Hubby can't go with me, what to do now??

Shilee11

I asked about transferring the booking for him to another person. That seems to be an easy process but might cost you some deposit money depending on how the booking was done.

Yeah it sucks, but you might be able to recoup some cash assuming the new person is willing. Bring a girlfriend and rant about the DH.

I personally would not sail without my husband...but I also wouldn't be without insurance so cancelling would be an option. Good luck and hopefully somehow he'll get the vacay approved and y'all can laugh about this on the Lido!

I do it all the time and actually it's more relaxing without him. He gets bored easily and doesn't share my enthusiasm for naps :D

Get him to show them at work that he has a paid in full non refundable vacation and maybe they can work with him.

He should be a no show at the pier, you can tell them anything you want like he went back to car to get something, he's outside having a smoke, he is coming to check in later etc. If you tell them in advance that he is not coming they will cancel him and charge YOU the single supplement. Since you don't have insurance no show is the best way.

I would try this option. My job is good about trying to deny vacations...Sad part is when its denied we just go to the GM and she always caves in and grants the request?!?

I personally would not sail without my husband...but I also wouldn't be without insurance so cancelling would be an option. Good luck and hopefully somehow he'll get the vacay approved and y'all can laugh about this on the Lido!

I agree! The first thing I purchase is trip insurance. DH was in the Navy and he enjoys cruising. I'm always looking for new places to go and it doesn't really matter to him as long as we're on a ship. I would never book a cruise on an assumption though.

He works at one if the big 3's he is just a number, I'm not gonna worry about it anymore, I'm going and that's that! I'll have fun with my family, just us girls [emoji3]

Agree. I wouldn't worry about it at all. It is what it is. Have a great time on the cruise.

I believe you said he works at a big company. If I am reading between the lines, he is just a number, so that indicates he can easily be missed for a week w/o hardship to the company.

Therefore, go to HR, talk to them how the boss will not approve vacation requests and that you have a family vacation without refundable tickets. Many times, they will investigate, and review. Everyone has a boss. If this is a normal issue, than go up a ladder.

Worst case just go on the trip, call in sick.

I was denied my honeymoon, with multiple requests. I just told them I will be back in a week. Risky, but it works. Cost money to replace a person.

In case this wasn't a joke, I can't disagree more strongly with this. If someone who worked for me went on a cruise and called in sick, and I found out about it, they would be fired. That simple.

I believe you said he works at a big company. If I am reading between the lines, he is just a number, so that indicates he can easily be missed for a week w/o hardship to the company.

Therefore, go to HR, talk to them how the boss will not approve vacation requests and that you have a family vacation without refundable tickets. Many times, they will investigate, and review. Everyone has a boss. If this is a normal issue, than go up a ladder.

I was denied my honeymoon, with multiple requests. I just told them I will be back in a week. Risky, but it works. Cost money to replace a person.

When I was young, one of the sr guys in the company (which I retired from 40 yrs later) told me not to ask for the time for a big vacation. Told me to say I will not be there that week. Never had a problem

Your husband should definitely go and speak to someone in charge and explain that his airline and cruise tickets are non-refundable but he should not just call in sick or be a no show at work! Even though it costs money to replace somebody, as a person who has been an employer, if he no showed while in my employ, I would replace his ass about one second after I found out how little regard he had for the workplace. Unless of course your husband does not want his job in which case no showing / calling in sick is an option!

Ya I figured we wouldn't have much luck with the flights, he put his vacation in at the beginning of Nov, he didn't hear anything so he figured there was no problem, yesterday they told him it was denied!! What do I say to Carnival? He didn't get on the plane?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Why would they even care you are now paying double just like the singles do. Don't worry just enjoy your cruise.

Ya I figured we wouldn't have much luck with the flights, he put his vacation in at the beginning of Nov, he didn't hear anything so he figured there was no problem, yesterday they told him it was denied!! What do I say to Carnival? He didn't get on the plane?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I concur with the recommendations to be a no show... AT WORK!

Seriously if it they sit on vacation requests for two months, he ought to take it to HR.

If he's a valued employee, they will figure it out. If he's not he should look elsewhere in this economy.

There's been some good advice in this thread. Something that is worth looking into is to see if your credit card that you used to pay for the cruise offers any automatic travel protection. Some do, some don't.

