To Yacht Club or Not Yacht Club that is the question?

bradleyk

We have just booked the MSC Seaside for 2018 in a 2 room suite. We have never traveled in a suite and are looking forward to the experience. My question is should we pay a few hundred more and give up the suite to move to an interior yacht club?

I am very interested in any thoughts or suggestions.

Thank you

We have just booked the MSC Seaside for 2018 in a 2 room suite. We have never traveled in a suite and are looking forward to the experience. My question is should we pay a few hundred more and give up the suite to move to an interior yacht club?

Thank you

No , you are going to give up a 2 room suite for an interior in YC. No NO No !!!

Thank you

Is it a Fantastica or Aurea Suite? if it's an Aurea suite on deck 9 at the rear of the ship they look like they have fabulous balconies so I'd stay put.

I certainly wouldn't go to a YC interior, but would consider a YC deluxe suite if the difference was not too much, for the balcony, which will be smaller than the 2 room suite's balcony.

the other point would be do you want a bath tub, if so it has to be the 2 room suite and not the YC. Only the royal suites have bath tubs in the YC.(on Seaside)

Edited by Skier52

We currently have a 2 room fantastica suite for $2639 with 2 unlimited beverage packages. Or go to an interior yacht club for a little more.

Converting to GBP (£903pp) I would say that that is a very good deal , with the drinks packages (worth £180pp) thrown in, i'd stay put and save the money for other things.

I make your cost (basic cruise) ~$2100 for two or $150 pppn (taking out $250pp for the drinks) Bargain!!!!

Edited by Skier52

Thank you

I had the same dilemma. It all comes down to priorities. What will you enjoy more ... using the space and balcony of the suite or enjoying all the amenities in the Yacht Club like the private lounge and restaurant, private pool, Spa access, and elevated services. There is also the free drinks in the YC and the $150 obc per person.

For us the inside cabin in the Yacht Club won out. We don't spend that much time in the cabin and on a ship with 4000 others it was more important to have a private retreat area to escape the crowds. Also besides the Yacht Club Royal Suite the rest don't look all the great. Some are just a bit wider than the average cabin and others are simply a little longer than an average cabin but the same narrow width. I'm also not convinced that the diagram for the "suite" is what will actually be on SEASIDE. All those cabins aft on Deck 9 that MSC is classifying as an Aurea Suite look no wider than a standard cabin. They just have massive balconies. I don't really consider that a suite. So I think on SEASIDE you have to be very careful with your selection. Study the deck plan well and compare those cabin sizes with others around it.

Good luck!

We are recently returned from MSC Preziosa where we were in Yacht Cub. The experience was wonderful and worth every penny (which in our case wasn't a lot as we got an excellent deal!) A Balcony Cabin though not inside- wouldn't even consider an Inside but that is our personal preference.

Eroller ... The Aurea Suites S3 are 302sq feet on Deck 9 Aft with the long balcony and are two rooms, separate lounge and bedroom, those Forward on Deck 9 are B3 single cabin rooms look wider than the B2 Fantastica and B1 Bella, and have an expanded balcony. The Aurea suites on the Aft of the ship from 9 to 15 are slightly larger than those on 9 with the long balcony.

I suppose if they added wider cabins to the deck plan it might not fit on the page!

bradleyk ... Aurea cabins and Suites also have access to the spa along with some other perks such as the Allegrissimo drink package included and a separate sun deck and Spa products.

As others have said I guess it comes down to where you want to be on the ship, if you are happy with the crowd then keep what you have, if you want to be away from the crowd then move to the Yacht club. At the end of the day only you guys can decide what is best for you and your money.

I am still trying to decide what to do. On NCL we bought Vibe passes and enjoyed having a private area away from the crowds. Also I think having a balcony may be a must for my wife.

All of you have made great points and I really appreciate it, thank you!

Eroller ... The Aurea Suites S3 are 302sq feet on Deck 9 Aft with the long balcony and are two rooms, separate lounge and bedroom, those Forward on Deck 9 are B3 single cabin rooms look wider than the B2 Fantastica and B1 Bella, and have an expanded balcony. The Aurea suites on the Aft of the ship from 9 to 15 are slightly larger than those on 9 with the long balcony.

I suppose if they added wider cabins to the deck plan it might not fit on the page!

I guess I'm just not putting a lot of faith in the cabin diagrams and sizes right now. I think there are some errors and the reality on the ship will be different. For instance on the inside YC Suite, which surprisingly MSC is calling a suite, the diagram shows a standard inside cabin but MSC lists the size as being from 226 sq ft. Looking at the deck plan, the inside YC cabins look no larger than a standard inside except for a few of the odd shaped cabins. I'm guessing the real size is more along the standard inside size of 129 sq ft. If it's actually 226 sq feet I will be pleasantly surprised.

On MERAVIGLIA, MSC is not calling the YC insides "suites", but just a YC Interior. Their size is listed as 172 sq ft which is the same size listed for a standard outside cabin.

