Day by Day on the Anthem January 3

Oh yea, how is the mattress?

Just fine, I asked the steward to put the heavy comforter over the mattress pad, and its been just great ever since (it was firm at first, but not unsleepable). This occurred after day 3 when I realized it was under there and was looking for more under-bed space. The pillows were bland but acceptable. With the heavy comforter on top of the mattress pad, the bed provided an ideal combination of firm+plush. However, it never reached the BYOB (bring your own bed) category. :)

Edited by TwoTimer81

Could you please post the first day cruise compass?

I was on the 12/27/15 cruise and would be glad to email you a copy of the first day's Cruise Compass. Sorry, but my technological ineptness keeps me from uploading to Cruise Critic. Give me your email address if you want me to scan and email to you. Thanks.

I was on the 12/27/15 cruise and would be glad to email you a copy of the first day's Cruise Compass. Sorry, but my technological ineptness keeps me from uploading to Cruise Critic. Give me your email address if you want me to scan and email to you. Thanks.

If you would LIKE to post, here is what you do.

Open a (free) photobucket.com account. There are other photo-sharing websites, but this one is very easy to use.

Upload your pictures to photobucket. Photobucket will then generate a code that you paste in a message box here on Cruise Critic.

:)

Just fine, I asked the steward to put the heavy comforter over the mattress pad, and its been just great ever since (it was firm at first, but not unsleepable). This occurred after day 3 when I realized it was under there and was looking for more under-bed space. The pillows were bland but acceptable. With the heavy comforter on top of the mattress pad, the bed provided an ideal combination of firm+plush. However, it never reached the BYOB (bring your own bed) category. :)

I think this should be given as advice in every mattress thread on CC.:cool:

Well the seas calmed down slightly (no more side to side movement, just top to bottom), which allowed the iFly to open. My wife and me was able to jump into those announced slots. Info about Jamie's later on in the post.

Hits:

iFly - Our instructor Radcliffe came from the Marines and was still ripped at 53. He was excellent but firm. He took more than he was supposed to, bucking protocol for "customer service". Actual flight time is 1 minute, the "longest minute of your life" (says my wife). I didn't feel I did well as I struggled to keep my form, but with 15 seconds left he was finally able to let me go and float.

Windjammer - The made to order chicken fried rice at dinnertime was very good...the first time. The Jamaican guy who made it the first time gave way to this other Indian guy when I tried to return before his break...(see below)

Misses:

Windjammer - who proceeded to butcher my second serving! One half scoop of chicken, too much soy sauce, no gusto when stir-frying the fish. I took two bites and left the rest there.

Jamie's Italian - We took advantage of the $20 sea lunch. You get a starter, a plank, an entrée and a dessert. I tried the burger as mentioned to me earlier in the cruise, as did my wife. The service was professional, but merely ok. The burger was inferior to the one in Michael's Pub in the end. They actually tasted similar, but Michael's got that special sauce. The fries that came with Jamie's burger were clearly inferior, I didn't even finish them (the first time I didn't finish fries on this ship). The Windjammer fries were better. I had dessert, and the lemon sorbet was ok. Too bad the Haagen Daas frozen lemon sorbet tasted much better. As far as pasta is concerned, this couple sat next to us and the guy ordered pasta with a meat ragu on top. The lady ordered some roast chicken and a pasta side dish. He ate the ragu slowly and left most of the pasta there. The lady took two or three bites of the 1/4 chicken and left the rest of it there, and ate the pasta. The looks on their faces said everything even though I didn't speak to them. Based on this, and less than sterling reviews from the editorial staff and other members, I can't recommend this restaurant either, whether at the $20 lunch or $30 dinner price point, especially when Chops is open. Take your 20 bucks, add 10 and go top Chops.

On our last day 12, we will mostly stick to Michael's and order our photos. I'll do a review of the main themes later on today.

Some more notes:

Columbus Cove - Probably the best non-suite beach here. Adrenaline was a sunbathers paradise but the shells and rocks were evident in and out the water, and Nellie's had almost as many people as Columbus with only half as much beach.

