shore excursions caribbean ports

SANDAS

I am off on the Azura in a couple of weeks and wonder if it is worth booking the ship's shore excursions. We are not looking for culture or shopping just snorkling and beach days. Can anyone tell me if these are easily available from local operatives in the ports. We have certainly done that in Aruba and wonder if the other ports are similar.

I wouldn't recommend booking ships trips in the Caribbean. If you have visited Aruba, the other islands are all similar in that there are lots of taxis waiting at the dock. Sometimes you can get a taxi for a couple but many wait until there are 6-8 people which we prefer anyway. They will usually recommend places that you wouldn't find on a ships trip and may drop you at a beach for a couple of hour if that's what you want. Enjoy your trip:)

I've had a quick look at the ports Azura is visiting on the 22 Jan cruise and if that's the cruise you're on, I've been to most of them and in short:

You dock in or close to the town in Barbados, Curacao, Aruba, Tortola, Antigua and Grenada. You can either walk into town (about 15 mins) in St Maarten or get the water taxi across to the Town Quay where there's a beach and all the shops. In all those ports you don't need to do a tour. Beaches are easily reachable by taxi or in some cases walkable. We've always found taxi drivers are really good at advising you which is the best thing to do if you tell them what you're looking for.

I have visited all those ports of call and they are all extremely easy to DIY. There are loads of local operators at all those ports waiting to whisk you away for on average 25USD on an island tour. Otherwise you can just take a taxi to a local beach or attraction.

Everything at a fraction of the cost of ship excursions.

Got home from Azura this morning :( we did a few of your Islands, Tortola we did Escape to Jost Van Dyke with P&O well worth 46 quid each as we were worried about not getting back in time (and we were the last back just in time) Antigua we did the paradise snorkel and beach with P&O, snorkelling was rubbish but the beach was nice and the trip back was a right laugh well worth it. Barbados we got a cab to Tiki beach bar, lovely beach, fun bar. Grenada you can just get a water taxi to a nice beach for $8 return. St Maarten get a cab to Maho beach....seeing the 747 land and take off was one of the best things I've ever witnessed! Not sure if you're going St Lucia but do the P&O beach break...I didn't feel safe there the last time I went so we did this....beach was nice and the water was Crystal clear but there was a lot of hassle but they weren't too bad and they are just trying to make a living most listened when we said no thanks.

We loved Azura, wasn't without faults but you'll have the best time! Enjoy!

Thanks everyone for these really useful tips and comments. I shall print them off. We are on the 22nd Jan Azura - a late, late booking and feeling very pleased with ourselves to be escaping this dreadful rain. What a lovely friendly and helpful lot you all are.

we have been on a few caribbean cruises and always done our trips DIY we are on britanna 29th of jan this time i have booked all trips with p&o and paid for them the reason why is it is great to do it in port but trying to get the best deal (1 doller cheaperif we go with them the guy around the corner will do it cheaper if we go with him )for us this time we dont want the hassle have we paid over the top with p&o YES but they are all paid for so the only dollers we will need is for beach bars what we have saved is time i.e breakfast coach beach not sitting on a minibus in port for 45 mins waiting for the driver to sell the last two seats saving time is worth more then saving the odd pound for us this cruise

Bazlin

If you feel that is what you want to do, well that's fine, but not everybody can afford to pay ship inflated prices in every port. We have also found in the Caribbean that when we have either pre booked a tour or picked one up in the port we have either been in a taxi or mini bus, so not having to be herded around with 50 other people.

At least everybody has the option to choose what suits them.