Alaska Cruise with 21 month old

sarahs158

We are traveling to Alaska via Celebrity Cruises with our extended family. My son will be about 21 months when we travel. I know majority of the people on here might say to not take this young of a child to Alaska, but I am looking for any tips from previous families that have taken young kids to Alaska. We have booked excursions that are short distances and more hopefully related to our child. Thanks for any help!

We took our son when he was almost potty trained... (Not quite 3 strikes & he was out - couldn't get the button unbuttoned, etc.) so quite a bit older, but still young

We were on HAL & they had to be potty trained to participate. (Not sure about your line)

When our son was 2, we took him on Carnival where they changed his diapers.

In Skagway, we did a DIY driving tour with a gal (sorry can't remember her name) who had a car seat.

We took him on the big blue bus (I think) to Mendenhal Glacier in Juneau (without a car seat).

7376373662_093fa5e9c5.jpgDSCF8195 by Amy S, on Flickr

In Ketchikan we just walked around.

I was looking for any tips including excursion tips, port recommendations, on board experience, travel tips, etc. We will be doing a cruise from Seward to Vancouver. I have booked an excursion in Skagway for dog sled tour and camp. Thanks for link.

My advice is to try to think like an Alaskan. Alaskans take their newborns on airplanes, floatplanes, helicopters, ferries, dog sleds, 4 wheelers, snow machines, etc...because it is our way of life and how we get around. For you, this is a once in a lifetime adventure to get to travel with your little one! Just go with the flow and be prepared.

I am going to direct you to the Family portion of this board and maybe ask them what they did in Alaska.

I have seen toddlers on whale watching trips (Orca Enterprises).

Edited by Coral