Advice to New HAL Cruiser

RocketMan275

There are few overhead announcements and you may have to step into the hall to hear them clearly.

Just wanted to add that if your TV has a Channel showing a live feed from the bow of the ship, when announcements are made that channel will most likely go from its regular music and have the announcement heard on that channel. If I'm in the room and the TV's on, I'll have the remote to where I can flip the "previous" button for a quick switch to that channel (sometimes the channel buttons get sticky).

All the Best! ENJOY HAL!!!:)

I just like to plan. It's not my fault, the Army taught me to be a compulsive planner. I can't help it. It's called Retired Military Compulsive Planner's Disorder (RMCPD). There is no known cure although research has shown that wine can give temporary relief. We will be bringing five or six bottles aboard. (I know about corkage fees.)

Seriously, I'm retired and planning for cruises is a great way to pass the time. I do come up with lists of potential things to do but these lists are just a convenient way to suggest things we might want to do. We hardly ever do more than a few. The lists ensure that we know what are options are. We are not bound by them.

BTW, any restaurants you might suggest in San Juan?

San Juan has some great tapas places. My favorite is Toro Salao. Get outside seating if the weather warrants. We went there with a large group (12 of us) and ordered one of everything on the menu. The white sangria is excellent. We also tried the red which wasn't quite as tasty but still good.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

San Juan has some great tapas places. My favorite is Toro Salao. Get outside seating if the weather warrants. We went there with a large group (12 of us) and ordered one of everything on the menu. The white sangria is excellent. We also tried the red which wasn't quite as tasty but still good.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was able to google Toro Salao an access some reviews etc. Thanks again.

You're welcome. Another place we were go in no to try but couldn't because it was very crowded was St Germain Bistro. They have a great looking menu and get good reviews. Next time we are there we'll try that one.

X2. We just went there in December. An easy walk from where the ship docked (late afternoon, ship delayed). We sat outside and the woman who greeted and waited on us could not have been friendlier. It was a pleasant spot for watching lots of local people strolling past as it got dark.

What are our choices for lunch on embarkation day? We'll be driving straight to the port after spending the night in central florida. Should arrive around 11:30. We're in a suite if that matters.

Only 35 days from our first Holland cruise.

Nothing special for Neptune suites.

IMO, your bast choice is the Main Dining Room, if it is open. Quieter and nicer setting to start the cruise. Sometimes it is not open on embarkation day though.

Nothing special for Neptune suites.

IMO, your bast choice is the Main Dining Room, if it is open. Quieter and nicer setting to start the cruise. Sometimes it is not open on embarkation day though.

The only other choices I see are the Lido and the Dive In. Is that correct?

I expect the Lido to be rather crowded but we could take something back to the room.

BTW, we did pick up a couple of trays that will fit in our carry-on bags at Walmart.

I expect the Lido to be rather crowded but we could take something back to the room.

BTW, we did pick up a couple of trays that will fit in our carry-on bags at Walmart.

Being in a Neptune Suite, you will be one of first passengers on board at 11:30. You will have your choice of dining locations for sure. The big crunch is around 12:30 from my experience.

If you are on a Vista Class ship, there is a Taco Bar (self-service) by the indoor pool. A huge plate of nachos was our lunch on the Noordam last May in Alaska. When consumed on your verandah, you will miss MOST of the Embarkation Day dining chaos. If you choose to take nachos back to your stateroom, remember to put a layer of cheese on the bottom before the chips to prevent the chips from sliding off the plate.

There is also the Explorations Cafe where you can find free sandwiches even if you don't buy a Specialty coffee/tea.

In addition, the Neptune Lounge will have appetizers available. As a retired military person, I have trained in efficient "grazing" at appetizer locations.

Edited by Crew News

We have done that when the Lido is crowded (take back to the cabin). IMO, the Dive In is a pretty good option, especially when combined with the Taco bar adjacent, but they only have hamburgers and hot dogs (pretty good quality though).

Being in a Neptune Suite, you will be one of first passengers on board at 11:30. You will have your choice of dining locations for sure. The big crunch is around 12:30 from my experience.

If you are on a Vista Class ship, there is a Taco Bar (self-service) by the indoor pool. A huge plate of nachos was our lunch on the Noordam last May in Alaska. When consumed on your verandah, you will miss MOST of the Embarkation Day dining chaos. If you choose to take nachos back to your stateroom, remember to put a layer of cheese on the bottom before the chips to prevent the chips from sliding off the plate.

There is also the Explorations Cafe where you can find free sandwiches even if you don't buy a Specialty coffee/tea.

In addition, the Neptune Lounge will have appetizers available. As a retired military person, I have trained in efficient "grazing" at appetizer locations.

Great information. We're on Westerdam. I'm well trained in 'grazing' as well. Retired Army 1992 and worked as civil servant for many years.

We have done that when the Lido is crowded (take back to the cabin). IMO, the Dive In is a pretty good option, especially when combined with the Taco bar adjacent, but they only have hamburgers and hot dogs (pretty good quality though).

I wish you hadn't mentioned hot dogs. I had one on Oasis at their dog house last cruise and became sick as a dog. I think it was the onions.

Great information. We're on Westerdam. I'm well trained in 'grazing' as well. Retired Army 1992 and worked as civil servant for many years.

Retired Army 1991. DOE contractor for many years.

The Westerdam has Chocolate Seduction located just forward of the Shops on Deck 3 for chocolate-related beverages and fruit smoothies. It is a small location with only a few tables/chairs. Here is their menu:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/IMG_0756.pdf

The Dive-In burgers were designed by Guy Fieri from Food Network. Hot dogs are Nathan's. Fries are double fried for extra crispiness.

Edited by Crew News

Retired Army 1991. DOE contractor for many years.

The Westerdam has Chocolate Seduction located just forward of the Shops on Deck 3 for chocolate-related beverages and fruit smoothies. It is a small location with only a few tables/chairs. Here is their menu:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/IMG_0756.pdf

The Dive-In burgers were designed by Guy Fieri from Food Network. Hot dogs are Nathan's. Fries are double fried for extra crispiness.

I know where the wife will be. She loves chocolate cosmopolitans.