Our experience choosing beaches at 7 Mile Beach

h-sar

We were in Grand Cayman on our cruise last week. Prior to leaving, I did a load of research on Cruise Critic about which part of 7 Mile Beach to spend our day. The last time we were there, we ended up at the Royal Palms which I found to be a great experience, but far too busy for my liking. This time, based on Cruise critic advice, I chose Governor's beach for the quiet portion of our beach experience and from there, we moved to Public beach by Calico's to enjoy some food for a more crowded beach vibe and bathrooms for the latter part of the day.

Governor's beach was absolutely beautiful - gorgeous water, awesome sand, and just a few families. There are no facilities, other than a portapotty, and no lounge chairs, leading to a much quieter beach experience. After a couple of hours, we walked about 15 minutes along the water to Public Beach as we knew we would need food and bathrooms later in the day. It was truly the best of both worlds. If you are debating where to go, I urge you to go on trip advisor and check out pictures of Governors Beach. The busier parts with facilities and water toys are only a 15 min walk away.

Edited by h-sar

are governs beach and cemetery beach one in the same? if not what are identifying points of each? Map quest is showing governs is beside calico's but don't know if that is correct.

Governors Beach is beside the Governor's residence and Cemetery Beach is beside the cemetery. Cemetery Beach is at the far end of SMB and Governors is closer to the port, near Governors Square plaza, if you're looking for them on google maps

are governs beach and cemetery beach one in the same? if not what are identifying points of each? Map quest is showing governs is beside calico's but don't know if that is correct.

I had read about Cemetery Beach as another one which was quieter, but chose Governors as I read that it was right next to Public/Calico's and all the amenities. Truly, we had the best of two worlds that day - quiet ambiance with just a half doz families or so, all spread out, no umbrellas obstructing the view (although a couple of the families on land holidays were there with chairs/umbrellas, they did not detract at all from the view), and then moved on to where the kids could do the jet ski and get food. It was about a 15 walk down the beach (head right if you're facing the water) toward the big inflatable toys of Public Beach which are VERY easily visible from Governor's. If you choose this option, definitely do Governor's first while you're not quite needing bathrooms/food, etc. There is some shade at G.B toward the back of the beach with some trees, closer to the parking lot. We were there around 10:00, so the heat/sun wasn't too bad. I believe it was $20 for two chairs and an umbrella at Public, but might have been $15 at 5 a piece...

Wish we'd enjoyed some of the jerk chicken from Seymour's grill which was set up just at the back of Public beach close to the parking lot. Smelled and looked delicious, but we had reservations at the Crown Grill on Regal at 5:30, so were eating light that day. I believe I heard him tell a customer that jerk ch only was $8 and the full meal deal was $10. There was also a hamburger truck next to him, grilling an assorted variety of burgers on a very small grill. They had other snacks and drinks as well. Calico's has a full bar and restaurant and seemed to be a very lively place. It was all a very family friendly atmosphere, but amazes me that two totally different worlds can exist within 15 min of each other!

And now that I've discovered the public bus system in Grand Cayman with incredibly easy access to 7 Mile Beach, I can't wait to repeat this day again!

Edited by h-sar

• 1 month later...

Did you take a taxi or bus to Governors Beach and what was the fare? I have heard it's $4 pp to Royal Palms but figured this was more since it's further down the road. I am also wondering if it was hard to find a taxi to get back to the ship or are they lined up at both Governors and Public beach?

Did you take a taxi or bus to Governors Beach and what was the fare? I have heard it's $4 pp to Royal Palms but figured this was more since it's further down the road. I am also wondering if it was hard to find a taxi to get back to the ship or are they lined up at both Governors and Public beach?

We took a bus both ways. Couldn't have been easier! Here's a copy, paste from my post in early January about using the bus.

Huge thanks goes out to everyone who has posted here about the public buses that go to 7 mile Beach. We were in Grand Cayman last week and caught the bus after a five-minute walk away from the port. It was 2.50 per person one way and incredibly easy to figure out. The main bus terminal is by the library which is a couple of blocks away from the port. We took a left out of the port, missed the turn to the library, and kept walking straight on the street parallel to the water which was on our left. About three blocks away from the port, we saw a public bus coming toward us and waved it down. The driver immediately stopped and picked us up. I was later told by the locals that you do not have to wait at a designated bus stop. Just wave down the small buses, mini van in style, that have a large sign in the windshield saying 'public bus'. The driver actually honks if he sees tourist types walkjng to or from the beach

He dropped us off at Governor's beach as we requested and we caught the bus back from Public beach where we had spent the rest of the day. From Public beach, the bus stop was about a three minute walk away, across the parking lot. We waited on the correct side of the street, as directed by locals, and simply waved down the public bus. The drivers were able to make change for us in US dollars. Could not have been easier or more convenient.

I realize the taxis are also relatively cheap, five dollars one-way per person, but taking the bus was just as easy and half the price. For a family of 4, it all adds up. The buses stop at many locations on 7 Mile Beach, including the Royal Palms where many people end up going. The buses seem to run every few minutes. Locals were incredibly helpful, friendly, and the environment could not have been safer. Great cheap excursion for my family of four. The route is a straight one from the beach to the port and other than the time to drop off passengers at various stops, it did not really take any more longer then it would have in a taxi. It was also nice to chat up the locals on the ride.

