ROME: Best way to get there from the Port

j2stoike

Hi All,

My boyfriend and I are traveling on the NCL Epic in a couple weeks. This is our first time to Europe and we are feeling a bit overwhelmed with the final planning. We aren't very interested in the cruise tours and would like to go to Rome. Can you advise best way to get to Rome form the Cruise port? Taxi, Rail, etc? If you have an estimate on costs that would be great. Seriously though any suggestions on sites to see would be great as well. HELP! Thanks!

Jen

You might want to look into a copy of Rick Steves' Guide to Mediterranean ports. The book will give all the public transportation options and provide site-seeing tips for you port cities. He also gives a hat tip to CC role calls for excursions.

Another good source is Tom's Port Guides. This is a non commercial guide to cruise ports put together by an avid cruiser. Note: not all the Med ports are covered but he has done many of the major ports. One worry is that things might might be up to date...but I looked through Civitavecchia and it looks like he has updated it for the new shuttle stop. Here is a link for Civitavecchia:

http://www.tomsportguides.com/uploads/5/8/5/4/58547429/rome_civitavecchia_08-07-2012.pdf

Here is the link to Livorno:

http://www.tomsportguides.com/uploads/5/8/5/4/58547429/livorno-09-25-2013.pdf

You should decide what you want to in Rome before deciding on your transportation options. And the "best" way will likely be defined by your budget. By train is most affordable and quite easy if you take the time to read up on the process and locations of things. Use this forum for those details. Others find that they prefer the comfort of a private car that they have hired in advance. This might include a tour guide, if you feel you need one or it might just be transportation to the city. This is a lot more expensive. Taxis into Rome are not generally used due to the distance and expense it would incur.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

As others have pointed out to you, "best" is a value judgement and absent knowing your particular values we can't give you a good answer.

In terms of cost, the range goes from €12 (the BIRG ticket, which covers regional train fare to Rome and back as well as all mass transit in Rome for the entire day) to about €150 each way for a taxi to €500+ for a private car service.

Another good source is Tom's Port Guides. This is a non commercial guide to cruise ports put together by an avid cruiser. Note: not all the Med ports are covered but he has done many of the major ports. One worry is that things might might be up to date...but I looked through Civitavecchia and it looks like he has updated it for the new shuttle stop.

Just a caveat that I wouldn't depend on Tom's Port Guides as a sole source. His info on what to see and do in Rome is good but a bit limited (I assume based on what he has researched for his own trips.) There is a wealth of other options in Rome that he doesn't mention....

Just a caveat that I wouldn't depend on Tom's Port Guides as a sole source. His info on what to see and do in Rome is good but a bit limited (I assume based on what he has researched for his own trips.) There is a wealth of other options in Rome that he doesn't mention....

True. What he does best is give the logistics from getting from port to the sites/ cities he has been. And, even that stuff can change.

It is a useful tool for the timid on using public transportation because he uses screen shots of the websites, pictures of ticket machines and pictures of streets, so he makes it seem less intimidating.

But, he isn't a professional travel writer and someone like you and Eurocruiser have probably forgotten more things in Rome, than he ever knew about the city and environs.