Bermuda Cruie

donsbabe

Many like to say that Bermuda is a "civilized" island and that is close to the truth (if you ignore the large prison with its share of druggies). Like much of the Caribbean, Bermuda is about sun, sand and the water. There is some decent shopping on the island (although we can usually find the same decent brands in the USA for less money) and there are some decent restaurants, bars, etc. You cannot rent a car on Bermuda, so getting around becomes part of the fun (bus, shuttle boat, taxi, small motorcycle rentals). If you really want a different type of cruise consider spending the bigger bucks and going to the Med or perhaps Alaska.

Hank

A good thing about a Bermuda Cruise is that you are there for 2-3 days on most cruises. So you have more time to explore the island. There are lots of great shore Excursions offered (a great one is one of the Helmet Dives, really great experience, there are also Crystal Caves, light houses, a perfumery, etc) but it is just as easy to go off on your own. They have pretty good bus and ferry system. You can get a multi day pass that is reasonably priced. The Bermuda Dollar is equal to the US Dollar. There are multiple beautiful beaches.

I have sailed to Bermuda at least three times and they are nice cruises.

I sailed from NYC and from Boston, 7 days round trip.

HAL sails from Boston and docks in downtown Hamilton.

NCL sails from Boston and docks at the Dockyard which requires transportation to Hamilton but I found the area at Dockyard just fine last summer.

NCL's ship is too large, at about 62,000 tons, more or less, for docking downtown.

Edited by sail7seas

Have been to Bermuda many, many times and have always found something new to see or do each time. :) Be sure to read the Bermuda board under ports of call where you'll find lots of information.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196

Here is something else to read with lots of info and pictures.

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/North_America/Bermuda/Things_To_Do-Bermuda-TG-C-1.html

Edited by iheartbda

My late DH and I did a number of resort stays in Bermuda before we ever cruised there. We found it quite different when staying on the island for a week or so vs sailing there. Both are fine but I think one needs to choose which works best for them.

Keep in mind, Bermuda is a rather costly island.

Think of a Caribbean Island without the poverty , bead selling on the beach ,

Several overnights instead of sailing away every night .

Pink sand beaches , museums , golf , aquarium , caves , quality shopping .

Bermuda is unique and all alone out there in the North Atlantic.

Guest maddycat

We've taken Celebrity and RCI cruises to Bermuda. We love Bermuda. It's clean, safe and has an excellent public transportation system of buses and ferries. You can see the island with out taking any tours, just purchase a reasonably priced bus/ferry pass.

Good food, high level of literacy, refined manners, very beautiful island and more than a few restaurants, hotels, bars etc :)

See my underline.

I'll add beaches to round out my response. :D :D

Edited by sail7seas

Wanting to do a different cruise besides Caribbean this year and saw the Bermuda cruise. What is there to do in Bermuda?

Here's my short list of things to do:

SBtS

Love,love,love bermuda!....and using the ship as a nice hotel was a novel and fun experience....the above list says it all....and don't forget a rum swizzle,fish sandwich and bermuda chowder at the swizzle inn.....pink sands beach can't be beat!

"What is there to do in Bermuda?"

Well, to begin with, in general terms, there is everything that is possible on any other island: beaches, shopping, restaurants, local attractions, etc. The primary difference is that all of these options are better than any offered on any Caribbean island.

Determine what sort of general activity interests you, and then do a little research on Ports of Call - or even in your library.

Two things making Bermuda really different are the excellant public transportation network which puts all options within reach, and the general level of education and civility which makes interacting with the residents easier and more enjoyable.