I had read about Cemetery Beach as another one which was quieter, but chose Governors as I read that it was right next to Public/Calico's and all the amenities. Truly, we had the best of two worlds that day - quiet ambiance with just a half doz families or so, all spread out, no umbrellas obstructing the view (although a couple of the families on land holidays were there with chairs/umbrellas, they did not detract at all from the view), and then moved on to where the kids could do the jet ski and get food. It was about a 15 walk down the beach (head right if you're facing the water) toward the big inflatable toys of Public Beach which are VERY easily visible from Governor's. If you choose this option, definitely do Governor's first while you're not quite needing bathrooms/food, etc. There is some shade at G.B toward the back of the beach with some trees, closer to the parking lot. We were there around 10:00, so the heat/sun wasn't too bad. I believe it was $20 for two chairs and an umbrella at Public, but might have been $15 at 5 a piece...

Wish we'd enjoyed some of the jerk chicken from Seymour's grill which was set up just at the back of Public beach close to the parking lot. Smelled and looked delicious, but we had reservations at the Crown Grill on Regal at 5:30, so were eating light that day. I believe I heard him tell a customer that jerk ch only was $8 and the full meal deal was $10. There was also a hamburger truck next to him, grilling an assorted variety of burgers on a very small grill. They had other snacks and drinks as well. Calico's has a full bar and restaurant and seemed to be a very lively place. It was all a very family friendly atmosphere, but amazes me that two totally different worlds can exist within 15 min of each other!

And now that I've discovered the public bus system in Grand Cayman with incredibly easy access to 7 Mile Beach, I can't wait to repeat this day again!

When we were there in December we had a couple of plates of jerk pork from the guy with the grill. It was fantastic. In fact, my 10 y/o son said it was the best meat he'd ever eaten.

If you're there, I highly recommend it (as does my 10 year old) :D)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We were in Grand Cayman on our cruise last week. Prior to leaving, I did a load of research on Cruise Critic about which part of 7 Mile Beach to spend our day. The last time we were there, we ended up at the Royal Palms which I found to be a great experience, but far too busy for my liking. This time, based on Cruise critic advice, I chose Governor's beach for the quiet portion of our beach experience and from there, we moved to Public beach by Calico's to enjoy some food for a more crowded beach vibe and bathrooms for the latter part of the day.

Governor's beach was absolutely beautiful - gorgeous water, awesome sand, and just a few families. There are no facilities, other than a portapotty, and no lounge chairs, leading to a much quieter beach experience. After a couple of hours, we walked about 15 minutes along the water to Public Beach as we knew we would need food and bathrooms later in the day. It was truly the best of both worlds. If you are debating where to go, I urge you to go on trip advisor and check out pictures of Governors Beach. The busier parts with facilities and water toys are only a 15 min walk away.

Thank you for post!

We took a bus both ways. Couldn't have been easier! Here's a copy, paste from my post in early January about using the bus.

Huge thanks goes out to everyone who has posted here about the public buses that go to 7 mile Beach. We were in Grand Cayman last week and caught the bus after a five-minute walk away from the port. It was 2.50 per person one way and incredibly easy to figure out. The main bus terminal is by the library which is a couple of blocks away from the port. We took a left out of the port, missed the turn to the library, and kept walking straight on the street parallel to the water which was on our left. About three blocks away from the port, we saw a public bus coming toward us and waved it down. The driver immediately stopped and picked us up. I was later told by the locals that you do not have to wait at a designated bus stop. Just wave down the small buses, mini van in style, that have a large sign in the windshield saying 'public bus'. The driver actually honks if he sees tourist types walkjng to or from the beach

He dropped us off at Governor's beach as we requested and we caught the bus back from Public beach where we had spent the rest of the day. From Public beach, the bus stop was about a three minute walk away, across the parking lot. We waited on the correct side of the street, as directed by locals, and simply waved down the public bus. The drivers were able to make change for us in US dollars. Could not have been easier or more convenient.

I realize the taxis are also relatively cheap, five dollars one-way per person, but taking the bus was just as easy and half the price. For a family of 4, it all adds up. The buses stop at many locations on 7 Mile Beach, including the Royal Palms where many people end up going. The buses seem to run every few minutes. Locals were incredibly helpful, friendly, and the environment could not have been safer. Great cheap excursion for my family of four. The route is a straight one from the beach to the port and other than the time to drop off passengers at various stops, it did not really take any more longer then it would have in a taxi. It was also nice to chat up the locals on the ride.

Thank you too!

We took a taxi to Public beach for $5pp. As soon as you get off the ship you will sea many taxi drivers with signs showing the prices to get to various stops. We decided to walk down to Governors Beach since we just wanted a quiet spot. We took the bus back for $2.50pp. The bus stop is right across the street from Governors. Very easy and cheap. Here's a few pics from Governors.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

For the buses, do they accept US money and do you need exact change?

They take US currency and when we went, they did make change, but I'd have 1's and quarters just in case.