Cell phones

Mango Mike

Really very simple - you cannot use your cell phone on the ship without using the ship's Cellular at Sea system at something like a couple $$ a minute.

I find giving the number on board adequate while on a cruise. Next one is a TA. What in the heck could I do anyway?

Not according to Verizon. I was told (and have our conversation emailed and printed for reference) that the $40 Verizon cost is all I would pay (plus any obvious overages and taxes) and that there would be no additional charges from Celebrity. I verified this with Verizon numerous times.

We're US residents/Verizon customers, going to the Caribbean on the Eclipse Feb 7, going to 7 islands over 2 weeks.

I recently called Verizon and was told about a $40/month International Plan that includes 100 minutes, 100 texts (I think outgoing, plus some incoming), and a small amount of data (like 1mb).

I plan to activate this (and make sure I fully understand the details) right before we leave, then cancel it when we get back.

Seems pretty reasonable, relatively speaking.

I also got 2 different answers when I asked whether we could use it on the ship without further charges. If I'm not convinced 100% on way or the other, we'll stick to just using it in port (keep it off or in airplane mode otherwise).

On our last cruise to Alaska, so we didn't need an International Plan, but we made a point to get away from the ship before calling home, in order to not accidentally use the ship's signal. So again, unless I'm truly convinced things are different now, we'll do the same here.

That's the plan that I used when I went to Europe last summer. I'm not sure about how, or if, it works on the ship. However, once you go over your 100mb of data, they will charge you another $25 (automatically) for the next 100mb of data. That keeps happening as you use data. It's so easy to use 100mb!

Not according to Verizon. I was told (and have our conversation emailed and printed for reference) that the $40 Verizon cost is all I would pay (plus any obvious overages and taxes) and that there would be no additional charges from Celebrity. I verified this with Verizon numerous times.

Mango Mike- you are correct. I used Verizon's $40 plan on our last two cruises (including the Baltics to Russia and back). It worked as advertised. Both on ship and on land. No extra charges on either if you remain within your minutes and texts. You do need to pay attention to country codes to use it properly and on ship you dial a different prefix. But it does really work and it is very straight forward.

Very true, I told my friend the other day who will be watching my cats what my number while on the cruise will be in case anything happens to them and she responded with "if something did happen there isn't exactly a whole lot you can do about it, just enjoy your trip" - she did have a very good point, mind you if something did happen at home while away I'd want to know about it, even if there isn't anything I can DO about it.

I'm curious about that - why? The situation does not change, whether you know or not - so why ruin your vacation?

Mango Mike- you are correct. I used Verizon's $40 plan on our last two cruises (including the Baltics to Russia and back). It worked as advertised. Both on ship and on land. No extra charges on either if you remain within your minutes and texts. You do need to pay attention to country codes to use it properly and on ship you dial a different prefix. But it does really work and it is very straight forward.

Thanks for the confirmation on the plan. I think we will go ahead and activate the plan on one of our phones for our cruise next month.

BTW, it appears that we are practically neighbors!

Woo Hoo!!

Will go with this plan then. (also making my mother-in-law very happy knowing we can keep in touch for a couple minutes - she's also a worrier).

Thanks everyone.

I will probably get slammed for this but for all of you that activate your phones on the ship - PLEASE don't stand on your balcony and call home!!!

We had next door neighbors on our last cruise who must have had a really inexpensive plan because they regularly chatted (maybe that's the wrong word because it was extremely loud and could be heard even in my cabin) with people at home about how wonderful the cruise was and other "important" matters.

When you're on your balcony sound carries and people tend to talk a little louder than usual on a phone so please be considerate!

Thanks!

Oh dopey me....

A couple more quick questions:

1) I'm shutting off the data roaming on my phone (only going to use the voice/text part). Are picture messages text or data?

2) Verizon already told me I need to dial 011 then 1 then the number when calling from the ship, but what about from port? Where do I find the country codes?

Thanks again.

I was on Eclipse last month from Miami visiting Haiti, Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao. I signed up for both the $40 (100mb/100min/100text) plan and the $10/day Travelpass. The $10/day Travelpass was good in all 4 ports. It essentially lets you use your phone/text/data just like you would in the US for $10/day. Great option rather than trying to find a good wifi when you get in port. It's an automatic charge once you start using your phone in the country, so you're not getting charged every day of the month - just the days you actually need it.

I figured the $40 plan would cover me for the time on the ship since the ship isn't covered under the new Travelpass plan.

Here's where the problem happened - as you sail around the Caribbean, you get close to countries and you phone automatically switches to their network instead of the ship's network. So as I was using my data on the ship, I would actually trigger the $10/day travelpass for other countries. I have 2 different days charged for Haiti even though I was only there once. Another day for "Caribbean", what ever country that is, when we were at sea. And I even got charged for data in Cuba!

I might call Verizon to see what they can adjust but I think if they switched the data that was used under the Travelpass plan to the $40 plan, it would just trigger a $25 overage there.

Lesson learned.

I was on Eclipse last month from Miami visiting Haiti, Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao. I signed up for both the $40 (100mb/100min/100text) plan and the $10/day Travelpass. The $10/day Travelpass was good in all 4 ports. It essentially lets you use your phone/text/data just like you would in the US for $10/day. Great option rather than trying to find a good wifi when you get in port. It's an automatic charge once you start using your phone in the country, so you're not getting charged every day of the month - just the days you actually need it.

I figured the $40 plan would cover me for the time on the ship since the ship isn't covered under the new Travelpass plan.

Here's where the problem happened - as you sail around the Caribbean, you get close to countries and you phone automatically switches to their network instead of the ship's network. So as I was using my data on the ship, I would actually trigger the $10/day travelpass for other countries. I have 2 different days charged for Haiti even though I was only there once. Another day for "Caribbean", what ever country that is, when we were at sea. And I even got charged for data in Cuba!

I might call Verizon to see what they can adjust but I think if they switched the data that was used under the Travelpass plan to the $40 plan, it would just trigger a $25 overage there.

Lesson learned.

UPDATE: I contacted Verizon and they credited me for the 2 extra Travelpass days as well as the data charged from Cuba! They're confusing at times but Verizon customer service is usually pretty good about making adjustments to your bill

Oh dopey me....

A couple more quick questions:

1) I'm shutting off the data roaming on my phone (only going to use the voice/text part). Are picture messages text or data?

2) Verizon already told me I need to dial 011 then 1 then the number when calling from the ship, but what about from port? Where do I find the country codes?

Thanks again.

If you are using simple "SMS" texting with no data roaming I don't think you are able to text pictures. You would need to do that through the internet from a port or on the ship if you are paying for internet.

for calling from the ship you prefix 011. From ports you use +(country code). For example to call the US you would use +1. On most phones you can get the +sign by holding down the number zero briefly.

I'm curious about that - why? The situation does not change, whether you know or not - so why ruin your vacation?

You're right, I actually told her last night if anything happens not to tell me just notify my point of contact at home :P

Just wanted to add that Travelpass (it was going to be $2 a day to use in Mexico) does not work if you have an unlimited data plan. :( The VZN tech suggesetd that if I gave it up, I could use the $2 a day pass. Nice try, VZN! :rolleyes: Not worth giving it up to use my phone in Puerto Vallarta. But for $40 a month I could get a plan that worked on the ship. 100 text, 100 minutes, and some data.. can't remember how much. Think I'll pass on that. $2 to call home sounded good... $40... not so good.