Explorer Concierge Lounge Open Bar for Suite Guests

My boyfriend and I are going on a 7 day Alaska cruise in June with my family. My mother was sweet enough to spring for the Royal Family Suite for all of us, which I am very excited for!

My question is actually about the cocktail hour lounge situation. Since we're staying in a suite, I understand that we're entitled to the 4:30-8 open bar in the concierge lounge. Neither my boyfriend nor I are C&A members. I've read on CC that the Diamond and concierge lounges have been extremely crowded on cruises lately. Does anyone have any insight on the specific situation for non-diamond suite guests on Explorer? Are there different lounges for Diamonds etc. and Suite cruisers? Is there anywhere comfortable near the concierge lounge for folks to 'spill off' into during the cocktail hours?

I admit we can be somewhat heavy drinkers, but there is absolutely no way we can afford unlimited drink packages, and anyway we plan on being very active during the cruise (8 mile glacier hike!!) so we can't drink enough to make it worth it every night and still function.

Also, whats the specialty coffee like? I hear that is also an amenity, but I haven't heard anything about the quality.

Edited by carbonparadise

carbon paradise welcome to cc .... you will find so much information on this website.

You will love the RFS ... the lounge for suite guests is called the concierge lounge and it is located on deck 9 just near the elevators. The happy hour is between 5 and 8.30 pm each evening. However there are a lot of other benefits that you get from being in a suite. We are cruising next Sunday and received the usual email that suite guests get from the concierge on board the ship you are cruising on .. here is a cut and paste for you:

As a special VIP guest you are offered exclusive amenities and services not available to other guests onboard Explorer of the Seas. For your convenience, here is a brief summary of those services:

Use of the Concierge Lounge, located on Deck 9 aft.

Complimentary fruit plate and Evian Water (glass bottle) on Boarding Day.

Luxury Spa Bathrobes for onboard use.

Upgraded bathroom amenities.

In-room coffee maker with complimentary coffee.

Complimentary Pressing on the first formal night (available for the attire you will wear on the first formal night).

Continental breakfast served daily in the Concierge Lounge, Deck 9 aft from 7:00 am to 10:00 am.

Hors d’ oeuvres, petit fours and complimentary bar setup served in the Concierge Lounge on deck 9 aft every evening, before and after dinner from 5:00pm to 8:30pm.

Daily menus displayed and assistance for pre-ordering your dinner wine.(Concierge Lounge, Deck 9 aft).

Full Dining Room room-service privilege (available when Dining Room is open , dial 8762 for priority).

Priority reservations for our specialty restaurant, sports activities, Explorations!, Salon and Spa appointments (depending on time, availability), etc...

Priority tender tickets on select itineraries (contact your concierge)

Arrangements for private parties

DVD's and Games for Play Station 3 for your use while onboard

(Can be borrowed during the Concierge hours i.e 8:00 am to 11:30 am - 5:00pm till 8:30pm)

Limited VIP lounge chair set-up near the pool bar area between decks 11 & 12.

Priority Port & Shopping advice.

Priority tendering upon request (contact your concierge)

Business services such as faxes, copies, printing of boarding passes etc..

Priority departure , including an exclusive departure lounge featuring continental breakfast

Limited VIP seats for production shows and ice spectacular shows. (Please show Cruise Director’s staffs your Gold colored Sea Pass card at the entrance 20 minutes prior to the show).or see your Concierge for more information.

Suite guest’s exclusive breakfast will be served at Chop's Grill Restaurant from 7:30 am to 9:30 am during port days and 8:00 am to 10:00 am during days at sea. Also during lunch time at the Windjammer Market Place, meal can be also enjoyed inside the Chop's Grill Restaurant dining area using the main entrance of the restaurant. (Please see your service personnel for directions).

The Concierge Lounge is a private area accessible on a 24-hour basis, with your GOLD Coloured Sea Pass card. The Concierge Lounge has been designated a smoke-free area. We respectfully request that guests observe a Smart Casual attire when visiting the lounge (no swim or pool attire is allowed, footwear is required at all times). To ensure all our guests are able to enjoy this exclusive lounge we require that all guests 20 years and younger must be well behaved and accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times.

Regarding your question about the happy hour .... it does not include the full range of drinks that is available if you say purchase a drink package.

Hopefully someone will come and reply to your question and provide the list but it is basic beers, wines and spirits (no cocktails), although on previous cruises the bartender in the concierge lounge (CL) has promoted a drink of the day (can't remember if it is the same as the one that is listed in the daily newsletter you get in your stateroom.

The CL is only for suite guests and C&A members who are D+ and Pinnacle.

