Beach snorkeling within walking distance of the port.

diverdon48371

Can someone tell me if there is beach within walking distance of the port that offers good snorkeling? I am not trying to be rude, but I am only looking for answers relating to this specific question. My wife does not like to spend a lot of time at the beach and does not snorkel. I am just looking for a decent place where I can hop in, take some pics and get out. I do not want to take a tour or go by taxi. In case it helps I am on the Carnival Conquest, in February.

Thank you in advance

Can someone tell me if there is beach within walking distance of the port that offers good snorkeling? I am not trying to be rude, but I am only looking for answers relating to this specific question. My wife does not like to spend a lot of time at the beach and does not snorkel. I am just looking for a decent place where I can hop in, take some pics and get out. I do not want to take a tour or go by taxi. In case it helps I am on the Carnival Conquest, in February.

Thank you in advance

There's not. Rent a car. See if you can find the sunken boat to snorkel. It's on the eastern part of the island. It was amazing with tons of fish.

Thank you in advance

You are not being rude at all. Hope you don't find the replies rude.

It's just that you are not going to be able to do a quick beach without a taxi in Curacao. :o

LuLu

• 2 weeks later...

I think I already posted this somewhere, but you can actually take a bus to the sunken tugboat if you don't mind walking a bit. You go to the Punda bus station (past the floating market) and take the 6A bus. Tell the driver you want to go to Caracasbaii and ask to be dropped off at the roundabout, if possible. You then walk with the bay on your right past some condos, a beach bar, etc. Pass the underwater cable installing thing--looks sort of like an oil rig. Go around the fort (fun to explore) then stay close to the shore. At the end of the line is a dive shop where you can rent gear, chairs, buy drinks, and get directions to the tugboat. Just reverse to return. While we were waiting for the bus back at the roundabout, a van stopped for us and we got to see some extra parts of the island as we worked our way back to town. Cost for the day for 2: $6 transportation, $3 for 1 chair (we brought our own gear). If you are looking for a cheap adventure, this is it--we've been here several times before so we've seen the rest of the island.

The snorkeling at the tugboat was great even though it was a very windy day. The beach there is foot killing rock so wear water shoes or enter close to the dive shop.

Interesting thread. This would not be our island of choice for an overnight (St Maarten and Aruba would be our first 2 choices) but such is life. We know Curacao, have a cruise overnight next December and will likely come back to the ship for dinner and stay aboard until the following morning. We are not wowed with Curacao restaurants or nightlife. We likely will rent a car for the 2 day stay (and park it near the ship overnight) as there are quite a few quiet beaches with decent snorkeling (some over 20 miles from the port). The overnight stay makes it very easy for us to snorkel some of these more distant beaches (far from other cruisers) without worrying about the time (particularly true on the first day of a 2 day stay).

Hank

• 4 weeks later...

We were there on Friday the 5th. If you dock at the Mega Pier, it's all rocky & looks like a pretty good current along there. But from ship, look just to the left of the pier to see a small beach, with rock jetties on each side which should eliminate much of the current but offer some fish-viewing... Nobody there & don't remember seeing a road or path through the trees. maybe Google Earth will show it. (I'd head to the rocks on the right facing the sea from shore/left from facing the shore, to be sure of current).

Better: a bit further to the left facing shore, see a semicircular man made beach that looks snorkelable, with a reef across it... Google Veneto Resort & again Google maps/Earth. Prolly have to pay a fee to use it, but by far the closest/safest. (the similar place to right of pier is actually an infinity pool/fake beach. Still would need a taxi, to avoid crossing the cutouts/canals along the shore.

Edited by sofietucker