Also MSC lists the size of a standard balcony cabin on SEASIDE as 150 sq ft. That seems very small to me by today's standard. On MERAVIGLIA, which I know is a completely different design the standard balcony cabin is listed as 205 sq ft but the diagram for the cabin is exactly the same as SEASIDE. Anywhere from 170 to 200 sq ft is the average size of a balcony stateroom on a mass-market ship these days.

I just feel there is a lot of room for error at this point with two new ship designs and moving forward things will become more clear. I'm fine with it though, as that is part of the fun of booking a brand new ship. I'm just not putting a lot of weight on what is listed on the MSC website right now.

I can see where you are coming from with regard to sizes etc, the YC Insides apart from the odd shaped one on Deck 18 (18031) the rest do look a similar size to each other, it may be that 18031 is actually a larger size along with 18033 H and 18026 H so that may explain the larger sizes.

On Cruisedeckplans the Interior in the YC is shown as YCIN which may be something they have done themselves rather than an MSC thing, also standard B1 and B2 Balconies are shown as 172 sq feet which means more in keeping with the right size.Other Inside cabins are shown at 129 Sq feet.

Things as you say can and do change like the generated image of the Aft of Deck 8 and 9 which shows a garden along Deck 8 and standard balconies on Deck 9, that has now changed to no garden and extended balconies on Deck 9 Aft.

Edited by sidari

Things as you say can and do change like the generated image of the Aft of Deck 8 and 9 which shows a garden along Deck 8 and standard balconies on Deck 9, that has now changed to no garden and extended balconies on Deck 9 Aft.

The element of surprise! That is part of the fun of booking on a prototype new ship!!

I had the same dilemma. It all comes down to priorities. What will you enjoy more ... using the space and balcony of the suite or enjoying all the amenities in the Yacht Club like the private lounge and restaurant, private pool, Spa access, and elevated services. There is also the free drinks in the YC and the $150 obc per person.

Good luck!

$150 OBC per person? We only received the drink package for booking the YC and no OBC.

$150 OBC per person? We only received the drink package for booking the YC and no OBC.

When I booked YC the drink package wasn't offered. I think because drinks in the YC area are already included. You do have to pay for drinks elsewhere on the ship. Instead they offered a $150pp obc. I'm quite happy with that.

On Cruisedeckplans the Interior in the YC is shown as YCIN which may be something they have done themselves rather than an MSC thing, also standard B1 and B2 Balconies are shown as 172 sq feet which means more in keeping with the right size.Other Inside cabins are shown at 129 Sq feet.

FYI I had a closer look at my booking confirmation. The YIN (Yacht Club Inside) shows a cabin area of 17mq and bathroom area of 4mq.

So that would be almost 183 sq feet for the cabin and 43 sq feet for the bathroom.

So the mystery continues! LOL

When I booked YC the drink package wasn't offered. I think because drinks in the YC area are already included. You do have to pay for drinks elsewhere on the ship. Instead they offered a $150pp obc. I'm quite happy with that.

Thanks for the information. I just checked the MSC website and they are now offering $150 pp instead of the drink package. Since we already have free drinks at the YC and a fully stocked mini bar in our room, I wonder if it would be better for us to get the $300 OBC.

What do you think - drink package or $300 OBC?

FYI I had a closer look at my booking confirmation. The YIN (Yacht Club Inside) shows a cabin area of 17mq and bathroom area of 4mq.

So that would be almost 183 sq feet for the cabin and 43 sq feet for the bathroom.

So the mystery continues! LOL

To add to the mystery, here are the dimensions of our YC deluxe suite. Definitely not bigger than your room. I wonder what the door - 0.65 mt is?

Cabin Area 21.00mq − Door 0.65mt

Bathroom Area 4.00mq with shower

To add to the mystery, here are the dimensions of our YC deluxe suite. Definitely not bigger than your room. I wonder what the door - 0.65 mt is?

It means the door is 0.65 metres wide which gives an indication as to whether ride-on mobility vehicles or wheelchairs can fit through the opening.

Thanks for the information. I just checked the MSC website and they are now offering $150 pp instead of the drink package. Since we already have free drinks at the YC and a fully stocked mini bar in our room, I wonder if it would be better for us to get the $300 OBC.

I think I will see if we can get the OBC instead. We don't drink that much when away or outside the YC. They offered the drink package to those early bookers.

Depends. How much drinking do you think you will do outside the YC? $150pp will by a lot of drinks. Personally I think I will be spending most of my time in the YC so most of my drinking will be done there. Because of that I'm very happy with the obc.

The suite is bigger but not huge.

21mq = 226 sq feet

Bathroom is the same size which doesn't seem right but who knows. This would mean the diagrams on the MSC website are wrong, and that would not surprise me.

The door is 2.13 feet which is a little narrow. Average door in my house is 2.83 feet wide so a little wider. Generally cruise ship doors are more narrow.