Out of interest - Do Silversea ever give free upgrades?

les37b

You pays your money, you gets what you pay for - well thats the way the story normally goes.

Got me wondering if Silversea ever give its customers something to bring a smile to their face and a free unexpected gift of an upgrade when space permits?

The trip I'm on in August is bound to be sold out, so dont expect thats likely to happen for us (even if it is my wifes 50th birthdday and our 20th Wedding anniversary whilst on board).

Anyone ever had a pleasant silversea surprise?

You pays your money, you gets what you pay for - well thats the way the story normally goes.

Got me wondering if Silversea ever give its customers something to bring a smile to their face and a free unexpected gift of an upgrade when space permits?

The trip I'm on in August is bound to be sold out, so dont expect thats likely to happen for us (even if it is my wifes 50th birthdday and our 20th Wedding anniversary whilst on board).

It does happen, but its more likely if you hit a milestone like 250 or 350 days, birthdays and anniversaries are most unlikely.

It does happen, but its more likely if you hit a milestone like 250 or 350 days, birthdays and anniversaries are most unlikely.

Crikey thats a lot of cruises!

It does happen. Normally on your first or second cruise.

One couple on our November cruise to the Amazon was given a gratis upgrade to a Royal Suite.

Well my wife is on her first and I'm on my second. And I'll tell her to bring her tiara! lol

My only caveat, in the form of experience on our last cruise, is that there were a couple of Silver Suites empty on our Spirit cruise in June and they stayed empty for our 9-day cruise. We were in a mid ships veranda cabin and I can't say they beat down the door making offers or asking if we'd like to move. It was actually this situation that caused an up sell and upgrade policy discussion with a senior staff member. She said if we'd asked about moving the offer would have been for the full fare difference. We've only been cruising on Silversea for four year, five cruises in total, so we're still relatively newbies to Silversea but my impression is that Silversea doesn't generally do discounted up sells or free upgrades. Supposedly this was Silversea's policy so as to not offend other passengers who may have paid full fare for a specific cabin category. The nice thing about it being the line's "general" policy is that it leaves them wiggle room to move or upgrade passengers as specific circumstances dictate.

My only caveat, in the form of experience on our last cruise, is that there were a couple of Silver Suites empty on our Spirit cruise in June and they stayed empty for our 9-day cruise. We were in a mid ships veranda cabin and I can't say they beat down the door making offers or asking if we'd like to move. It was actually this situation that caused an up sell and upgrade policy discussion with a senior staff member. She said if we'd asked about moving the offer would have been for the full fare difference. We've only been cruising on Silversea for four year, five cruises in total, so we're still relatively newbies to Silversea but my impression is that Silversea doesn't generally do discounted up sells or free upgrades. Supposedly this was Silversea's policy so as to not offend other passengers who may have paid full fare for a specific cabin category. The nice thing about it being the line's "general" policy is that it leaves them wiggle room to move or upgrade passengers as specific circumstances dictate.

Yes, not wanting to upset other passengers does have its merits, though it wouldn't upset me if we got one or heard someone else had. Friends of mine did get an upgrade to the owners suite - which they regretted as there was a burst pipe or something and their room was flooded.

Yes, not wanting to upset other passengers does have its merits, though it wouldn't upset me if we got one or heard someone else had. Friends of mine did get an upgrade to the owners suite - which they regretted as there was a burst pipe or something and their room was flooded.

Personally I don't care what cabin category my fellow passengers are in or how they got there. I do know, or at least get the impression, that some folks on the larger market lines get a bit miffed when they book early and then hear about folks getting free upgrades or heavily discounted up sells to the same category they paid full fare for.

Personally I don't care what cabin category my fellow passengers are in or how they got there. I do know, or at least get the impression, that some folks on the larger market lines get a bit miffed when they book early and then hear about folks getting free upgrades or heavily discounted up sells to the same category they paid full fare for.

Agreed and I can understand why.

Both trips I've booked for this year were booked over a year in advance. I don't think there are many places left on the SilverWind Trip, but I fully expect if that remains, they will end up on vacationtogo.com with a free upgrade and onboard spend. The downside of course is your airfair will probably be more expensive.

I'm unsure how the Vista trip will go on this front - I expect it will end heavily discounted. I'll be watching to see. Not to get bitter about it - but to make reference for new trips. If you cant beat them - join them....

Agreed and I can understand why.

Both trips I've booked for this year were booked over a year in advance. I don't think there are many places left on the SilverWind Trip, but I fully expect if that remains, they will end up on vacationtogo.com with a free upgrade and onboard spend. The downside of course is your airfair will probably be more expensive.

I'm unsure how the Vista trip will go on this front - I expect it will end heavily discounted. I'll be watching to see. Not to get bitter about it - but to make reference for new trips. If you cant beat them - join them....