I totally agree with this. Both times in Labadee, we walked right past the crowd @ Nellie's and headed right to Columbus Cove. We got chairs right on the water that provided morning sun and afternoon shade (my preference). Also, with kids, it was easy to lay there and still be able to be near the dock leading to the adventure area, but far enough away to not hear any of the noise from it... :)

There is a lot of information on the MDR's in the Quantum class ships. Crew attitude has been fine, its that when they're overwhelmed with the amount of people they have to serve with the available crew members available, that's when things bog down. It's why the luxury lines talk about the crew to passenger ratio. While I booked a lot of specialties, they haven't turned out as desired. The American and Asian food on this ship has been so-so at best, all the ethnic (Indian, West Indian, French fusion, etc). I wouldn't have booked as many specialties in future cruises, but only the Chef's Table and Wonderland is actually worth it.

The MDR's here are actually divided into four different dining rooms, each with their own menus. I believe on this cruise, the menus change once per cruise. I've heard Coastal Kitchen has much better food, but this is available to Junior Suites (dinner only) and up (Grand Suite and up can dine there at all times). It has a separate menu to what is offered elsewhere on the ship, although they use many of the same base ingredients (I expect branzino to also be up there).

Wonderland is something the whole family can try, and multiple reservations can snag a discount. There was a party of 8 or 12 (I can't remember exactly) dining there the night we were in there. However, must of the stated "imagination" is lost after the first meal there. The second meal with be identical, save subbing out a meat flight with a fish flight. Chef's Table is really for adult couples only, so your party would be divided on that night.

Chops and Jaime's are also open on sea days for lunch, take advantage of the reduced pricing. The pub has some sort of discount daily (mostly the burger, but Ive seen the bangers and mash and fish and chips also reduced). I'll see if I can come up with some sort of plan for you.

Dinner CK is also offered to Jr. Spa suits..on The Anthem at least.

Edited by Kosi

Dinner CK is also offered to Jr. Spa suits..on The Anthem at least.

I'm aware :) I'm in a JS suite next cruise, couldn't find a way to shorthand it (lol). For those following, tonight will be my last post, as I'm self assisting early tomorrow morning to beat some traffic (hopefully) as we have to drive north from Bayonne. I will have a day post, followed by a wrap up and "if I had to do this all over again" section.

Edited by TwoTimer81

On our last full day on the ship, it was a light, mostly sober feeling about the ship. There were multiple parties tonight, including one in 270 that included much of the technology of the space. We had a full meal in Michael's Pub and dinner in the Windjammer. Tomorrow (day 13) will be a review after I get home (90 min drive from the pier).

Hits:

Michael's Genuine Pub - Now that my wife tried the burger, she indeed agreed with me that it was the best on the ship, better than Jamie's, Johnny Rockets (which we didn't try but we did notice never a line much less anyone at all ordering anything there) and the WJ. The wings were good as usual, a slight quibble that there was only one first portion, the rest were second wing portions - in two orders. The fries were gobbled up as usual. I even threw in some sliders for kicks, which were good but light on the actual amount of pulled pork. The price for two was less than a complete meal for one at Izumi right above it, which we were considering again (for sushi, not the overpriced, small portion entrees and apps).

Windjammer - I actually tried the made to order pasta (even though I can't have a heavy wheat meal) and it probably was as good as Jamie's (and free). They do use EVOO to prepare your meal there.

RED - The 270 has unique nightclub experience tonight, and it was great. Enough said, get on the ship (or Quantum/Ovation) and experience it for yourself.

Misses:

Windjammer - It closed at 9 PM which is a little earlier than I thought. They roped off right behind me when I was waiting for my pasta and almost walked into it and tripped. They also couldn't keep the chocolate chip cookies in stock all cruise long, and kept making it and other varieties in equal quantities (one would suggest if you see one thing constantly selling out that you would dedicate more time and resources to keeping it stocked).

Photo Gallery - The large Samsung screens were much worse than the smaller screens for viewing photos, and the process of buying a package was not intuitive. You have to buy a package (with the included USB) then go back afterwards and add which photos you want to be put into your package, instead of the other way around. Not the way we thought of putting photos into favorites, then looking for a package to buy. Keep this in mind, as the packages range from 8 for $100, 25 for $200 and the entire suite for $300. You won't make the latter two packages unless you sit with a professional photographer on the ship.

Ok, I decided to include what occurred overnight on the last day of the cruise on into disembarkation.