C&A members who are Diamond status and above have access to the Diamond Lounge (DL), it is located adjacent to the Viking Crown Lounge on deck 14 of Explorer of the Seas (EOS).. it is a much nicer venue than the CL which has no windows. I believe that the DL gets very busy as there are very many C&A members who have Diamond status and above, hence Royal Caribbean introduced a system where 3 drinks are added to your sea pass/room key each night which you can get from any bar on the ship rather than going to the DL.

... Also, whats the specialty coffee like? I hear that is also an amenity, but I haven't heard anything about the quality.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

The Concierge Lounge has a self-serve coffee machine that makes cappucino, espresso, and latte. It also has hot water for tea. This machine is available for complimentary use, 24 hours. Your stateroom key will give you access to the lounge. I'm not a coffee drinker, but my wife uses the machine daily and is pleased with the quality of the coffee.

My question is actually about the cocktail hour lounge situation. Since we're staying in a suite, I understand that we're entitled to the 4:30-8 open bar it is NOT an open bar at all. the drinks list is limited although not punyin the concierge lounge. Neither my boyfriend nor I are C&A members. I've read on CC that the Diamond and concierge lounges have been extremely crowded on cruises lately. Does anyone have any insight on the specific situation for non-diamond suite guests on Explorer? your only option is the Concierge lounge for cocktail hour if you do not want to buy any drinks or spend money on a package.Are there different lounges for Diamonds etc. and Suite cruisers? Is there anywhere comfortable near the concierge lounge for folks to 'spill off' into during the cocktail hours? they only do that if there is an adjacent area to do so. however they are pretty lenient now with being able to take a drink out of the lounge.

[...]

Also, whats the specialty coffee like? I hear that is also an amenity, but I haven't heard anything about the quality. quite honestly do NOT assume that will be an option at all. last few cruises we have taken the machines have been down the entire time.. in both lounges.

don't forget some of the drink packages include bottled water( useful on 8 mi glacier hikes) and specialty coffee.

even though Diamond and up get vouchers for 3 free drinks valid every day during cocktail hour it has NOT significantly eased the crowding situations.

I found this for you that someone else posted. this is the same exact drink menu available to suite guests in the CL.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48270734&postcount=13

Lounges can be very crowded so it is hit or miss on each cruise. I do believe the old rule of not taking drinks out is pretty much over now with the introduction of vouchers. Most suite guest have to get a to go if they don't have vouchers and the lounge is too crowded. and I agree with spook,vouchers really have not eased the crowding!!:(

I've always thought that calling it specialty coffee is a bit stretched. No flavors. Its just a coffee machine that will make a cappuccino/latte/espresso. No Carmel latte kind of stuff!!;) I like the coffee, my husband does not so it is totally subjective on how good it is!!

have a great time

I believe Concierge lounge guests can also use the Diamond lounge. We have used both on Explorer and the Diamond lounge can expand into the bar area depending on the volume of guests but no matter what, both lounges will be very busy. Take any empty chair and take the time to meet your fellow cruisers.

Both the concierges in either lounge on Explorer are wonderful.

The concierge lounge doesn't have windows and I much preferred the opportunity to look out at the sea from the Diamond lounge.

We very much enjoyed our trip on Explorer. Do take advantage of your chance to get a tour of the Bridge and the galley. Try the sushi making class, it's so fun. And don't miss the ice show. When we were aboard one of the ice show stars was Brandon Mroz, a US national silver medallist. As a suite guest you get priority access to the ice show and can choose lovely seats.

Wish I was going with you!!!

I believe Concierge lounge guests can also use the Diamond lounge.

only Diamonds and up have access to a Diamond lounge. NOT everyone who sails in a suite is Diamond( we are not and are still one cruise short of becoming so)

now yes, we were told by a few Pinnacle that we could use it since we have a gold card, but since the website and all other literature I have seen ONLY offer me access to a Concierge or suite lounge and NOT access to a Diamond lounge I choose to abide by that.

and most people say the only real advantage is the view is typically better. it is still as crowded if not more so.

Was on the Explorer 3 Nov - 13 Nov Singapore in Grand Suite. The room keypass opened the door to both the Concierge Lounge and the Diamond Lounge although we never went into the Diamond lounge in the evening, just used it in the afternoon or lunchtime if we just wanted a snack for lunch (nachos) and mostly we sat out on the lovely deck outside the lounge and played games we brought with us. Most people we spoke to in the Concierge Lounge preferred it in the evenings over the Diamond. It sort of seemed friendlier. They didn't normally do mixed cocktails, more than one spirit, but there was a good range of mixed drinks, I think I had the strongest G & T I've ever had in my life. Drunk quite a lot of Baileys too. They did allow you to take a drink out as you left for dinner or as the lounge closed. There is a nice bar outside the Diamond Lounge where you can get the cocktail of the day, $8.50 from what I remember and you get to keep the nice glass.

• Like 1