For example, I know many Citibank cards do offer a pretty decent amount of (free) travel protection, so long as you use their card to pay for the entire cost of the trip. While "couldn't get the time off" isn't specifically listed for the Citibank coverage, "personal matters" including loss of job and similar are listed. I realize that the chances are slim, but it's at least worth looking into to see if you might have coverage from your credit card. This coverage could also potentially apply to the cost of his airfare as well.

As was also mentioned, contact the airline prior to the flight to cancel his ticket. Even if it's a non-refundable ticket, you generally can get some credit for a future flight by cancelling it prior to take-off. Probably wait until closer to the date just in case something miraculous happens and he's able to take the time off after all.

Finally, it's worth repeating, since you have nothing you can gain from cancelling with Carnival, don't tell them he isn't coming -- as others suggested, at check-in just tell them he's out smoking or something and will be along shortly, otherwise you're likely to get stuck paying more with the single supplement fee.

I am the approver of leave at my job for about 200 officers. I've had a few occasions where a person books a cruise prior to getting approval. My favorite thing is when then try and use it as justification as to why they should be granted the leave. I am proud to say (as a fellow cruiser), that I have never had to be the bad guy that checked the disapproved box that cost someone their cruise.

My suggestion is for your hubby to be the squeaky wheel that may eventually get the grease. If he can show supporting documentation that he has booked and paid for the cruise, they may reconsider or try and work something else out. If all else fails, he should be able to seek out a higher authority and plead his case some more. In other words, don't give up so easily. Good luck!

Same thing with us. We were supposed to go on a rccl cruise spring break this year. Hubby asked in August about getting off. They are still deciding. I cancelled at las possible time this week before final payment was due. Really sucks

To all of those who don't think trip insurance is important and that nothing will ever happen to you or others traveling with you, spending an additional $200 to get the insurance is better than losing all of your money. How often do we read about these kinds of scenarios here at CC?

The other side to that is, how many people make a cruise/airfare reservation before knowing everything is set? Unless you got money, not many would do that.

Your husband should definitely go and speak to someone in charge and explain that his airline and cruise tickets are non-refundable but he should not just call in sick or be a no show at work! Even though it costs money to replace somebody, as a person who has been an employer, if he no showed while in my employ, I would replace his ass about one second after I found out how little regard he had for the workplace. Unless of course your husband does not want his job in which case no showing / calling in sick is an option!

I'm reading between the lines. First to point out, this is a big company, not a small company and the husband is just a number, but not a "must have to be present employee or everything falls apart". So everyone at some point in time has a "boss" who loves to control every aspect, and uses employees as pawns. I'm assuming this is the case. To ignore or put off approval for a vacation is a sign of weakness on the boss, and is also a sign that he/she is insecure in their own job so that they must be that controlling person.

The second point is that a "person" works always for the benefit of themselves. The job provides security, happiness, fullfillment and money. The "big" company, is not human, and often times, is just churning out a product. They (company) has no meaningful benefit that is measurable outside of the fact that the job is getting done.

This is just a case of the boss vs the employee. The boss making it hard for the employees and the expectation of this type of boss is that the employee will cowl under the desk. It's a poor way to manage.

My suggestion is simply and always take charge of the situation. It's simply to stand up to the "bully" instead of backing down.

Sure you may not have a job after but if you are working in a big company than take it to HR. I worked for one year, with a boss like this. I started looking for a job after 5 months and was out of their after 11 months. During the last 6 months, I stood up to the "boss" every week with an issue. This person wanted to control the exact time to go on a break like an assembly line so she can make sure everyone is back. I would leave 5 minutes early, and get pulled in for a discussion. I told her I had to use the rest room, and that was not included in the break time. By the time I was finished, the break started so now I take 20 minutes. She had a fit, but I won, because she can't prevent a person from using the bathroom. HR thought it was creative and laughed.

I had two days request off. Never approved it. Called in sick instead. Wanted a note. Laughed because company policy and privacy laws prevented it. HR asked me if I was sick. I said it was private. She said ok, than you were out sick. Case closed.

It's a risk, but if the employee follows the rules, and a boss does not, than options are available in big companies. Don't be bullied.

The other side to that is, how many people make a cruise/airfare reservation before knowing everything is set? Unless you got money, not many would do that.

Guess I'm a lucky one. I've been at this job almost 30 years, and they are great in pretty much letting you take vacay whenever. I have a cruise booked for Jan 2017 and I know I'll be able to get it off, even though I can't put my request in until 3 months prior.