Hits:

RED - The 270 specific party was indeed a blast. While Abe (cruise director) implored people to participate, most just took a seat to better view the dances and aerial acts that were being performed alongside the dance floor. The worst part was the DJ, he was mediocre, but he wasn't bad enough to make this a miss.

Silent Party - All the silent parties on the ship were unique and were among the most attended club events featuring some top 40 music (it obviously can't compete with parties containing mostly music from a previous era well represented on the ship). Two DJs play simultaneously over comfortable headsets given out with two radio channels. It was fun seeing which DJ/song was doing better at any given time. I missed the ones earlier in the cruise and I regret it now. The crew takes part in this party as well.

Disembarking - Unless you have mobility or flight connection issues, this is the quickest and probably the best way to leave the ship. Grab an early danish and coffee from the Café Promenade, and haul tail off the ship as soon as it's ready around 6:30. Leaving any later and you'll find yourself in the middle of the NYC rush hour if its a weekday. After 7, you're better off leaving after 9. Even with picking up photos, we were off at 6:45 and in our car before 7. Simply tap the set n' sail and off you go into the terminal. No lines at customs, either.

Misses:

Photo Gallery - With all the parties going on the last night (and RC trying to get that last alcohol sale in), you think this would stay open late for those still having to pick up photos. Nope. It shut down at 11 PM, after telling us our photos ordered the previous morning will be ready after 10 (a one hour window). Worse yet, they took the network down at midnight so I couldn't download them to my laptop. I had to wait until nearly 7 AM to pick them up, and a line was forming with those with a similar issue.

That wraps up our long 12 day Southern Caribbean. I'll probably do it again with the port swap next year or revisit Bermuda on this ship. A wrap up will follow shortly.

I'll take you on a quick tour around the ship once again... I'll leave out the ports as those are itinerary dependent.

Our room:

Balcony Staterooms - Our 9148 was decent, a bit forward for my tastes even though the site says its mid-ship. Its forward of mid-ship on the port side. Upon arrival at Puerto Rico you will be on the side of El Morro when you sail by. You can enjoy this from your stateroom balcony instead of being with the throngs on deck. The port side gets sunrises when sailing south, sunsets when sailing back. The mattress was firm, just ask your stateroom attendant to put the heavy comforter that will be stored under your bed on top of the mattress pad to make the bed plush with some firm undertones, a near-perfect sleep environment save the typical gap in the middle when you have two twins pushed together. The pillows were of garden variety and it took awhile getting used to them, feel free to bring your own if you have space for regular sized pillows. Pure white will blend in nicely. Don't touch the minibar items, they are not a part of any drink package. You may remove them from the fridge to store your own wine (two bottles of 750ml per stateroom of course). Leave a note to the bar staff saying you did so. I have no comment on suites or insides.

The food roundup:

Drink packages - We didn't buy any packages, and to get around the inflated bottled water price issue, simply bring your (insulated and empty) thermos with you onto the ship and refill it. Water and ice is free 24/7 at Johnny Rockets (my preferred location) and the Café Promenade (not recommended). They wall off the Windjammer at night. We found the water perfectly drinkable, and even better than the tap at home, on par with our filtered water at home.

Windjammer - We found the food in the WJ be just fine overall, and more convenient than the MDRs. The drawback is when you have MDR reservations, the system will block you from making reservations for the early show (assuming you're still dining at that time). It is quieter towards the back if you can get there before they wall it off for crew members. You can get in and out of the WJ and on with your day in 30-45 minutes, the approx. amount of time it will take you to get an app in the MDR. While I didn't eat in the MDRs at all to compare food quality, what I've heard all cruise long has been mostly poor and mediocre food down there with very few standouts, even though service has improved. Its breakfast is more varied than the Solarium Bistro (see below), however its meat and potatoes options at that time look utterly gross. For that, head over to the Bistro for better looking breakfast. I ate cereal there mostly and tried a fruit piece or two.

MDR's - Generally, the overall feeling around those I spoke to on the ship felt service is better than what was said in forums here. Abe of course would highlight whoever wrote in about their servers down there. Food quality and taste however, tells a different story. You probably will be better off with the WJ, with full flexibility with your evening schedule and faster (self) service.

