Port or Starboard

british betty

My thinking is that you will be sailing west, so port side will be facing south.

In the northern hemisphere, the sun will always be south of overhead unless you will be below the Tropic of Cancer (you will not be), so port will be the sunny side.

:o Does anyone know if any one side of the ship is better for sun on a balcony when sailing from Istanbul to Barcelona in September.

Thanks if you can help :o

We did that cruise last year 2015 was on Port side great for all ports as well.

Great hotel in Istanbul is http://www.karakoyporthotel.com/index.html you can almost touch the ship. Great city to explore.

John

:o Does anyone know if any one side of the ship is better for sun on a balcony when sailing from Istanbul to Barcelona in September.

Hi,

In morning starboard would be best but afternoon then it will be port, that is if you are travelling due west and deviation form this 270 degree course will alter where the sun hits the ship.

David

Hi,

In morning starboard would be best but afternoon then it will be port, that is if you are travelling due west and deviation form this 270 degree course will alter where the sun hits the ship.

David

That's a bit over technical for me I'm afraid. :o

I know we will be sailing westwards, but also going northwards up the Adriatic, then back south and round the boot of Italy.

Bit of a mix really, but all knowledge and advice is sincerely appreciated.

Thank you

Also note that there will be port days which will most likely mean that the ship will cruise in the dark and tie up during the day. Where the ship is docked will make a difference in sunlight to a veranda. Only sea days should make a real impact on consistent sun.

Not sure if this plays into your decision-making process or not, but be aware that some port side exterior areas are designted as "smoking areas". It could impact your enjoyment of your balcony if you are on that side and smoke bothers you.

Edited by sippican