Do we tip?

Smbruner

There is no gratuity/hotel service charge added to your account on Hurtigruten and none is expected. If you choose to tip an individual (in NOKs cash) it may or may not be accepted... it's not part of the culture in Norway. We didn't tip anyone so I don't know how it would be received, but others will add their experiences below I'm sure. m--

If you are sailing on the Coastal Express in Norway then indeed no tip is required nor expected.

On exploration cruises (Antarctica, at this season) then you can tip and I seem to remember a indicative amount of 50 to 80NOK per passenger per day (if I'm wrong, please correct). You can just ask it to be added to your cruise account. It is not mandatory but recommended.

As others have said, the coastal cruises do not expect tips but the subject is raised on the expedition cruises.

However, wherever we are, whatever the circumstances, we only ever tip if someone goes significantly above and beyond what we would expect.

The idea that we pay an invoice and then, later on, are expected/recommended/invited to top it up is not one we accept...

Edited by digitl

I've been told Europeans don't expect tips. So I stopped tipping. You may not agree with this, but I've heard some may take it as almost an insult to tip. And I kind of understand that. As though Americans are looking down on them throwing a couple of dollars at them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been told Europeans don't expect tips. So I stopped tipping. You may not agree with this, but I've heard some may take it as almost an insult to tip. And I kind of understand that. As though Americans are looking down on them throwing a couple of dollars at them.

'Europeans' covers a whole range of views and values from quite a number of countries!

I don't think it's about 'Americans looking down', more about 'I've paid the advertised price so why do I need to pay more?'. As far as I am concerned, if it costs £?? to provide a service and pay the employee the rate for the job then £?? should be the advertised price. Not £?? -£x and hope the client will add on the £x by way of a 'tip' to make the employee's pay up to the correct rate. Tips should be for service 'above and beyond', not simply for service.

It's a little like shopping in the US where prices are shown without mandatory taxes and the customer has to do the maths to get to what they will have to pay.

But all of that it just my opinion. Others will, and do, have different views...

When I lived in Sweden some years ago, I was told that no one considered the work they did a "job"....it was a profession. You wouldn't tip your doctor, therefore you didn't tip anyone else. Also, in restaurants the tip is usually included in the total. Few people tip on the Hurtigruten Coastal ships; I have not had experience on the Explorer a voyages.

When I lived in Sweden some years ago, I was told that no one considered the work they did a "job"....it was a profession. You wouldn't tip your doctor, therefore you didn't tip anyone else. Also, in restaurants the tip is usually included in the total. Few people tip on the Hurtigruten Coastal ships; I have not had experience on the Explorer a voyages.

Exactly! Well put. I think in the states tipping waitstaff is so drilled into us, that we feel like we should be doing it wherever we go, which is not the case.