Actually I don't think Silversea ever dumps extra cabins to a reseller. In fact, with their Silversea Fare Guarantee Program they'd probably get a lot of negative feedback if they started discounting unfilled cabins and it got out to their booked passengers. I know in our now five years with them they've been very good about honoring several incentives from on-board credits to included airfare credits to actual fare reductions. Other lines, like those under the Carnival Corp umbrella, are a completely different story and we've been "burnt" a couple of times.....one of the reasons we're Silversea cruisers now.

Actually I don't think Silversea ever dumps extra cabins to a reseller. In fact, with their Silversea Fare Guarantee Program they'd probably get a lot of negative feedback if they started discounting unfilled cabins and it got out to their booked passengers. I know in our now five years with them they've been very good about honoring several incentives from on-board credits to included airfare credits to actual fare reductions. Other lines, like those under the Carnival Corp umbrella, are a completely different story and we've been "burnt" a couple of times.....one of the reasons we're Silversea cruisers now.

To quote an email from a vacationtogo.com promotion.....

"Today, I'm happy to start with this offer for our customers who are past passengers of Silversea: On select Silversea sailings, choose between a two-category cabin upgrade or a shipboard credit of up to $1,500 per stateroom"

Agreed you dont seem to see % discounted prices though.

Mind you - when you see discounts of up to 82% on some cruises, I think I'd be miffed if my cabin next door neighbour paid only 18% of what I had! lol

Edited by les37b

To quote an email from a vacationtogo.com promotion.....

"Today, I'm happy to start with this offer for our customers who are past passengers of Silversea: On select Silversea sailings, choose between a two-category cabin upgrade or a shipboard credit of up to $1,500 per stateroom"

Agreed you dont seem to see discounted prices.... but thats a discount I dont think was offered by silversea. (I looked when the email came through.)

Mind you - when you see discounts of up to 82% on some cruises, I think I'd be miffed if my cabin next door neighbour paid only 18% of what I had! lol

I got a similar email--but it was direct from Silversea. So this offer is not exclusive to *************.

I was going to make the same point that that particular sale incentive actually originated with Siversea and wasn't an offer that was specific to one travel agency. In fact, we got lucky and our March 18 Wind cruise was on the list. I contacted our discount TA and they quickly got us the offered OBC. Again that seems in line with Silversea's fare guarantee program. It probably didn't hurt us that the offer came out before final payment so we were prepared to leverage that but it never came up as Silversea quickly honored it.

Edited by Randyk47

I was going to make the same point that that particular sale incentive actually originated with Siversea and wasn't an offer that was specific to one travel agency. In fact, we got lucky and our March 18 Wind cruise was on the list. I contacted our discount TA and they quickly got us the offered OBC. Again that seems in line with Silver sea's fare guarantee program. It probably didn't hurt us that the offer came out before final payment so we were prepared to leverage that but it never came up as Silversea quickly honored it.

I agree, that was excellent CS.

I agree, that was excellent CS.

Though not everybody has had the same customer service I've got to say Silversea has always been great. Our first cruise in 2012 with them went through numerous fare reductions and incentives and Silversea honored every one of them with any issues. In sequence there was a 5% reduction, then free air, then an OBC, and finally another 5% reduction and we got them all. Considering we won a 15% fare reduction at a local agency's cruise fair to start with I think we eventually saved like 35% off what was already a sale. As it was the Wind sailed, a 14-day Med cruise from Barcelona to Istanbul, at 80% occupancy so even all the incentives didn't fill the cruise. Sure spoiled us though.

Though I can't mention them by name here I'll also have to say even our discount TA's service has been great. Despite all the negatives I've read or heard about basically Internet based TAs our TA has been responsive and effective.

Edited by Randyk47

Though not everybody has had the same customer service I've got to say Silversea has always been great. Our first cruise in 2012 with them went through numerous fare reductions and incentives and Silversea honored every one of them with any issues. In sequence there was a 5% reduction, then free air, then an OBC, and finally another 5% reduction and we got them all. Considering we won a 15% fare reduction at a local agency's cruise fair to start with I think we eventually saved like 35% off what was already a sale. As it was the Wind sailed, a 14-day Med cruise from Barcelona to Istanbul, at 80% occupancy so even all the incentives didn't fill the cruise. Sure spoiled us though.

Though I can't mention them by name here I'll also have to say even our discount TA's service has been great. Despite all the negatives I've read or heard our TA has been responsive and effective.

Haha.... I bet they did!

Actually they did OK with me when I booked this trip. I got the cruise only quote, but I had to wait for the fly cruise figure. I phoned them back the next day as I'd not heard back. I had also been on dry land about 3 days from a SS trip and said after they told me I could have earned another 10% discount (or maybe it was 5% - cant completely remember). I was told that its a strict booking condition - onboard only - but he said he would be prepared to offer me $250 onboard spend. I said OK, then he hit me with the news that their head office had increased the price overnight.

