Newbie liquor & internet questions ~ Marina

some1else

Sailing on the Marina in South Pacific in a couple weeks.

I have the same old questions. (I don't find the Oceania website very user friendly and when I search the forums there isn't recent information)

We are in a Verandah B3 stateroom, so don't qualify for free internet. .99 cents a minute seems expensive. In the Internet Center on the ship (or any other common areas) is there free wifi available?

Can you purchase bottles of hard liquor in the gift shop for consumption in your stateroom?

Has anyone packed bottles of liquor in their suitcases (not carry on) to bring onboard? Is it true these bottles are confiscated?

We are in a Verandah B3 stateroom, so don't qualify for free internet. .99 cents a minute seems expensive. In the Internet Center on the ship (or any other common areas) is there free wifi available? You might find free WiFi on shore you can buy one of the packages on the ship $27.99 per day for unlimited or 200 min for $160

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/experience/value/internet-packages/

Can you purchase bottles of hard liquor in the gift shop for consumption in your stateroom? no liquor sales in the gift shop

Has anyone packed bottles of liquor in their suitcases (not carry on) to bring onboard? Is it true these bottles are confiscated?

Just put it in your carry on like everyone else does;)

Edited by LHT28

We are in a Verandah B3 stateroom, so don't qualify for free internet. .99 cents a minute seems expensive. In the Internet Center on the ship (or any other common areas) is there free wifi available?

You may find free Internet ashore, but never on the ship itself.

Can you purchase bottles of hard liquor in the gift shop for consumption in your stateroom?

No, because the Onboard Shops don't stock liquor.

Just put it in your carry on like everyone else does

On other Lines, liquor from ashore is definitely confiscated, but Oceania does not do so. Please note that outside Liquor is permitted for "in Stateroom" consumption only, and may not be transported into any of the Lounges, Theaters, or on Deck.

Edited by StanandJim

Just put it in your carry on like everyone else does;)

And have TSA/security confiscate the bottle from your carry on... 4 oz is the legal limit for carry on You put it in a suit case or loose it.

You cant buy in the gift shop for on board however, you can order for your cabin pre cruise bottles...

My suggestions regarding the alcohol:

1. Pack it into your checked luggage, knowing possibility of breakage on the flight from Canada to the South Pacific. If it does not break, it will be awaiting for you in your checked luggage when you unpack

2. Purchase bottles at your port of embarkation. Ask around on the forums regarding alcohol stores or availability in the port or around the port that you can make a quick visit before the ship sales

3. Always the possibility of a duty free purchase and then can carry on as Lyn suggested.

Thank you all for being helpful and taking the time to reply. I appreciate your kindness.

On our previous and only cruise, we were subject to security procedures similar to airports. Those passengers that tried to bring duty-free liquor aboard, had it confiscated and it was held for them till time of disembarking.

The gift shops onboard had duty free liquor available for purchase. (At exorbitant prices of course)

We enjoy a beverage in the evening on the privacy of our balcony. I think we will have it preordered and put in our stateroom. Even though I resent paying $100 bottle.

Thanks again.

We enjoy a beverage in the evening on the privacy of our balcony. I think we will have it preordered and put in our stateroom. Even though I resent paying $100 bottle.

Thanks again.

If you are connecting enroute buy the duty free at your last connection airport then you will have it when you arrive

otherwise the airport security will confiscated it at the connecting airport unless you can somehow get into your checked bags

Most of the time it is through checked but not sure on going to the South Pacific

Thank you all for being helpful and taking the time to reply. I appreciate your kindness.

On our previous and only cruise, we were subject to security procedures similar to airports. Those passengers that tried to bring duty-free liquor aboard, had it confiscated and it was held for them till time of disembarking.

The gift shops onboard had duty free liquor available for purchase. (At exorbitant prices of course)

Thanks again.

I think you missed the point of a few posts. O does NOT limit how much liquor you bring on-board (within reasonable limits). You can either 1) pack a bottle in your checked luggage so it makes it through the airport experience (there are plenty of packing devices to ensure the bottle doesn't break or leas) or 2) stop at a liquor store at your port and then just carry it on board (it will NOT be confiscated like many other cruise lines).

On my last cruise, I packed two bottles of red wine and had not trouble at all, and the room stewart was most helpful in securing wine glasses. There are cork screws in the room. There are plenty of mixers in the room fridge.

There is no need to pay O's inflated (IMHO) liquor prices (what are you getting for $100 a bottle?).

Good luck!

John

On our South America cruise, we had fun buying Malbecs and other local wines in Buenos Aires and Uruguay. Never a problem bringing wine onto the ship after a day ashore. For a $25 corkage fee, you can have the wine served at dinner. At ship prices, a break even at the very least and a nice change from the limited ship offerings. If you don't finish your wine, they will hold it for you for use in any venue. We also enjoyed wine in our cabin.

I have decanted our favorite liquor into a plastic bottle designed for the purpose and put it in our checked luggage. We sometimes like a bit of cognac at bedtime. If we wanted appropriate glasses, we just asked at the bar and they gave them to us.

It has been years since we traveled on a different cruise line. One of the things we like best about Oceania is the fact that we are treated like adults.

Mary

Your in for sticker shock in Tahiti...the highest liquor prices I have seen

In the south pacific the prem package is the deal... trade you shore ex or internet for it....like to enjoy on the veranda...order room service using your prem package...

The last time I ordered a bottle on O for cabin,I think is was around $25-28 a ltr. of Grey Goose The $100??? might be for a bar set up with mixers etc

Speaking of which you might find it interesting that Costco vodka is made by grey goose!!! Too, you can buy Johnny Walker red for 12 a half gallon under the name Scorsby. and of course Caymus is available under Liberty School and finaly Petrus and chateau Dominus are the same folks... one $400 a bottle the other 130-150. cheers

Regarding the internet, service in the middle of the Pacific Ocean was almost nil during several days of our cruise from Valparaiso to Papeete. We had free wifi, but it was useless for those days. I can't imagine paying the daily rate and not being able to use it. Take it as a sign that you are on the cruise to relax and talk to other people :)

We are leaving Vancouver for Papeete Feb 3 to Sydney (18 day) and expect to purchase our liquor in the duty free in LAX. We will be on our 13th cruise with O and have never had a problem bringing liquor on board within reason.

The happy hours on board are also good, 2 for 1 the 5-6 hour is often extended way past 6 and it is a great place to meet new friends.

Internet is slow. You can use O computer room and pay as you go.

Hopefully you are on the same cruise.

Marianne

You can bring liquor, beer and wine aboard not only at embarkation, but at any port. It will not be confiscated; indeed, no one will notice or care (it will show up in the security Xray when boarding, but if it's not a weapon, security will; ignore it. In most ports, you'll find the best bargains in the local grocery store. We're on board now, and so far, in Aruba and Curacao, we've purchased and brought on board 9 local beers, 3 bottles of rum cream (2 of them on sale), 3 bottles of wine, and bottles of Frangelico, Amaretto and Godiva liqueur. We're stocking up for the remainder of our 180 day cruise...Betsy will buy a local beer in any country that brews their own.

...There is no corkage fee unless you take wine to the dining room; all the adult beverages are intended for consumption in your cabin. Oceania treats it's guests as responsible adults; these privileges could always be rescinded if folks take advantage of it and carry their own drinks around the ship. Oceania has a clause in their terms and conditions to cover that possibility, or to chastise obnoxious drunks.

Some folks have been known to bring cases or wine and a case or more of mixed liquor on board. Absolutely no reason to pay ship prices.