How to Best Split up Six People

stickey_mouse

Thanks for the great responses! I'm currently leaning toward the cheaper options to save money for excursions. For some reason, I feel the need to splurge on excursions for Alaska, whereas I'm normally more stingy on Caribbean itineraries.

That makes a lot of sense. If you can get 3 adjoining balcony rooms, you can have your room steward open the dividers and have a nice, big veranda for watching the scenery. Or, just party on the patio. ;)

Thanks for the great responses! I'm currently leaning toward the cheaper options to save money for excursions. For some reason, I feel the need to splurge on excursions for Alaska, whereas I'm normally more stingy on Caribbean itineraries.

Stickey --

I'm in the minority that would choose the 3 verandahs. After two cruises with three adults in a Statendam inside, my DH and I find a verandah quite luxury enough. Especially if all or most have never cruised, this will be exciting and new!

With this choice, everyone gets the same surroundings and perks, and has $220 to spend on ShoreEx upgrades! Especially best if you can get 3-in-a-row and latch open the partitions. (Hint, if you can't book three together now, do not pay in full until you have to, and watch the deckplans like a hawk by doing 'dummie' bookings -- not logged into your account. If an adjoining cabin opens up due to cancellation, get on the phone immediately and move one of the others!) (You MAY be able to do so even after final payment day, when more rooms tend to open up...)

There are plenty of places to go off by yourself without the Neptune Lounge.

I practice what I preach -- I've just booked four adults in two adjoining Lower Promenade oceanviews, and spending the money on much better excursions. Still deciding which ones...

P.S. Peter: we are going to have to cruise together (with our DH's of course) sometime! You are a funny guy!

The following is a hypothetical (but not far off from reality).

For 6 people to cruise to Alaska, we have the following options:

2 people in 3 Veranda Staterooms ($1,200 per person)

2 people in 3 Signature Suites ($1,420 per person)

3 people in 2 Signature Suites ($1,000 per person)

3 people in 2 Neptune Suites ($1,390 per person)

Which would you choose?

FWIW we have sailed many times as a trio in an inside room & were fine. (The youngest was a small child so no height/makeup/squabbling over the couch/other persons budget or need for a balcony or not, etc. issues to deal with)

Just saying that 3 people in a room is doable.

That is where we are on our AK cruise - I want to see bears in the wild - so I'm looking at spending more on one excursion than I have ever spent in total before on excursions in the Caribbean. (I think - maybe some exaggeration - you remember the memories not the price)

For Alaska I would go for the three verandas. It is port intensive and for the glacier viewing days I like to be on a deck where I can see both sides by walking a bit (walking deck or Crow's nest or deck outside Crow's Nest). For one of my trips to Alaska we had an inside cabin across the hall from our friends Neptune cabin. It worked out fine, but I personally did not think the Neptune perks for such a cruise were worth it, and except for the pre-dinner cocktails space, a just plain veranda cabin would have just worked as well for them in my view. However, it is truly a personal decision if the Neptune Suite space and perks are worth the price for any specific cruise. Now on a cruise with lots of lazy days at sea, warmer weather, etc my thoughts would be different.

I too had that exact reaction to the thread title. Sick me!!:p

P.S. Peter: we are going to have to cruise together (with our DH's of course) sometime! You are a funny guy!

Well, I am glad to see I am not the one twisted one out there! :D