Solarium Bistro - The Devinly Decadence replacement doesn't disappoint (much). Its now a hybrid WJ/MDR where you have a buffet available for apps and dessert, and they serve you your entrée. Unfortunately, the presentation of said entrée is bland, and to get it in timely fashion you have to snag early reservations (before 6:30). Otherwise service bogs down and the understaffing becomes apparent. This is a solid option if you like to eat early, and you're in the forward part of the ship. It's breakfast and lunch items (even though identical to what's found in the WJ) are prepared better (sometimes significantly so) and with more thought than in the WJ, although its variety is severely limited due to space. They only have two sections. The food is also replaced faster than its aft counterpart. If you like fruit and yogurt for your mornings, the WJ is for you, but if you're a meat/potatoes/eggs breakfast person, the Bistro wins hands down.

Johnny Rockets - The best use for JR is to refill your water bottle discretely! I didn't eat here, and it looked like nobody else did either!

Coastal Kitchen - My next cruise I'll go into a suite to try this :D

Izumi - There's no cover charge, and its ala carte. The service was very poor (the server never checked on us except at the end to give us the bill, and didn't even ask how everything was), and its entrée items were even poorer. I have battle scars with that noddle soup dish that resembled baby food. The appetizers were good, but priced poorly (half the number of chicken wings as the pub below it, but nearly double the price). Five pork gyoza dumplings for $9? I can get 6 better tasting ones for 4.50 on land. It was so bad here this time we didn't even go back for sushi, which didn't even have a brown rice option (its 2016 now people look for little things like that). My wife noted the lack of purchasing a single glass of sake (of any temperature... REALLY?), buying a bottle was the only option. Stay away from here, far away, unless you're a big sushi fan, than eat sushi only (which was only slightly overpriced).

Wonderland - This is the flagship restaurant for Quantum class ships, putting Chops in its rearview. The best dining service, taste and presentation can be found here, as well as the most amount of food for your cover charge bucks. The $45 is really worth it, and even more so if you snag that 30% discount usually offered on day 1. The only bugaboo is you get virtually the entire menu, the only variety is your main protein (three seafood items vs three meat items). I can't eat seafood so we couldn't return, but you shouldn't return either, as you already know the rest of the "story". Eat here but do it only once.

Chops Grille - The service here was excellent, but the food is only ok. My dry aged steak was overcooked, and I had to ask for the same bread served at Chef's Table. The sides and apps were mediocre, with potatoes that looked like it came out of a box and unseasoned spinach. Save your dinner money, and wait for them to offer a $30 brunch/lunch on a sea day (with unlimited champagne/mimosas, they will give you a mimosa unless you ask specifically for champagne only). Nearly the same menu, service doesn't drop off, its not crowded at all, and they hit the temperature on my steak the second time around. An excellent deal in this case. Wait for a discounted brunch to eat here, and DO NOT pay for the dry aged steaks. Save your money for Peter Luger.

Chef's Table - This, along with Wonderland, its the must do foodie experience on the ship. Five wines (unlimited pours) and six courses for $90? Best deal for a complete adult meal on the ship. Do it once, as its only one menu (similar to Wonderland). Plan to miss all entertainment the night you do this, as it takes nearly three hours. But PLEASE, don't be put off by the $180 per couple. Obviously, if you don't drink wine, check with the server or manager. But it will be the best steak on the ship, period, and it sits comfortably in the top three in my life. Once again, do this once.

Café 270 - Open for breakfast and lunch, the menu is different than what can be found upstairs. Not sure if its better, but different. Its worth a try early on in your vacation to see if you like it better than what's in its main competition (WJ/Solarium Bistro).

Jamie's Italian - Perfectly prepared but bland pasta, a plank you can assemble yourself up in the WJ, and a burger with fries that's bested by the one in the pub kind of sums this up. Its $30 dinner price point is horrific, and we did the $20 lunch and found out later that money was better placed into the pub/WJ. Even some of the pasta dishes can be made for free up in the WJ if you get one of their better cooks. Stay away from here, you're not missing out on anything.

Sorrento's - Bad pizza by NYC standards, but mediocre to ok by chain store standards, very similar to Papa Johns. Its operational hours (open late) is its standout.

Michael's Genuine Pub - The best a la carte eatery on the ship, and the best bang for your buck after eating at Wonderland and Chef's Table. The best burger on the ship hands down, with the best fries on the ship hands down (don't forget to ask for secret sauce to dip them in) and consistently so. It's also the least advertised venue on the ship, and there's a discounted entrée (its usually the burger for $10, but bangers and mash and fish and chips also appeared as the deal of the day) daily if you swing by or look in your compass. The service is reasonably quick being that everything is made to order, and it was empty nearly all cruise long. Avoid the salty deviled eggs, however. Abuse your OBC here, and repeat.

