something in this forum.

#1 Don't assume.

#2 If I want something: a table, a chair, etc, ask a Deck Staff for it.

Not related to the quoted post, but if there is space for you to move a chair to, there is space for an attendant to add a chair.

I like to get a chair on the upper level, but that I can see from the pool, so that I have to walk around to get something, pool, bar, bathroom. Exercise I call it. (Though it's not really.) Plus I get to peacock some.

When I go away for a while, like buffet, and I see folks searching for chairs, I ask a kind couple near me to let potential takers know I'll be back.

lol at 'i get to peacock some' ... you are too funny! we like to get the chairs on the upper level also so we can see the action at the pool and watch the silly contests... and we need the exercise to/from the pool to work off all those froo froo drinks all day! haha cheers to the folks around us that will watch our chairs..as we do for them too. it's all about balance :)

You mean to tell me that when you find random items on a lounge chair like a book, sunscreen, sunglasses that, that is someone trying to reserve that lounge chair ? I thought the cruise line left them there to make my cruise more enjoyable, because it always has in the past.

• 1 month later...

Been cruising for many years and I've witnessed this chair hogging on every cruise. I try to avoid using the pool area on sea days. I sometimes wait until late afternoon and find a seat then take a dip. But I live in Florida and have plenty of nice days if I want to go lay in the sun but I feel bad for the people coming on vacation from climates where it's cold and rainy 80% of the year and they're looking forward to using the pool all day and a close lounger. I don't know what the answer is. I wish people weren't so inconsiderate.

Just got off of the Jade, and they were using a sticker system with times written on them. Though I never used the main pool deck, I did walk through it several times on the way to the gym and spa. Even on sea days, there were some open loungers, so it seemed to be working.

We were pleasantly surprised last April on the Getaway that staff walked around by 10 or 11 and then all day, placing stickers on chairs with the time. If they walked by 20 minutes or so after stickers time and chairs were still vacant, they moved the stuff. Even on spring break we didn't have much trouble getting chairs all day. THIS YEAR WE ARE IN THE HAVEN BUT I WILL STILL WANT TO BE BY THE BIG POOL ON DECK! I HOPE THIS IS BECOMING MORE COMMON PRACTICE?

Sorry for shouting...typing on a mobile device..

November 2015 did a TA on the Spirit, as soon as we hit the six days at sea, hogging became a problem as the weather was great, but on the second day staff were placing red stickers with time noted on them on sun beds. I did see staff remove towels and personal items (from red sticker ones) to free up beds for those that asked. The worse I saw were two beds folded with tables some how wedged in them, least to say an argument started, and another was a male who always got three beds together and a table, one bed for him, one for mother and yes one for his Music Centre I kid you not and the best bit was if he left the area and came back and found the NCL ashtray missing from his table did he through a strop.

I find if I'm on my own there's always someone near and I say can you keep an eye on my bed I'm going to ABC and should be back in X minutes, problem solved ;)

Dickie

Face the facts, NCL lives for"chair hogs" as they apparently are their "bread and butter". That is why I'm looking elsewhere for my next cruise, possibly Sea Dream as opposed to a haven suite. Sadly NCL has descended downward despite the faux enticements of unlimited alcohol and dubious "specialty restaurants" .

NCL is on a downward slide in my opinion and that's why I'm looking elsewhere for my next cruise.

NCL is rapidly challenging CCL for trashiest cruises. I've been on both.

H&J, H postingl.

Face the facts, NCL lives for"chair hogs" as they apparently are their "bread and butter". That is why I'm looking elsewhere for my next cruise, possibly Sea Dream as opposed to a haven suite. Sadly NCL has descended downward despite the faux enticements of unlimited alcohol and dubious "specialty restaurants" .

NCL is on a downward slide in my opinion and that's why I'm looking elsewhere for my next cruise.

NCL is rapidly challenging CCL for trashiest cruises. I've been on both.

H&J, H postingl.

Don't switch over to Celebrity if you don't want chair hogs and beverage packages, because they have both. The chair hogs on Celebrity no only save chairs in the sun, they save the same amount in the shade, so they can go back and forth.

I have a flawless plan to get a prime location chair that has never failed me yet. That plan is to get my butt out of bed at a decent hour and go get a chair. Ta-da! I know there are some people who like to sleep in until 10 or whatever, then whine that they didn't find a chair, but they should consider trying my plan instead of blaming others.

Couldn't agree more. We are sun worshipers and have been doing this for 20 years. If we did happen to get up too late, we look around for alternate spots (non prime, not close to the pool). We can always find a chair somewhere if that's the case but it might not be adjacent to the pool.