Obviously I was none too impressed with that and he went away and came back saying he could increase the onboard spend to $350. I'd rather have the cash (I dont think I spent a penny on the cloud)... but agreed provided I could be guaranteed a ship visit to the cloud in 3 weeks time, so it was held while I waited. I didnt hear anything, so chased guest relations and mentioned not being impressed with the increase. It was a chase up more than a moan. They got back to me eventually and agreed to honour the quote I originally got. They also allowed me to keep the onboard $350 spend, so a result. (And I got to get onboard the Cloud again at Tower Bridge, tendering over from the Tower, which is great!

I will be pretty much DIYing my trips - so not really sure what to spend that money on..... apart from a La Champagne visit, I'm stumped.

Edited by les37b

I will be pretty much DIYing my trips - so not really sure what to spend that money on..... apart from a La Champagne visit, I'm stumped.

After four years of Med cruises on Silversea we're taking a break and doing the Caribbean. We're cruising with friends and I've just about worn them out with what they call "Randy's Antiquities Death March". Chewing up OBCs in the Med was no issue so they begged for a vacation this year. I initially thought we'd have trouble in the Caribbean with the very nice and large OBC but the ladies have quickly deflated that with spa appointments. :D The guys might get a cigar or two and maybe a couple bottles of upgraded wine. :o

Edited by Randyk47

Unlike you, who is clearly super nice, I am one of the silent majority who pretend not to be bothered but get a little miffed when someone else get's upgraded and the magic finger doesn't point at me. It doesn't mean I begrudge the lucky bunnies but I know I have a stronger case and I seeth with irritation whilst pretending not to. You may be suprised to hear this but a lot of people are irritated when others are upgraded but they are not. :eek:;):)

I think many switched on orgnaisatios realise that free upgrades should be avoided whether for flights or cruises or to a lessor degree hotels and should be on a publicly announced loyalty qualifaction basis or not at all. Otherwise it does actually hack off more people than it delights and also compromises revenue as people buy lower in the hope.

Just my contentious and irritating contribution.

Jeff

Just my contentious and irritating contribution

I've no doubt people are miffed when someone gets an upgrade and think there is a lot to what you're views are in respect of loyalty and rewards. And I'm very sure companies take this onboard with their policies. I've personally never had a bump on a flight... But my thoughts when hearing of instances it happens is "lucky you".

I think I probably take the reverse viewpoint in some respect..... I would be thinking "maybe next time", knowing that magic finger may well point at me and not no one at all.

Anyway, I think we've deviated a little from the question which was simply "do they give free upgrades"? And the answer does appear to be yes, but not very often and that's so they don't upset their other not so lucky passengers.

Anyway, I think we've deviated a little from the question which was simply "do they give free upgrades"? And the answer does appear to be yes, but not very often and that's so they don't upset their other not so lucky passengers.

It really comes down to what I call managed expectations and pretty much knowing you'll sail in the cabin you booked. It appears there are occasions where Silversea upgrades passengers but as noted it doesn't seem to be the line's norm. I much prefer Silversea's approach versus the larger mass market lines with their up sells, upgrades, and the guarantee cabin "lotto" game.

Back on topic. It is my understanding that the GRM has some leeway on the full fare difference, and can discount by up to 15%. However, this is not common knowledge. Is there anyone out there who has managed this?

Back on topic. It is my understanding that the GRM has some leeway on the full fare difference, and can discount by up to 15%. However, this is not common knowledge. Is there anyone out there who has managed this?

I too, at least out of curiosity, would like to know. In our limited experience the only two moves on Silversea I absolutely know about came about because of a plumbing issue in a cabin and a couple who were able to get moved out of one of the owner's suite adjoining cabins. As far as I know in both cases the couples were moved to comparable cabins and not upgraded per se. Obviously the plumbing problem was not passenger initiated so even if the move resulted in a higher category cabin charging the passenger for it is really not an option. I don't think the second couple paid for their requested move but they very well may have.

Edited by Randyk47

• 2 months later...

Agree that this practice (thanks les37b for pointing out this practice) of discounting Silversea fares (those that are under the "Silver Fare Guarantee) to an outside wholesale cruise outfit is disingenuous. Jeff has it right above--"Silversea (with this practice) is circumventing their own guarantee. Altho, two weeks ago we canceled our Silver Galapagos Sept 3th sailing--it was booked at $6950 suite fare. On the wholesale cruise outfit site it is now 30% discounted at $4865. If you check most cruise regions (Med, Asia, NZ/Aus, Caribbean, Panama Canal) there are sailings at up to 50% discounts while the SS site has them at full price.

Edited by WesW

Just noticed that SS have now gone for the Regent all inclusive model and hiked prices for a large number of its voyages. (On the UK site not sure of the US site)

Personally that wont be worth the premium - I'd always book my flights to suit (for my next trip, that saved me a chunk by DIY). Its nice to have "free excursions" and I wouldn't knock that apart from the fact you've already paid for them.

For some, this model may work out cost effective, but in making similar trip / price comparisons, its a huge increase premium and one I wont be interested in.

Anyone put off / pleased about that development?