Sea Plex Doghouse - One guy working this hot dog stand, its decent if you come when it's not busy, otherwise your experience will be tainted somewhat. Still looking for that advertised German mustard, though.

- Note that maple syrup was found in the Solarium Bistro the first two days of the trip and never again after that. I love maple syrup in oatmeal. Also, no brown rice anywhere on the ship for those a bit more health conscious and low-gluten (by force) like me. While dedicated gluten free options are available, they looked bad and probably tasted worse. Stick with items that are naturally gluten free (like potatoes and meats, and of course watch out for the sauces but I don't have Celiac's so I was ok with sauces).

Entertainment:

Silent Party - The best nightclub environment on the ship. Two DJ's simultaneously play hits, and you switch back and forth on your personal headphones (provided by the ship) between them.

Spectra's Cabaret - The full beauty of 270 is on display here, and is a must see.

The Gift - I didn't see this, and nothing's changed from the reviews noted earlier, so go by those.

RED - Probably overrated as a nightclub, most people just watched from seats and awaited whatever aerial or dance shows the crew would put on around the dance floor. The room really started jumping for the silent party following it.

Ifly - I flew. Had to wait until day 10 (earlier sessions were already booked) but I did fly. Try to do it early on (first 7 days) than if you like it, do it again as a walkup. Must be physically fit (no pain anywhere or artificial anything in your body) to enjoy this.

North Star - This is best when done at sunset leaving from a port. Do your research, you will not get a better view at any other time on the ship, so take natural occurrences into account.

That's a wrap. I like the ship, and will love it now that I can see how I can balance my vacation dollars accordingly. It is the best ship sailing out of the NYC area, and even the captain admitted its the most stable ship he has ever sailed with all the new technology onboard.

Some hits If I had to do this all over again:

- Eat at Wonderland the first night.

- Eat at Chef's Table mid-cruise so I have more than two couples to chat with.

- Wait for a sea day brunch than splurge at Chops.

- Avoid the MDRs at all costs, a big waste of time for mediocre food. I would use the WJ all the rest of the days with some early Solarium Bistro dinners thrown in. Then I can book early shows instead of late ones.

- Use the rest of my dining dollars in the Pub and for alcohol.

- Book Ifly for the first half of the cruise.

- Use North Star at sunset (its not open for sunrise).

Edited by TwoTimer81

- Avoid the MDRs at all costs, a big waste of time for mediocre food. I would use the WJ all the rest of the days with some early Solarium Bistro dinners thrown in. Then I can book early shows instead of late ones.

Thank you for your detailed review, very helpful.

I am confused on the above though. You mentioned you didn't dine in the included restaurants, if you didn't how can you say it was a waste of time with mediocre food. Are you just going by hearsay and other reviews? Thanks

Wondering if you can tell me how many times the $30.00 fill up laundry bag was offered on this 12 night sailing?

Thanks! :D

We found the plastic laundry bag and form for the $30 special in one of our closets. Our cabin attendant said to use it whenever we wanted and he would provide another bag and form if needed. Ask your cabin attendant for these if there isn't one in your cabin. We never did see this special advertised in the Cruise Compass daily bulletin.

Edited by robtulipe

One of the best burgers I ever had was the Wisconsin Cheese Burger on the lunch menu in the American Icon Grill on Anthem which is complimentary. It had a large and thick, perhaps 8 ozs, lean mince beef patty and soft bun with melted Swiss type cheese.

Edited by robtulipe

Chris,

Loved your posts. As a confessed foodie you clearly enjoyed the best that Anthem had to offer, but I hate to see your sea pass bill. Dining charges alone must have been somewhere around $1,500. Given the inconsistency in food quality and service you experienced might Crystal have actually provided a better value?

Thanks to you dw and I will be sure try Wonderland and maybe Chefs table when we're aboard in June. Chefs table at $180/couple actually looks like a bargain compared to the $275 we recently paid on the Celebrity Infinity. To compensate for this though I'll get all my burgers at the grill, and maybe bring my own maple syrup.