We would never think of taking people's personal belongings and moving them or placing them on the deck/floor. That's just outright rude in my opinion. I just can't understand those late sleepers who continually whine about this topic :rolleyes:

What is the time limit now for an unoccupied chair on most NCL ships? 30 minutes?, 45 minutes? I think it is an extremely aggressive thing to move someone's stuff after 15 minutes if the time limit is 30. In addition I would rather have one of the cruise staff move their stuff then move it myself

The last time I sailed the Breakaway we usually sat one deck up from the pool ( where there were usually plenty of empty loungers) because seats right next to the pool are usually to noisy when the band or DJ is playing

What is the time limit now for an unoccupied chair on most NCL ships? 30 minutes?, 45 minutes? I think it is an extremely aggressive thing to move someone's stuff after 15 minutes if the time limit is 30. In addition I would rather have one of the cruise staff move their stuff then move it myself

The last time I sailed the Breakaway we usually sat one deck up from the pool ( where there were usually plenty of empty loungers) because seats right next to the pool are usually to noisy when the band or DJ is playing

The time limit is 60 minutes, but it is rarely enforced.

The time limit is 60 minutes, but it is rarely enforced.

Well then I think people should respect the NCL rule and not make up their own random times ( 15 minutes, 20 minutes, immediately) where they feel they have a right to that chair

As far as the opinion that someone should take their stuff with them when they plan on going inside for a quick bite- Easier said then done. I am sure most people would prefer not having to drag all their towels, beach bags, etc through the buffet area. It is also probably more sanitary if they didn't

I have never had an issue with someone that leaves a chair for 15-20 minutes to use the restroom and maybe grab a quick slice of pizza or something

It is the people that send one person out at 6AM to reserve two or more chairs ( usually with a banana, a book or a single flip flop) and that party doesn't show up at the pool area until several hours later

Just a thought. Certainly, I am not ok with people who put towels on chairs at 6 am and don't return of until 3 pm. But. As an example here: last year on the Jewel, I took my kids (6 and 3) to the pool. I put our stuff on a chair and stood at the edge of the pool to supervise. We were there 2-3 hours. I wasn't comfortable sitting that far away from the pool (the chair was in the shade) while the kids were swimming in an overcrowded pool that was too deep for them to touch bottom. Does that make me a "chair hog"?? I was there, just not "sunning" (it wasn't a lounge chair). Should I have put all our towels/sunscreen/cards/shoes somewhere on the floor? Because that's just gross.

And that being said, it's a big part of the reason our Jade cruise is booked in the Haven.

if one can lay a towel on the sand at the beach and put stuff on it and that is okay why is putting stuff on a towel on the deck of a ship gross :confused:

I refuse to spend my well-earned vacation getting into a screaming match with another adult about a chair. Especially when you're in a confined space with that person for the next 5-7 days! If I want a chair in a prime location, I get up early and sit in the chair and read a book, people watch, etc. I don't have young kids, so I don't need to be next to the pool. If I want to sleep in, I take my chances with whatever chair I can find.

It's unfortunate that everyone can't be a little more thoughtful and respectful of this issue. If you don't need to be right next to the pool, leave those seats for parents who need to keep an eye on their kids. If you have a group of 10, ask yourself if 10 people will REALLY be sitting in those chairs at all times - more likely you can get away with 3-4 chairs. If we can't manage this issue as adults, it will give the cruise lines another excuse to charge us to "reserve" chairs...

if one can lay a towel on the sand at the beach and put stuff on it and that is okay why is putting stuff on a towel on the deck of a ship gross :confused:

Agreed.

And the chairs, where people have their sweaty bodies and naughty bits in speedos laying on them in the chairs are as gross as the deck . The chairs aren't wiped down between users, and the towels folks lay on are not impervious. I also have seen moms changing diapers on the loungers.

It may be considered "rude" but the deck is no grosser than the chairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We just nicely fold the towel and turn it in or use it. If someone shows up in 15 - 20 minutes we give the chair back. If later than that we direct them to the on board staff. If they have left belongings we dont take the seat. Only if they left towels.

-Sean

http://www.herdofturtles.org

That sounds like you're asking for a fight though. I normally just patiently wait for a chair to become available. That always happens eventually.

Well then I think people should respect the NCL rule and not make up their own random times ( 15 minutes, 20 minutes, immediately) where they feel they have a right to that chair

As far as the opinion that someone should take their stuff with them when they plan on going inside for a quick bite- Easier said then done. I am sure most people would prefer not having to drag all their towels, beach bags, etc through the buffet area. It is also probably more sanitary if they didn't

I have never had an issue with someone that leaves a chair for 15-20 minutes to use the restroom and maybe grab a quick slice of pizza or something

It is the people that send one person out at 6AM to reserve two or more chairs ( usually with a banana, a book or a single flip flop) and that party doesn't show up at the pool area until several hours later

People on these boards like to "talk". I have been cruising for 34 years, and have yet to see anyone just walk up to a chair, throw someone's stuff on the ground, and steal the chair. It just doesn't happen. I have seen people ask folks sitting around the vacant chair if anyone was sitting there. If the answer is yes, or they just got up, people move on. On occasion the answer will be "I haven't seen anyone for the 4 hours I have been out here". At that point, yes, the stuff has been removed. But all of these tough guys on here saying they will just throw the stuff on the floor and sit? Please. It just doesn't happen :rolleyes:

I am in my chair from 6 am until mid-afternoon most days. I do not "take my stuff" when running to the buffet for food, going for a swim, or using the restroom. Ridiculous.